mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Upcoming 21st birthday and need advice... (whiskey, not beer related)

Hey. My 21st birthday is this weekend. 21 shots or 21k footies both seem too ambitious, but I figure I could mix and match a pint of whiskey (8.5 shots) with 12.5k footies. This would take me about 13 hours so plenty of time to metabolize the alcohol.

Does anyone have any have any recommendations on what I should get that will be easy to find in a 375 ml bottle?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I guess I am getting old because I have no idea what a footie is

I can only advise about bourbon, as it is my drink of choice. Like asking for what is a good beer, it depends a lot on what you like. Within the bourbon world there are ones with more bite and ones more sweet and so on. Narrow it down to a 375ml and in my neck of the woods that limits you a lot. I personally think that Old Forester is pretty damn good for the money and can be had in a 375ml. George Dickel is pretty good too.

Have fun and be safe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Well, you are in luck. You can try many a whiskey/bourbon with 21 shots. I am also a fan of bourbon and I would suggest starting with Breckenridge. Then take munson's advice and get some Old Forester and George Dickel.

If you can afford another bottle, or have someone who loves you and is willing, get a bottle of Blantons (it's the funny looking round one with the little horse on top).

This will give you a starting point for what you like, and you will have enough left over for shots on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Newyears.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Unless you have a pretty good cash flow situation compared to most college students, save the Blanton's for graduation. It really ranks up there with some of the best. Between it, Baker's and Basil Hayden they are tied for the second best bourbon I have had (best being Pappy). Perhaps on a blind taste test I would pick one as the clear winner. The reason I say to save it is that it is expensive and will spoil you. Until you develop a taste for bourbon (assuming you haven't already) going for the really good stuff with make it hard to power through the lesser choices that are actually pretty good. In the more economical but really good category is Elijah Craig. It is a really nice choice at around $20, but likely not available in 375ml.

Ben