Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Paper Mill Aleworks

Westvleteren XII

As some of you may or may not know...yesterday was a very special, (possibly one time only) release of Westvleteren XII box-sets in Belgium, and it was a mad house!

They did it Willy-Wonka style, by making "voucher" available in a local newspaper, which gave the holder the ability to buy one of these box-sets for 25 Euros at Colruyt supermarkets.

Needless to say, Colruyt supermarkets were a mess with people, all obtaining their brew!
    Lines hundreds of people deep, and pallets of box-sets clearing out in minutes.

The box-sets contain six bottles of the coveted brew, and two chalice glasses:

I had contacted a good friend in France a few weeks ago, when the promotion was originally announced, to see if he/we had any contacts in Belgium. As it turned out, we did not...not directly anyway. My friend belongs to a European Buell (motorcycle) forum, and was able to track down a few Belgian members.

I got an e-mail from him this afternoon, simply asking me to call him...
    I was informed that he found a member whom was able to get me a box-set...AND...that a co-workers nephew was working in Belgium, so he was able to get me a second box-set!

I am beyond excited, and very thankful to have good friends overseas

I did also find out today that the Shelton Bros importers will be bringing over 7,500 box-sets in April!

Westvleteren is coming to the U.S.

You read that correctly. For the first (and more than likely) only time in history, Westvleteren beers will be bottled, shipped and legally sold on U.S. soil.

Widely regarded as the maker of some of the most coveted beers in the world, the brewery will ship a limited amount of product to the U.S. in an attempt to raise money for an aging monastery in need of repairs and also planning and expansion.

Daniel Shelton, of Shelton Brothers Importers confirmed that next April, he will be importing 7760 special ‘gift-pack’ units from the Belgium-based brewery and monastery. The packs contain six bottles of beer and two, 15cl glasses.

Shelton is still working out the exact details of the deal and could not yet confirm what the suggested retail price of the gift pack will be or which markets will receive the beer. Shelton is based in Belchertown, Mass.

Additionally, Shelton mentioned that Manneken-Brusel Imports out of Austin, TX would also be importing an undisclosed amount of the beer into the U.S market.

All of the proceeds from the packs sold into the U.S. market will help fund the rebuilding and expansion of the Westvleteren monastery. Westvleteren made about 4,500 hectoliters of beer last year (approximately 3,800 U.S. barrels).
    This is very exciting!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Hi.
    Holy cow. You lucky duck. I've seriously been considering just dropping the $40 on a bottle from eBay.

I loved the madhouse, and I thought the same thing about Willy Wonka!

I really need to get on top of buying a few of these boxed sets.

gimme friction
    Well done. Now you better not ruin your karma and try and sell it on ebay. Better drink it, son.
    Johnny Ryall rode MTB

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by Quercus agrifolia View Post
    Well done. Now you better not ruin your karma and try and sell it on ebay. Better drink it, son.
    Watch your tongue!
    I would never dream of participating in such sacrilege.

They will all be lovingly enjoyed, and shared amongst friends/family.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    I was informed that he found a member whom was able to get me a box-set...AND...that a co-workers nephew was working in Belgium, so he was able to get me a second box-set!
    This is beyond crazy!! I am absolutely blown away.I'm literally speechless at the moment. Congrats.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I bet a lot of those sets went to people who can't tell any difference between this and some other beers, which is a pity.
    It brings out mixed feelings about this action. In the past, you'd be almost sure that the ones who went there to get some, were enthousiasts.
    And now this action got so much attention that it drew in lots of people who just want it cause it's cool at the moment, or are looking into reselling it (for instance: check out ebay.be).

mtbr member
    This is still blowing my mind. 2 OF THEM!! my god. once again Please trade or drink/cellar them. Don't just sell them. No reason to make money on hard working Monks. It was made to be enjoyed not make a profit.

I'm super jealous.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by S/X Runner View Post
    This is still blowing my mind. 2 OF THEM!! my god. once again Please trade or drink/cellar them. Don't just sell them. No reason to make money on hard working Monks. It was made to be enjoyed not make a profit.

I'm super jealous.
    Two releases in the US next year - get ready for em!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I will do whatever it takes to get one of the US releases on this.

Whatever it takes.

Beer Please!
    My friend went to Belgium this past February and brought me back a bottle of 12. We enjoyed it a few weeks ago and it certainly lived up to the hype. Please keep us informed as to when this is coming stateside, I need to get some!
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Beer Me!
    I am jealous, as is everyone else.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    My friend went to Belgium this past February and brought me back a bottle of 12. We enjoyed it a few weeks ago and it certainly lived up to the hype. Please keep us informed as to when this is coming stateside, I need to get some!
    Yeah, only time I have tried it was when we went to Belgium a year and a half ago. Liquid of the Gods doesn't even begin to cut it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    I will do whatever it takes to get one of the US releases on this.

Whatever it takes.
    I'm with you on this.

Keep Singletrack Single
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    As some of you may or may not know...yesterday was a very special, (possibly one time only) release of Westvleteren XII box-sets in Belgium, and it was a mad house!

They did it Willy-Wonka style, by making "voucher" available in a local newspaper, which gave the holder the ability to buy one of these box-sets for 25 Euros at Colruyt supermarkets.

Needless to say, Colruyt supermarkets were a mess with people, all obtaining their brew!
    Lines hundreds of people deep, and pallets of box-sets clearing out in minutes.

The box-sets contain six bottles of the coveted brew, and two chalice glasses:

I had contacted a good friend in France a few weeks ago, when the promotion was originally announced, to see if he/we had any contacts in Belgium. As it turned out, we did not...not directly anyway. My friend belongs to a European Buell (motorcycle) forum, and was able to track down a few Belgian members.

I got an e-mail from him this afternoon, simply asking me to call him...

I am beyond excited, and very thankful to have good friends overseas

I did also find out today that the Shelton Bros importers will be bringing over 7,500 box-sets in April!

This is very exciting!
    Way cool!!!!
    Phil's Trail Steward for COTA
    http://www.cotamtb.com
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    great stuff! I've order a 6er on ebay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StanLSU View Post
    great stuff! I've order a 6er on ebay.
    Would you like to trade for one Westy 12?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Two releases in the US next year - get ready for em!
    Do you have a source for this? I haven't heard about a US release.

I just brewed a W12 clone. My brother in law is bringing our last bottle of real W12 from Belgium to Thanksgiving and we're going to A/B the two. I think my clone is slightly lacking some burnt sugar that the real W12 has (by memory), but I think it's pretty close...

The funny thing is I want the Westy glass more than the 6 pack of W12.
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehollx View Post
    Do you have a source for this? I haven't heard about a US release.

I just brewed a W12 clone. My brother in law is bringing our last bottle of real W12 from Belgium to Thanksgiving and we're going to A/B the two. I think my clone is slightly lacking some burnt sugar that the real W12 has (by memory), but I think it's pretty close...

The funny thing is I want the Westy glass more than the 6 pack of W12.
    Details in the first post. Also on beernews.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    The first of two sets arrived today...even better in person

I plan on enjoying my second ever Wetsy 12 on Chirstmas day.

mtbr member
    Very awesome! Let us know how it goes.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    ...and to the coward who gave me a negative rep tag:

Whooptifriggindoo you ******. American beer is the best.

Hi.
    Those are great little boxed sets. The logos are cool on their exported stuff.

mtbr member
    I am finishing off my first of two cases I got in November. I plan on getting another two cases in February when I go on my Trappist tour. I will say it is good and the mystique with getting it is awesome, but taste wise it isn't that much better than Rochefort 8 or Orval. I totally dig the process to get it though. PM me if they do this again because I got to Belgium monthly for beer. Topped off my supplies for new years last weekend in Namur while there for the World Cup cyclocross race. Got my third 3 liter magnum of Chimay for my impending retirement from the Air Force in two years. It is the first 2011 magnum I have. Tho their two are a 2009 and 2010.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    ...PM me if they do this again because I got to Belgium monthly for beer...
    Once a month, crazy!

I'd love to trade something (any west coast brews) for some. If not, I understand. Just throwing it out there.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Second, and final box landed from France today!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast