Paper Mill Aleworks

Weyerbacher is leading by example!

I love this, and can't ever say enough good things about my favorite local brewery.

From mybeerbuzz.com
    When I first saw labels approved for Verboten Brewing in Loveland, TX, I’m sad to say I immediately wondered if Weyerbacher would sue. Keep in mind Weyerbacher actually had to change their beer Zotten to Verboten to avoid legal issues in March 2010. Now we have details that Weyerbacher, who owns the Verboten trademark, will not pursue litigation against Verboten brewing…..this from Westword:

Weyerbacher Brewing, an Easton, Pennsylvania company, owns the nationwide rights to the name because it trademarked the name of its Belgian-style pale ale, Verboten. But unlike some other recent trademark battles in the craft-brewing industry -- most notably those involving Denver's Strange Brewing -- this tale has a happier ending.

"We found out about it right around the Great American Beer Festival...so, we met with two lawyers who said we'd have to change our name," says Angeline Grenz, who owns the brewery along with her husband, Josh, and another couple, Joe and Keri Akers. "We love the name, but we were really sweating because of the whole Strange thing."

So, Grenz e-mailed Dan Weirback, who founded Weyerbacher in 1995, to explain the situation. "He sent us back a really nice e-mail and said he wasn't into litigation. He was very generous, and he said that that was the way the industry should be."

Although Verboten's owners are still awaiting the final paperwork, Grenz says they worked out a legal agreement with Weyerbach that allows Verboten to use its name and logo in Colorado as long as they don't actually brew a beer called "Verboten."
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Beer Please!
    very cool.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Hi.
    I like them more and more. Great beer, huge variety, willing to take risks and they seem like good people. Love it.

mtbr member
    I tried the Double Simcoe and could hardly finish it, I still am sitting on the remaining 3 and will probably pour another one just to give it a second chance. Will either drain pour or give it away if there is a taker.

I asked the beer guy at my local store about the flavor and if it was old or is that just how it tastes, he said it was not old and he did'nt care for it either.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    Wasn't trying to be a dick in the above post I would just say the Double Simcoe wasn't good for me. So I was disappointed with that purchase.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    I love Double Simcoe! I guess we all have different tastes?
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by dickeydoo View Post
    Wasn't trying to be a dick in the above post I would just say the Double Simcoe wasn't good for me. So I was disappointed with that purchase.
    Different tastes, don't sweat it.
    If we all liked the same beer, this would be a boring forum
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Good stuff!

They make some seriously top notch beers. Glad to see they are good folks too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Simcoe is probably my favorite east coast IPA/Double. DF 90 is always good as an alternative for people not on the east coast.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dickeydoo View Post
    I tried the Double Simcoe and could hardly finish it, I still am sitting on the remaining 3 and will probably pour another one just to give it a second chance. Will either drain pour or give it away if there is a taker.

I asked the beer guy at my local store about the flavor and if it was old or is that just how it tastes, he said it was not old and he did'nt care for it either.
    is it because of the hops? You might be used to Cascade.

mtbr member
    ^^^^^ It could be, aren't they known to be a more harsh tasting hop?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Not to go too off-topic, I'm not into the ingredient loop (mostly the same anyway just tweaked differently) but I'm pretty sure most of our US hoppy beers use Cascade hops, not all though. A lot of Europeans don't like Cascade hops because it reminds them of cat urine. It's definitely a personal preference. Simcoe is different but it's in my top five all time, number one or two in IPAs.

Also did you look at the date? IPAs are always better fresher most of the time. Some of that stuff can sit.

mtbr member
    I always look for dates and the bottle in the 4 pack I bought had no date, I looked extremely close and it wasn't dated. I bought it anyway because I had read good reviews.

A few weeks later I found out from someone that not all of the bottles have date on them. I checked another bottle and it was dated, WTF, shouldn't they date all of them? It was bottled in Dec 2012 and I bought it around mid Feb. so it wasn't too old. I did pour another one of these this week and wasn't as bad as I remember. I would still pass on this one.

At this point I will never buy an IPA or any beer style that doesn't age well unless it is dated. However I will buy from my local store when I know the beer is fresh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Oh, that is not old at all. There have been a few times where I've bought an IPA, took a sip, made a sour face, looked and it was a week before its date. One time I drank an IPA past it's recommended time and it is nasty. No fault of anyone's, distribution gets messed up sometimes, I'd just rather buy it on sale. LOL

Do you like Stouts? They age well. Weyerbacher's Heresy is very good.