Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: wesvleteren 12

mtbr member
    This is probably sacrilege, but I’ve had their Blonde, 8 &12, and I wouldn’t put any of them in my top 3-5 Belgian beers. They are all very good ( I really liked the Blonde), but don’t justify the craziness IMHO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post

Look what I picked up from my brother this weekend!

Those Westy's sure look good in my collection!

He also gave me the rodebauch in a trade for my last Ovila and we shared my bottle of Karl Strauss 22nd Anniversary Vanilla Imperial Stout, 25% aged in Bourbon Barrels. I had been sitting on this bottle for 2 years.

Jeez man, you've got some drinking to do!!!

mtbr member
    JChasse:

So who /what is in your top 3/5 ?

Not hating...just very curious.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    Jeez man, you've got some drinking to do!!!
    That i do!

I opened up my first westy with a friend yesterday:

He shared this with me:

telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Beer Me!
    I do like the Westy (A very awesome person hooked me up with a bottle last year right before my birthday, you know who you are ) and while it was a top notch, very good beer, I do not think that it was so astronomically better than others in the same top notch catigory like Rochefort. I was super stoked to try it, and would love to again, but I won't wait in line and get in fist fights over it.

As for the Rodenbach vintage, I might throw some elbows for that ... watch out Klurejr.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Out of curiosity, how long can you "cellar" a Westy?
    Others have opinions on this, but I adamantly say DON'T! unless you have two. I have aged some very expensive, rare beer, and had it ruined, or oxidized. I only age beers now that I won't cry if they become ruined. (I age all my beers in a special fridge, at 47deg F in the dark, and this still has happened)

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Others have opinions on this, but I adamantly say DON'T! unless you have two. I have aged some very expensive, rare beer, and had it ruined, or oxidized. I only age beers now that I won't cry if they become ruined. (I age all my beers in a special fridge, at 47deg F in the dark, and this still has happened)
    I have 5 left, though one is probably going to be traded, so I have no problem letting it sit for a few months.

The reason I have so much beer in my fridge is I tend to buy more than I drink.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I have 5 left, though one is probably going to be traded, so I have no problem letting it sit for a few months.

The reason I have so much beer in my fridge is I tend to buy more than I drink.
    Word, I just get scared when someone mentions ageing something that rare, if they can't get another bottle, they could ruin there only shot at tasting it the way it was meant to be tasted.

Beer Please!
    Word, I just get scared when someone mentions ageing something that rare, if they can't get another bottle, they could ruin there only shot at tasting it the way it was meant to be tasted.
    True, though I have yet to ruin any of my beers through aging.

Hi.
    I'm a big proponent of this too - cellar beers only after you've tried them. There's no point in cellaring a beer to change its flavor if you have no point of reference.

The only exception is for beers that are super hot fresh, like Avery Beast. That beer needs some age to be drinkable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2