mtbr member

What was the beer that got you drinking beer?

For me, it was Warsteiner Dunkel. I don't drink it much anymore, and when I do, it's okay, but that one really opened my eyes to the world of beer.

Before that it was Labatts, Molson, Killians, or Heineken, and none of those ever really got me excited about beer...
    I was never very athletic, academic, or handsome - so I rode bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    First it was Icehouse. Then Pete's Wicked Ale. Then Pete's Wicked Summer Brew. Then Pete's Strawberry Blonde.

mtbr member
    Whatever you could get your hands on when you were 18 and in college?
    '15 Ibis HD3
    {insert N+1 here}
    '13 SC Juliana 650b'd (wife's)

SPECIALizED
    Dec 2010
    Probably the Olympia my dad let me try when I was 10.

broken hipster
    After all of the usual domestics a friend turned me on to Henry Weinhard's in the early 80's. Nothing exotic just a step up and a realization there's more to beer.
    It's been a great ride.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    I started off Drinking Rolling Rock because my Alcoholic EX-Brother in law drank it and when he would come over that is what he would bring, I was only 19 at the time (yes I got married at 19, still am married at age 37.....).

When I turned 21 I started purchasing Rolling Rock and then was turned on to Newcastle and I drank that until I discovered Craft Beer around 2003/2004. It was then that I had Alesmith ESB and I left Macro Beer in the dust.

So for me Alesmith is what turned be on to Good Beer. But it was not the first beer I drank.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    It was Guinness, a long time ago. I thought to myself, "there is beer that doesn't taste like shit".

Resident Gear Head
    Odell IPA
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

Ludicrous Speed
    Jul 2015
    "Got Me Drinking" .. For me that is slightly less romantic of a story.. I was a mere 16 when my coworkers started telling me to join them after work for drinks. Somehow I held out until I turned 18 - they took me to a few strip clubs on my 18th birthday ( the only birthday day I have ever worked in my life - they said they would not take me out if I called in sick ). Many of the strip clubs had a 2 drink minimum and since I was with 10 guys who looked plenty old enough to drink - I got to drink too ( probably doesn't work that way these days )...

Anyway, back in those days "Avalanche" was about the most popular thing around in colorado restaurants, pubs, bars, etc. The guys from work would order 3 pitchers of that - so that is what I was "allowed to sneak" a drink of while we were all out for dinner. After a few months of "sneaking" drinks - all the staff just assumed I was legal. Then "Fat Tire" quickly became the most popular drink, and since all my coworkers did the ordering, that is what I started drinking.

I drank that nasty intestine bomb until I got a new job and then I was introduced to IPA's by my new boss and it's been IPA ever since.

Somehow I just killed a 15 gallon keg of Fort George Vortex IPA yesterday and I bought the darn thing less than 30 days ago.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Back then Heineken and lowenbrau were the imports. I kinda wonder what lowenbrau is now, we don't see it anymore. The Henry weinhards started showing up.

mtbr member
    Lowenbrau is one of Munich's big 6, now part of Spaten, now all part of conglomerate that owns Anheuser-Busch as well now.

It's fairly available where I am in a few different styles, but it's not my favorite Munich brewery.

These days I usually prefer something from Paulaner or Augustinerbrau from those big Munich breweries.
    I was never very athletic, academic, or handsome - so I rode bikes.