mtbr member

What beer do you prefer in a bottle over draft?

99.9% of the time, I prefer draft/draught beer over bottled any day. But for some reason, Kona Longboard just taste better in a bottle. What beer do you prefer in a bottle over draft?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    When I go to dive bars, I drink bottles. God knows when their lines were cleaned last.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    When I go to dive bars, I drink bottles. God knows when their lines were cleaned last.
    Well, it's rare for dive bars to have anything on tap but Coors and PBR

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Agreed, if I am in a local dive, I go bottle. If I am in a taphouse, who looks legit, then I go draft.

As for what I would choose over draft if the lines are theoretically perfectly clean?
    There are a few bottle conditioned beers that I feel mature better and change with age over time. For example "the Abyss" would be one beer I would like in a bottle rather than draft.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Hop Head
    Sorry, but this is the reverse of the thread title...

Avery Maharaja. I had it on tap and it was f-ing amazing. Had it in a 750 last week, its was too sweet and frankly kinda gross.
    2011 GF Hifi Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    For example "the Abyss" would be one beer I would like in a bottle rather than draft.
    Do you at least pour it in a glass? Drinking stout straight up in a bottle to me is like sucking tequila on a straw

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toofdoc View Post
    Sorry, but this is the reverse of the thread title...

Avery Maharaja. I had it on tap and it was f-ing amazing. Had it in a 750 last week, its was too sweet and frankly kinda gross.
    That's the mystery...I don't understand how brew can taste so different being "packaged/stored" a different way.

\m/{-_-}\m/
    Dive bars and cheap beers only. Miller High Life is my go-to dive bar bottle.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    For some reason my old stand by when I lived in Pennsylvania, Yuengling Lager. Tastes way better to me in bottle than it does on tap.

Sebt frm my iPhne usig Tapaak

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by adonis_abril View Post
    Do you at least pour it in a glass? Drinking stout straight up in a bottle to me is like sucking tequila on a straw
    Dude, who do you think I am

All beer should be poured in a glass, unless its mandatory to be hidden in a brown bag, then its out of the bottle.

Beer Me!
    That's the mystery...I don't understand how brew can taste so different being "packaged/stored" a different way.
    Depends on the brewer. Many small craft brewery's do not filter their beers, based upon the amount of beer in the container the yeast can do different things. Additionally some breweries bottle condition to achieve carbonation in bottles, while their kegs are force carbonated. The former uses live yeast to make your bubbles and as a result also makes more yeasty flavors, potentially very slightly higher alcohol, and the sediment in the bottom of the bottle. The latter is strait up the brewed beer with no additional changes once it goes into the keg.

As already mentioned, Tap lines should be cleaned monthly. Unfortunately most regular pubs do not do so. In some cases tap lines are considered the property of the brewery, so its the breweries responsibility to verify they are clean. Dirty lines won't make you sick, but they will change the beer substantially both in flavor and mouth feel.

MTB Fanatic
    I've never had a beer that was better in the bottle than draft. Course, I very rarely drink straight out of the bottle. The only reason I would do that is if I was at a friend's house and he offered me Bud Lite. Don't want to be rude, so I'd drink it as fast as possible so I don't have to taste that watered down horse piss. I like to pour a good beer into a pint glass.

mtbr member
    In addition to what Guerdonian said, there is the issue of a lot of the hop profile of an IPA (like a Avery Maharaja) breaking down relatively quickly in the bottle. A 2-3 week old IPA on tap (assuming that the taps at the bar turn over frequently) is going to taste dramatically different than the same beer that's been sitting in a liquor store's storage room for 3-4 months.

Conversely, a lot of bigger Stouts and Barleywines, etc. can taste better when they have had time to mellow or age in the bottle since they have relatively little hop profile and higher alcohol content.

mtbr member
    Guerdonian & Carl, do you guys brew beer or something? Awesome info, cheers!

P.S. Conversely, I don't like the Kona in a glass..straight from a very cold bottle is the way to go...kinda like Corona, I can't drink that beer in a glass (that and it just taste like piss water). Amber and brown ale I drink in a glass.

mtbr member
    No, just a nerd.

Beer Me!
    Yea. I home brew. I also have a couple friends in the brewing industry. Mostly a beer nerd that won't turn his nose up at bud light.

Drew
    Usually go draft.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I always refer beer most of my friend really love it.
    online pharmacy and feel-good pharmacy or hyvšn mielen apteekki

Afric Pepperbird
    Old Style

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bottled Sculpin over draught. I've had it on tap a few times and never enjoy it much. Pour it out of a bottle and I enjoy it.

I rarely drink anything "out of the bottle". Pour out of bottle into pint glass

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'll probabily say Orion beer (Japanese premium beer.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Mgd

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Boo beer