Thread: Westvleteren 12

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Westvleteren 12

My girlfriend gave this to me as an early Christmas present. Rather interesting stuff. Brewed by monks typically in very small quantities for almost exclusively self consumption, it's been made available in limited quantities around the world to help fund repairs to the ancient building their brewery resides in.

The details and significant price tag here: Westvleteren 12 Giftpack - Premier Wine & Spirits

It is a rich and complex dark ale, heavy alcohol, chocolate and dark fruit flavours. Most comparable widely-available beer would be Gulden Draak (similar abv too) in my opinion. A pretty cool beer experience!

Anyone else try it?

Cheers
    Last edited by LostBoyScout; 12-24-2012 at 01:41 AM.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

PRETENDURO
    Iíve had their regular stuff before, however, if I should happen to spot this at my usual places of purchase I will waste no time in acquiring a bottle or two. I tend to gravitate toward the dubbels and tripels, and even the quadrupels, I really like the strong Belgian ales.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yep, only 15,000 six packs were imported to the U.S., and they sold out in a few hours.

I got a six pack and shared it with my friends. Great beer. Washed it down with some St. Bernardus.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That is a great girlfriend, hold onto her. I haven't opened my box yet but will give it a try this week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the comments. Yeah it really is amazing. I did find myself questioning my own tastebuds, wondering if the rareness and story behind the beer was affecting my experience. It probably was, but no doubt it's a really well balanced and complex ale. There was so much going on, it took me the better part of the evening just to finish the bottle!

mbakes - agreed
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

Beer Please!
    Perhaps a forum moderator can merge this with the existing Westy 12 thread:

wesvleteren 12

:-)
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.