Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Used to drink beer from a glass, now from the bottle

I didn't drink beer for many many years due to my body just couldn't handle it (got sick in Mexico, body chemistry changed, had to stop with the beer---maybe you've heard this story before here). Anyway, back in the day I always drank straight from the bottle or can unless we were sharing a pitcher. It was Coors or Bud back then. When I wanted "exotic" I'd drink St. Pauli Girl!

When I started drinking beer again two years ago I did some reading up and all the beer afficionados recommended drinking from a beer glass, so I bought some. Been pouring correctly, been watching the quality of the head, the lacing, the color...

Then just recently I started foregoing the glass and just drinking straight from the bottle. And so far the beer tastes the same. How about you? Bottle/can/or always in a glass?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    The only way to enjoy a nice thick head of the beer is to pour it into a glass, otherwise you get it at the bottom of the bottle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I think the glass/bottle/can debate all depends on style. Stouts/porters should go in a glass. IPA's and the like should be in a glass, although there are many craft IPAs in cans that are amazing. Lagers can be had any way.

mtbr member
    Out of a glass for beers with a complex flavor--the smells really help in the taste. If it's something thats more simple, I'm fine with drinking from the bottle. I try not to do aluminum or plastic, though.
    "In nuclear war, all men are cremated equal" - Dexter Gordon

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    One of the reasons I started just drinking straight from the bottle is, believe it or not, I found some beers actually seemed to taste better from the bottle. When I noticed that I experimented--from a glass, from the bottle, and as weird as it seems, that's what I found.

An example: Avery IPA. It's not my absolute favorite brew but it's in my top 5 (flavor/cost ratio). Another is my go-to IPA, Sierra Nevada Torpedo. I agree with stouts being better out of a glass. I wonder if PBR is drinkable from a glass
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Since you can only taste 4 things, sweat, sour, bitter and salt but can smell thousands, I will stick with a glass. Then again, the mass produced beers it won't matter much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    wherever u drink it bear remains beer

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ins@ne View Post
    wherever u drink it bear remains beer
    I couldn't have spelled it better myself.

Beer Please!
    if at home or someplace with glasses I drink from a glass, if I am floating on the river or out on a hike I drink from the bottle.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Beer Me!
    If it can be poured into a glass it should be poured into a glass. The release of CO2 in the head of the beer release aroma, aroma = flavor. Most craft beers are produced with the right CO2 in the bottle to release when being poured. The head of the beer also tells a lot about it. The beer isn't reaching its full potential unless its poured into a glass.

That being said, you will see me often drinking from a bottle or can, sometimes its the best practical option. Some times practicality overrides sensory experience.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    I dont think it tastes significantly better, but it does seem a bit more flavorful in a glass. Flavor or not though, I prefer drinking a beer from a beer glass (even cheapo lagers in a can).

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Ah you guys just made me break out my Sierra Nevada glasses and pour myself a Torpedo.

mtbr member
    it gets you buzzed just the same whether your drink it from a glass or bottle soooo......

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Pint, tulip, snifter depending on beet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveagibsonsg View Post
    it gets you buzzed just the same whether your drink it from a glass or bottle soooo......
    I cant stand a bottle and couldnt disagree more. Develop a palate for some good beers/wine and you will appreciate the taste not the alcohol although it is a benefit

Ride fast Drink faster

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I did a taste test once with a Pliny the elder from a bottle ,pour some in a tulip shaped glass and some in a pint glass . The taste and aroma from the tulip glass was better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    One of the reasons I tried drinking straight from a bottle again was, I decided to give up beer for awhile () to try to lose a pesky 10-15 lbs. I've always been a thin guy and it didn't look like I needed to lose but I knew I did. I'd tried everything and it turned out the 2-3 beers nightly was what was keeping it on. I went from 177 down to 162 and change.

Fast forward to getting back to drinking just one beer nightly. I found I drank the one beer slower and savored it more than from a glass. Sounds weird but the beer lasted a lot longer and there weren't any others in the coolerator, I was only buying one at a time.

Rogue Exterminator
    The answer to your question is drink it how ever the hell you prefer to drink it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My in-laws always are asking if I want a glass for my beer. I always answer "it is already in a glass." I understand that pouring it into a glass is going to release some flavors and aromas that you won't get straight out of the bottle, but for the most part I find it really isn't worth dirtying up a glass.

With that said, the correct answer is that it should be poured into a glass... out of your kegarator. THAT is the best way to enjoy a beer!

Hi.
    I get metallic flavors if I drink straight from the bottle or can. If it's a big, bottle-conditioned beer, often there's yeast or other beer goo around the lip of the bottle too.

Glass for me, always. Even if it's a red solo cup. Unless, of course, we're talking Bud or the like. Then it's from a can or bottle as fast as possible.

I've got a collected of brewery-specific snifters and glassware at home...I think I'm up to 25 different pieces.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I used to always drink from a glass, but sometimes I just don't want to make another dirty dish (no dishwasher I do find that drinking from a bottle dampens the flavor somewhat, especially when it is a beer with lots of aroma, like an IPA. All the floral notes just stay in the bottle instead of being release directly below your nose. But most of the time I am lazy and drink from the bottle.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonedizzle View Post
    I used to always drink from a glass, but sometimes I just don't want to make another dirty dish (no dishwasher I do find that drinking from a bottle dampens the flavor somewhat, especially when it is a beer with lots of aroma, like an IPA. All the floral notes just stay in the bottle instead of being release directly below your nose. But most of the time I am lazy and drink from the bottle.
    You should avoid washing beer glassware in the dishwasher. The detergent remains on the glass and kills the head when you try to pour a beer.

Handwashing glassware with simple dish soap works the best.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    You should avoid washing beer glassware in the dishwasher. The detergent remains on the glass and kills the head when you try to pour a beer.

Handwashing glassware with simple dish soap works the best.
    I do avoid a dishwasher, because I don't have one. And currently I am enjoying a summit Oktoberfest as we speak. I love working from home...

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonedizzle View Post
    I do avoid a dishwasher, because I don't have one. And currently I am enjoying a summit Oktoberfest as we speak. I love working from home...
    You implied that you would use one if you had one. No big deal either way - more of a PSA than anything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    can bottles cost more lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast