Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 61
  1. #1
    Paper Mill Aleworks
    Reputation: JFryauff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,484

    Westvleteren XII

    As some of you may or may not know...yesterday was a very special, (possibly one time only) release of Westvleteren XII box-sets in Belgium, and it was a mad house!

    They did it Willy-Wonka style, by making "voucher" available in a local newspaper, which gave the holder the ability to buy one of these box-sets for 25 Euros at Colruyt supermarkets.

    Needless to say, Colruyt supermarkets were a mess with people, all obtaining their brew!
    Lines hundreds of people deep, and pallets of box-sets clearing out in minutes.

    The box-sets contain six bottles of the coveted brew, and two chalice glasses:



    I had contacted a good friend in France a few weeks ago, when the promotion was originally announced, to see if he/we had any contacts in Belgium. As it turned out, we did not...not directly anyway. My friend belongs to a European Buell (motorcycle) forum, and was able to track down a few Belgian members.

    I got an e-mail from him this afternoon, simply asking me to call him...
    I was informed that he found a member whom was able to get me a box-set...AND...that a co-workers nephew was working in Belgium, so he was able to get me a second box-set!

    I am beyond excited, and very thankful to have good friends overseas

    I did also find out today that the Shelton Bros importers will be bringing over 7,500 box-sets in April!

    Westvleteren is coming to the U.S.

    You read that correctly. For the first (and more than likely) only time in history, Westvleteren beers will be bottled, shipped and legally sold on U.S. soil.

    Widely regarded as the maker of some of the most coveted beers in the world, the brewery will ship a limited amount of product to the U.S. in an attempt to raise money for an aging monastery in need of repairs and also planning and expansion.

    Daniel Shelton, of Shelton Brothers Importers confirmed that next April, he will be importing 7760 special ‘gift-pack’ units from the Belgium-based brewery and monastery. The packs contain six bottles of beer and two, 15cl glasses.

    Shelton is still working out the exact details of the deal and could not yet confirm what the suggested retail price of the gift pack will be or which markets will receive the beer. Shelton is based in Belchertown, Mass.

    Additionally, Shelton mentioned that Manneken-Brusel Imports out of Austin, TX would also be importing an undisclosed amount of the beer into the U.S market.

    All of the proceeds from the packs sold into the U.S. market will help fund the rebuilding and expansion of the Westvleteren monastery. Westvleteren made about 4,500 hectoliters of beer last year (approximately 3,800 U.S. barrels).
    This is very exciting!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

  2. #2
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    Holy cow. You lucky duck. I've seriously been considering just dropping the $40 on a bottle from eBay.

    I loved the madhouse, and I thought the same thing about Willy Wonka!

    I really need to get on top of buying a few of these boxed sets.

  3. #3
    gimme friction
    Reputation: Quercus agrifolia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    959
    Well done. Now you better not ruin your karma and try and sell it on ebay. Better drink it, son.
    Johnny Ryall rode MTB

  4. #4
    Paper Mill Aleworks
    Reputation: JFryauff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by Quercus agrifolia View Post
    Well done. Now you better not ruin your karma and try and sell it on ebay. Better drink it, son.
    Watch your tongue!
    I would never dream of participating in such sacrilege.

    They will all be lovingly enjoyed, and shared amongst friends/family.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: S/X Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    I was informed that he found a member whom was able to get me a box-set...AND...that a co-workers nephew was working in Belgium, so he was able to get me a second box-set!
    This is beyond crazy!! I am absolutely blown away.I'm literally speechless at the moment. Congrats.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    33
    I bet a lot of those sets went to people who can't tell any difference between this and some other beers, which is a pity.
    It brings out mixed feelings about this action. In the past, you'd be almost sure that the ones who went there to get some, were enthousiasts.
    And now this action got so much attention that it drew in lots of people who just want it cause it's cool at the moment, or are looking into reselling it (for instance: check out ebay.be).

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: S/X Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    514
    This is still blowing my mind. 2 OF THEM!! my god. once again Please trade or drink/cellar them. Don't just sell them. No reason to make money on hard working Monks. It was made to be enjoyed not make a profit.

    I'm super jealous.

  8. #8
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by S/X Runner View Post
    This is still blowing my mind. 2 OF THEM!! my god. once again Please trade or drink/cellar them. Don't just sell them. No reason to make money on hard working Monks. It was made to be enjoyed not make a profit.

    I'm super jealous.
    Two releases in the US next year - get ready for em!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,148
    I will do whatever it takes to get one of the US releases on this.

    Whatever it takes.

  10. #10
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,305
    My friend went to Belgium this past February and brought me back a bottle of 12. We enjoyed it a few weeks ago and it certainly lived up to the hype. Please keep us informed as to when this is coming stateside, I need to get some!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

  11. #11
    Beer Me!
    Reputation: Guerdonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,085
    I am jealous, as is everyone else.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    My friend went to Belgium this past February and brought me back a bottle of 12. We enjoyed it a few weeks ago and it certainly lived up to the hype. Please keep us informed as to when this is coming stateside, I need to get some!
    Yeah, only time I have tried it was when we went to Belgium a year and a half ago. Liquid of the Gods doesn't even begin to cut it.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: S/X Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    I will do whatever it takes to get one of the US releases on this.

    Whatever it takes.
    I'm with you on this.

  14. #14
    Keep Singletrack Single
    Reputation: willem3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,147
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    As some of you may or may not know...yesterday was a very special, (possibly one time only) release of Westvleteren XII box-sets in Belgium, and it was a mad house!

    They did it Willy-Wonka style, by making "voucher" available in a local newspaper, which gave the holder the ability to buy one of these box-sets for 25 Euros at Colruyt supermarkets.

    Needless to say, Colruyt supermarkets were a mess with people, all obtaining their brew!
    Lines hundreds of people deep, and pallets of box-sets clearing out in minutes.

    The box-sets contain six bottles of the coveted brew, and two chalice glasses:



    I had contacted a good friend in France a few weeks ago, when the promotion was originally announced, to see if he/we had any contacts in Belgium. As it turned out, we did not...not directly anyway. My friend belongs to a European Buell (motorcycle) forum, and was able to track down a few Belgian members.

    I got an e-mail from him this afternoon, simply asking me to call him...
    I was informed that he found a member whom was able to get me a box-set...AND...that a co-workers nephew was working in Belgium, so he was able to get me a second box-set!

    I am beyond excited, and very thankful to have good friends overseas

    I did also find out today that the Shelton Bros importers will be bringing over 7,500 box-sets in April!



    This is very exciting!
    Way cool!!!!
    Support Bend Trails
    http://bendtrails.org
    Phil's Trail Facebook Page
    https://www.facebook.com/PhilsTrail

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    60
    great stuff! I've order a 6er on ebay.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: S/X Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by StanLSU View Post
    great stuff! I've order a 6er on ebay.
    Would you like to trade for one Westy 12?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Two releases in the US next year - get ready for em!
    Do you have a source for this? I haven't heard about a US release.

    I just brewed a W12 clone. My brother in law is bringing our last bottle of real W12 from Belgium to Thanksgiving and we're going to A/B the two. I think my clone is slightly lacking some burnt sugar that the real W12 has (by memory), but I think it's pretty close...

    The funny thing is I want the Westy glass more than the 6 pack of W12.
    idiom - raleigh hard rock
    http://www.idiomband.com

  18. #18
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehollx View Post
    Do you have a source for this? I haven't heard about a US release.

    I just brewed a W12 clone. My brother in law is bringing our last bottle of real W12 from Belgium to Thanksgiving and we're going to A/B the two. I think my clone is slightly lacking some burnt sugar that the real W12 has (by memory), but I think it's pretty close...

    The funny thing is I want the Westy glass more than the 6 pack of W12.
    Details in the first post. Also on beernews.

  19. #19
    Paper Mill Aleworks
    Reputation: JFryauff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,484
    The first of two sets arrived today...even better in person



    I plan on enjoying my second ever Wetsy 12 on Chirstmas day.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: S/X Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    514
    Very awesome! Let us know how it goes.

  21. #21
    Paper Mill Aleworks
    Reputation: JFryauff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,484
    ...and to the coward who gave me a negative rep tag:

    Whooptifriggindoo you ******. American beer is the best.


    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

  22. #22
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    Those are great little boxed sets. The logos are cool on their exported stuff.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spookyload's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    284
    I am finishing off my first of two cases I got in November. I plan on getting another two cases in February when I go on my Trappist tour. I will say it is good and the mystique with getting it is awesome, but taste wise it isn't that much better than Rochefort 8 or Orval. I totally dig the process to get it though. PM me if they do this again because I got to Belgium monthly for beer. Topped off my supplies for new years last weekend in Namur while there for the World Cup cyclocross race. Got my third 3 liter magnum of Chimay for my impending retirement from the Air Force in two years. It is the first 2011 magnum I have. Tho their two are a 2009 and 2010.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: S/X Runner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    514
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    ...PM me if they do this again because I got to Belgium monthly for beer...
    Once a month, crazy!

    I'd love to trade something (any west coast brews) for some. If not, I understand. Just throwing it out there.

  25. #25
    Paper Mill Aleworks
    Reputation: JFryauff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,484
    Second, and final box landed from France today!

    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

  26. #26
    Self-defeatist
    Reputation: CLONG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    965
    Got mine pre-ordered from a regional specialty-store. Box coming...in autumn! guess I'll have to learn some patience.
    I'm covered in beer.

  27. #27
    Paper Mill Aleworks
    Reputation: JFryauff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,484
    Quote Originally Posted by CLONG View Post
    Got mine pre-ordered from a regional specialty-store. Box coming...in autumn! guess I'll have to learn some patience.
    Nice.
    Out of curiosity, do you know what they are charging?
    I have been wondering what the Shleton Bros will be marking these gift sets up to.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

  28. #28
    Self-defeatist
    Reputation: CLONG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    965
    Anybody get theirs? I ended up paying $100CDN. My birthday's coming up soon and I'm gonna pop one that morning, put the rest in the cellar and have a sweet birthday beer for the next six years.

    I'm covered in beer.

  29. #29
    Paper Mill Aleworks
    Reputation: JFryauff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,484
    Congrats, and happy birthday.
    I'm pretty sure the US release got pushed till November.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    301
    sweet! the 6 packs are coming to bc next month (just called the distributor); going to pick one up for sure.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    nice bottle

  32. #32
    Paper Mill Aleworks
    Reputation: JFryauff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,484
    Just a quick release update:

    Westvleteren XII will land at Total Wine & More locations on Dec 12th according to their blog:

    All proceeds from the sale of this beer are going to the Abbey. Our store locations in Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Arizona, California and Nevada will have Westvleteren XII available for sale in a 6 pack with 2 glasses for $84.99.

    This item will be available for sale beginning December 12, 2012 on a first come, first served basis. (Limit one pack per customer).

    Westy XII will be sold by Craft Beer Cellar in MA and Whole Foods in Louisiana who both appear to be on the same Dec 12th release schedule.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

  33. #33
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    Just pre-ordered a couple boxes from a local store. Really excited for this

  34. #34
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,305
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Just a quick release update:
    Thanks for the update!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Carl Hungus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,955
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Just pre-ordered a couple boxes from a local store. Really excited for this
    Do we have Total Wine around here or using some other means?

  36. #36
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,656
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Just a quick release update: available for sale in a 6 pack with 2 glasses for $84.99.
    Wish I would have brought back some glasses on my trip over there. Those bottles are cool as well! The few I brought back were pretty plain and nondescript. These beers are about $4 each at the brewery or so and you give them your drivers license where they record your license plate when you pull up to the brewery. You are allowed a case a month of each style. I'd pick up a 6 pack if it was offered here in Colorado - support of a great brewery and local Belgian charities as well though I'm sure Total Wine and More is making some margin. Not expecting any huge expansion plans, but it would be cool if it was on the shelves next to La Trappe, Chimay, Orval, Westamalle, Rochefort etc.. Baby steps...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Westvleteren XII-5haul.jpg  

    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  37. #37
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Do we have Total Wine around here or using some other means?
    Sent you a FB message

  38. #38
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,305
    There is a Total Wine near my brother up in Orange county so he is going to try and grab one of these for us to split, wewt!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by CLONG View Post
    Anybody get theirs? I ended up paying $100CDN.
    bit of a gouge; where are you? just picked up a brick (in vancouver) for $70. seems to be quite a few of them available. thought about picking up more, but after having one decided that while they're great, they're not *that* much better than say a rochefort 10 (actually, i've had some aged rochefort that still stands as the best ever belgian quad i've ever had) or st bernadus 12, to justify the price spread. still, a worthwhile one time curiosity splurge.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Dang, you guys got a lot of disposable income. And, yes, that's jealousy speaking.

  41. #41
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by xy9ine View Post
    they're not *that* much better than say a rochefort 10 (actually, i've had some aged rochefort that still stands as the best ever belgian quad i've ever had) or st bernadus 12, to justify the price spread.
    Westy doesn't taste like Rochefort or St. Bernadus 12 (if you try them side-by-side), but I agree those are both excellent, easy to find and relatively inexpensive. Another good one to try is Pannepot. Westy is just a lot richer and more complex than the others.

    If you think Rochefort is good with some years on it, try it with the Westy. Amazing with some age. I also recommend trying a blinded taste test between Westy, St. Bernadus and Rochefort next time you pop a bottle. I've done it and Westy was the clear winner for the 5 of us trying the beer.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Westy doesn't taste like Rochefort or St. Bernadus 12 (if you try them side-by-side), but I agree those are both excellent, easy to find and relatively inexpensive. Another good one to try is Pannepot. Westy is just a lot richer and more complex than the others.

    If you think Rochefort is good with some years on it, try it with the Westy. Amazing with some age. I also recommend trying a blinded taste test between Westy, St. Bernadus and Rochefort next time you pop a bottle. I've done it and Westy was the clear winner for the 5 of us trying the beer.
    yeah, the last comparisons i did (all relatively fresh beers), the westy edged out the rochefort slightly, with bernadus trailing. i've heard lots of differing opinions w/ the same blind tastings, though.

    the amazing rochefort i had was 6 yrs old; think i'm going to buy some more (roche & berny) and age them along side the westy to do an annual side by side.

  43. #43
    SHF
    SHF is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by xy9ine View Post
    bit of a gouge; where are you? just picked up a brick (in vancouver) for $70. seems to be quite a few of them available. thought about picking up more, but after having one decided that while they're great, they're not *that* much better than say a rochefort 10 (actually, i've had some aged rochefort that still stands as the best ever belgian quad i've ever had) or st bernadus 12, to justify the price spread. still, a worthwhile one time curiosity splurge.
    I have to agree, I got some Westy a few years ago when De Struise was selling it on their webstore as an "experiment" to ship to the US & keep bottles off ebay and the like. We compared it side by side with Rochefort and St. Bernardus and while they were different, the consensus was that the Rochefort was the best.

    While it was nice to try, and quite good, I think the rarity (in the US anyway) skews people's opinions of this one.

  44. #44
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by SHF View Post
    While it was nice to try, and quite good, I think the rarity (in the US anyway) skews people's opinions of this one.

  45. #45
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,305
    Soooo, my brother and his wife went to Total Wine in Socal this morning and were 17th in line with at least another 15 behind him by the time the store opened. Since there was 2 of them they bought the limit of one each, and I get to have an entire pack myself. Pretty excited.

    Here is the picture he sent me:



    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Front page on Yahoo. Is this the jump the shark moment or something:

    'World's Best Beer' Finally Available | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

  47. #47
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,816
    My candidate for ******-of-the-year goes to the guy selling the EMPTY gift set box for $230 (just 2 glasses):
    Westvleteren XII aka Westy 12 Brick Box Empty | eBay

  48. #48
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,305
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    My candidate for ******-of-the-year goes to the guy selling the EMPTY gift set box for $230 (just 2 glasses):
    Westvleteren XII aka Westy 12 Brick Box Empty | eBay


    FOR SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    FOR SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Add $20 shipping from San Diego.

  50. #50
    Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,305
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Add $20 shipping from San Diego.
    First I would never do that because it is a jerk move, second I want to keep my glasses and possibly display the box in my beer bottle collections, and third i don't even have my set yet. My brother lives in the OC and picked up a set for me this morning.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Westvleteren
    By spookyload in forum Beer Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 10:38 AM
  2. Trappist Westvleteren 12
    By Klurejr in forum Beer Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-02-2011, 08:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •