Triton Brewing, Indianapolis, IN

I am in Indy visiting family this week and stopped by Triton Brewing because they're only a couple miles from my folks. They had a limited edition brew on tap, their Batch One whiskey barrel stout....aged in a 7 year old local whiskey barrel for 13 months, tapped for the one year anniversary of their opening.

It's my first taste of any kind of beer made this way. Mmmm, it was delicious! Even my wife, who is not a fan of dark beers (she likes light wheat beers and hefeweizens and such), loved it. It's her new favorite, apparently. We're trying to get up there again this week before they're out.

Triton Brewing Company : Indianapolis, Indiana -

mtbr member
    sounds like great a place, in my opinion some of the best beers are coming from the mid west region.glad you enjoyed yourself and thank you for sharing....
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

Beer Please!
    Glad to hear it! There are just too many breweries in the world to be able to try them all.

As to bourbon barrel Aging, I think this is going to be a trend to stick around for a long time. I personally fell in love with the concept and the beers that come from this aging process, and currently have a terrible habit of buying said beers. They are good, but they are expensive.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Hi.
    Mikkeller does a tequila barrel-aged Black Hole imperial stout which is excellent. There are rum barrel-aged beers too.

Barrel aging is the pinnacle of craft beer production (outside of IPAs.) It's challenging, time-consuming, and expensive, but it imparts characteristics that make beer infinitely better.

went back to the brewpub last night and got another helping of that Barrel One. so good.

I also tasted a couple of their other offerings. Midnight Rail Black IPA...that was a yummy one. I also tried McQueenie's Scotch Ale. that one was quite different, and very tasty. a smooth, smoky, peaty beer. another that didn't taste like what you'd think a beer should be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Great beer and a great place to stop by after a ride at Ft. Ben - I usually park there, ride into the park to ride, then have a pint or two after my ride. Nothin better.

Next time you are in Indy check out Bier Brewery. Its at 65th St and Binford Blvd. Best beer in town imo...its a sample and carryout type of place, can't get a pint unless its a special occasion. The pumpkin ale is absolutely killer right now.

good tip. I was aware of Bier Brewery, but haven't heard any reviews of the place yet. I won't be back in town until just before Christmas, so I'll have to wait and see what they've got at the time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The chocolate stouts should be in full swing by then. I believe I've heard rumors of a bourbon barrel as well. I'm going tonight to fill some growlers, I'll try and get some info on the upcoming holiday brews.

There's a place in Broad Ripple called 20 Tap, all local and craft beers and their beer menu is always changing. I highly recommend this place as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'll have to try this brew.

Not smart enough to shift
    This is too funny. Triton is one of my local favorites. After moving back to the Midwest from California, I was amazed at the craft beer selection. In the Indy area alone we have: Sunking, Triton, Brugge, Broadripple Brew Pub, Flat12, Fountain Square brewing, Barley Island, Bier, and Upland.

Also, Fort Ben right by Triton has a fantastic trail network. Check it out next time you're in town. If you need a tour guide, post up.

Cheers,
    Andy
    Disclaimer: I'm a fan-boi for Jenson USA.

Quote Originally Posted by onlyontwo View Post
    This is too funny. Triton is one of my local favorites. After moving back to the Midwest from California, I was amazed at the craft beer selection. In the Indy area alone we have: Sunking, Triton, Brugge, Broadripple Brew Pub, Flat12, Fountain Square brewing, Barley Island, Bier, and Upland.

Also, Fort Ben right by Triton has a fantastic trail network. Check it out next time you're in town. If you need a tour guide, post up.

Cheers,
    Andy
    I've already ridden the trails at Ft. Ben. I grew up just a few miles from there.

From Russia with luv!
    We gotta make some Triton Bikes beer with them
    TritonBikes.com

Titanium frames and components handbuilt in Russia

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton Bikes View Post
    We gotta make some Triton Bikes beer with them
    Do it!!! They're very bike-friendly people.

Triton is a great after ride stop for the obvious reasons. Their Dead Eye Stout is excellent. I do prefer Flat 12 on Dorman St. near downtown. Well worth the visit. Their Lacto Matic Milk Stout is my favorite local brew. While you're close, Sun King is only a mile or two from Flat 12. Have an Osiris. It's an excellent Pale Ale.

One more vote for 20 Tap. If you're lucky, you might be able to try all these fantastic beers in one location.

Edit: Better yet, park your car at Triton. Hop on your bike and ride through Fort Harrison State Park. At the other side of the park, go right on Boy Scout Rd.( I think..) to Fall Creek Rd. Go Left on Fall Creek. Cross Shadeland. Once you go under the 465 bridge, on your left is the Fall Creek Greenway. It's a paved path that goes all the way to the Monon and connects just south of the fairgrounds. Take the Monon south to the end at 10th Street. Go left. The first street you come to is Dorman. It will jog it's way through the neighborhood until you come to Flat 12 Brewery. it's about a 13 mile ride one way. There is no better way to spend a Saturday afternoon than doing that ride. I should know since I've done it dozens of times.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo