Afric Pepperbird

Two more months! Am I Worthy?

Worthy Brewing!

I can hardly wait. I live on the east side of Bend, and at only 1.6 miles, I will now be able to leisurely bike to a brew pub and get as sloppy as I damned well please!

rod skinner
    Oct 2005
    Lucky.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I live within a 5 minute bike ride of several brew pubs and tap houses with huge selection. I'm not ashamed to say it's a significant factor in why I pay the higher rent for the small apartment.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

Hi.
    Solid; the east side was underrepresented! But now it'll make a bike-led brewery tour just a bit harder. At least the brewers are from Laurelwood, which makes some kickass beer.

As someone who grew up on the east side, with family still in the area, I approve . I'll have to visit again sooner rather than later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Pretty soon Bend is going to have more breweries/pubs in town than Californians. But, hey, everybody loves a brewery!
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 12-10-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Afric Pepperbird
    OK, how about a review!

I stopped in Monday night after work (it was opening night). The place was jam packed to the gills. I managed to find a cozy spot at the bar, near the wood-fired pizza oven.

I am an IPA fanatic, so naturally that's what I (mostly) had.

Their IPA is very, very reminiscent of Boneyard RPM IPA, which is truly a stellar IPA. Worthy packs a slight bit more punch (6.9% and 69 IBU's vs. 6.5% and 50 IBU for RPM). It has five hop varieties - Nugget, Centennial, Meridian, Crystal, and Horizon (vs. four for RPM). It's a winner

Next I had an East Side Pale. It was what I'd expect for the style. A slightly hoppy bitter-type ale. Perfectly fine, but not my cup of tea.

Then I had two Imperial IPA's, which were outstanding, IMO. I often avoid Imperial's due to heavy "alcohol" taste, but this one, at only 8.5% and 85 IBU's, was extremely well balanced.

As for food, their pizzas are superb (at least the one I had... they all looked great). I had an Argentine, with IPA-marinated steak, chimichurri, and marinated onions. It was the best pizza I've had in at least the last 15 years. It was well worth the $14 for a 12 inch pie.

The atmosphere is good, and will soon get better. Their beer garden is spacious with two fire pits, lots of tables, and funky lighting. They are building a grassy Bocce ball court, and a second grassy area will house a large screen for outdoor movies.

Beer Please!
    Sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing!
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'll hit Worthy up next time I'm in town.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Plays with tools
    Roger Worthington that owns that joint is a big time cyclist as well. It's nice to have a brewery on the east side of town where the working man is.