Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: wesvleteren 12

Plays with tools

wesvleteren 12

I got a chance to try a bottle of this wonderful beer last night. Normally i feel beer that have a to of hype around them don't live up to there reputation. This was an exception. It had lots of depth and wonderfully complex flavors. I don't care for high carbonation and if there was one thing I would say is a negative about the westy that's it. But it s true to style. Huge thanks to Wade at Vulture for sharing this with us last night.

Hi.
    It's an awesome beer. We did a blind tasting with Westy 12, St. Bernadus 12, Rochefort 10 and 2008 Pannepot and Westy was the clear winner. It is deep, rich, and absolutely delicious.

I just hate all the idiots trying to sell it on craigslist and eBay right now. Fools.

Plays with tools
    Apparently the monks are not happy about it either. If they aren't forced to export it to the US in the future I doubt they will do it voluntarily.

Another interesting Westy factoid, they use a different yeast to bottle condition to keep competitors from propagating there house yeast strain.

Plays with tools
    HOLY ****, I just checked ebay to see what people where listing it for, $500+ for the 6 pack set, no thanks. It will be interesting to see what they actually trade hands for. It's certainly greedy though. Any idea what it sells for at the gates of the monistary?

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    HOLY ****, I just checked ebay to see what people where listing it for, $500+ for the 6 pack set, no thanks. It will be interesting to see what they actually trade hands for. It's certainly greedy though. Any idea what it sells for at the gates of the monistary?

I really don't understand this. You can buy it at Belgiuminabox.com for around $220 USD shipped. You can buy Westy singles there, and a few other websites that ship to the US. Why the hell are people buying this on eBay? The stupidity of humans never ceases to amaze me.

For the second part of your question, they were 25 euro per box when initially released in Belgium. A crate of 24 bottles is 39 euro from the monastery, and a six pack of glasses is 17 euro.

Beer Please!

Look what I picked up from my brother this weekend!

Those Westy's sure look good in my collection!

He also gave me the rodebauch in a trade for my last Ovila and we shared my bottle of Karl Strauss 22nd Anniversary Vanilla Imperial Stout, 25% aged in Bourbon Barrels. I had been sitting on this bottle for 2 years.

Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ^^ Nice collection! I wish I had the space for a beer fridge like that. I also have the Westy 12 gift pack pictured, and the Chimay chalices (Chimay Grand Reserve is my go-to beer for sure).

I was also very happy with the Westvleteren, trying not to bias too much based on its rareness and decorated reputation can be difficult but I genuinely enjoyed it. Reminded me of Gulden Draak, personally.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I pick up mine this w/e- can't wait! (being held by a friend)
    Hmmm, I'll try to take a pic of them in my beer fridge. (Definitely not as well sorted as Klurejr's, but certainly at least as enviable)

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    I pick up mine this w/e- can't wait! (being held by a friend)
    Hmmm, I'll try to take a pic of them in my beer fridge. (Definitely not as well sorted as Klurejr's, but certainly at least as enviable)
    Please do! we here are always interested in seeing others collections. Until recently I had my collection in boxes in the closet. The wife and I finally could afford a new fridge so our old one found a new life in the garage

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    @ $85 a six pack , no thanks. That's like 3 bottles of bourbon, or one really good one of scotch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I would kill people to have this fridge.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    @ $85 a six pack , no thanks. That's like 3 bottles of bourbon, or one really good one of scotch.
    That's apples to oranges. Booze can be cheap or expensive, regardless of what it is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    It's not a good value, I think anyone paying that regularly would be crazy. You can fill a bar fridge with Chimay and Gulden Draak for the price. BUT it's still money well spent because it's a fantastic tasting experience and the money is supporting the rebuilding of the abbey (they do not turn a profit by policy, so it's not making some CEO rich). Where my money is going is just as important to me as how much of it I'm parting with.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    It's not a good value, I think anyone paying that regularly would be crazy. You can fill a bar fridge with Chimay and Gulden Draak for the price. BUT it's still money well spent because it's a fantastic tasting experience and the money is supporting the rebuilding of the abbey (they do not turn a profit by policy, so it's not making some CEO rich). Where my money is going is just as important to me as how much of it I'm parting with.
    Also, it is a once in a lifetime kind of thing to be able to buy this beer at a local store, now that those special packs are gone, the only place to get it is in Belgium......

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, going to be hard to convince myself to drink them now! Might keep 2 for a very long time.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    Yeah, going to be hard to convince myself to drink them now! Might keep 2 for a very long time.
    Just make sure you share them with people who can appreciate what they are. I plan to open my first bottle of the six this Saturday with a friend of mine who Appreciates good craft brew.

I wish I could have gotten my hands on some of this stuff when it came out. At the time, I was too busy to pay much notice to the release, and then I was out in the boonies and would have had to drive a long way to find a shop selling any.

I probably have a better shot of buying some at the monastery in Belgium one day.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I probably have a better shot of buying some at the monastery in Belgium one day.
    Or shoot me a PM, and we'll work out a trade
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    You're a boss.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    PM sent. Would love to work something out.

Beer Please!
    I too would be interested in Trading one of my westy's for a good rare beer that I cannot get out here in Cali....

mtbr member
    Out of curiosity, how long can you "cellar" a Westy?

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Out of curiosity, how long can you "cellar" a Westy?
    Decades...but as with most things, it's all based on personal preference.
    It ages quite well.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah, NOT a good trend.
    I stopped trying to keep up w/ every "limited this" and "limited that" a coupla years back. Seems like everyone is jumping onto the bandwagon and everything is now vanilla/cherry/bourbon blah blah blah. Nothing wrong with that- I just ain't buying into the "I MUST have this!" I used to, but so glad I don't any more.

(Note- this does *not* apply to the arrival of Westvleteren!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast