Thread: Total Wine

dirtbag

Total Wine

I know what you're thinking, "Total Wine"?

Yeah we'll, they're more than just wine. They have a really great beer selection. Kinda like Bevmo but out in the East Coast as well. The beer aisles are nicely categorized - domestic, foreign (by country) and styles. Get your beer by the six pack or go to the "singles" aisle and pick your own six pack. Try out new brew and find you a new favorite. While you're ther pick up a bottle of fancy grape juice for your Lady.

Git you there if you got one around, you won't be sorry.

disclaimer: I don't work there or own it or have stock in it, but maybe I should
    Amolan

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Yep. i wish we had them here in PA, but no dice.
    VA is the closest state with TW I think, maybe MD.
    There is one right on the way from the airport to my parents house in FL, and I've never not stopped along the way.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Everytime I go to Phoenix (I live in the sticks where they think Bud Light is good beer) a stop at Total Wine is mandatory. It is basically non-negotiable. I can (and have) spent hours wandering and dreaming. The ones here in AZ also have liquor so it's another plus! Haven't gotten to the point of making a trip JUST to go there, but the thought has crossed my mind.

Hi.
    BevMo doesn't have a lot of cooler space, so most of their beer is room temp (which can get pretty warm in there.) That includles fresh IPAs, which should be refrigerated. Coincidentally this is the reason they don't carry Russian River beer - because it wasn't being refrigerated.

Does Total Wine do that too, or do they have more cooler space?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    We are getting two Total Wine stores in Albuquerque, first one is due open in a month/2. If what I hear is correct they can routinely expect to see a portion of paycheck.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Does Total Wine do that too, or do they have more cooler space?
    Can't speak for all of them, but the ones I've been to have large cooler spaces.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    I have one 3 miles from my house and with the recent WA state law to close liquor stores and begin selling liquor in large grocery stores Total Wine is a must. They have the best selection and price so its a no-brainer.

Oh-yeah, and I have a kegerator so naturally I get my kegs there. Best keg to go prices, all keg shell sizes to choose from and several varieties. They even special order to meet your draft request.

mtbr member
    been shopping at TW for a few years. They blow Bevmo away in terms of selection and price of all beer/win/liquor. Once you go in you'll be in there for at least and hour and no less than $100. They do send out a coupon in the mail or on your smart phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    been shopping at TW for a few years. They blow Bevmo away in terms of selection and price of all beer/win/liquor. Once you go in you'll be in there for at least and hour and no less than $100. They do send out a coupon in the mail or on your smart phone.
    I will have to check it out the next time I am up in OC.

Though when it comes to beer stores in SD there are a few I know of that have killer selections, I only go to bevmo when I need to get more than just beer.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    There seems to be adequate cooler spaces in the ones I've been to in AZ but they also crank the A/C pretty high (it is AZ, where "arctic blast" is a setting on the A/C) so heat spoilage wouldn't seem like an issue. Planning a trip to Tucson next week so I'll be adding another store to my list.

mtbr member
    Usually when I would go to buy beer, I would stop by whole foods first. Don't know why I would stop there, probably because it was closer to my house. Well if you have shopped at whole foods then you would know it is expensive. I would find the same things at total wine for cheaper then whole foods. Also their selection is great, and the people that work are pretty knowledgable. My only downer about total wine and more is that they don't really have a good selection of crackers,bread, tapenade and other stuff along that line. But total wine blows whole foods and bev-mo out of the water.
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Total Wine is the devil. Too many deals with distributors and pushing bad beer. They are like the WalMart of craft beer in business practice.

The downside is that they usually have a good selection but the staff is completely clueless. Know what you want before you go in or they will push you towards something they are trying to move.

Find a LBS (Local Beer Shop!) and support them.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by cnsaguy View Post
    Total Wine is the devil. Too many deals with distributors and pushing bad beer. They are like the WalMart of craft beer in business practice.

The downside is that they usually have a good selection but the staff is completely clueless. Know what you want before you go in or they will push you towards something they are trying to move.

Who goes into a beer shop and asks for a suggestion? I know what I am looking for and what I want when I go into shops.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Who goes into a beer shop and asks for a suggestion? I know what I am looking for and what I want when I go into shops.
    Agree. The LBS carry crap beer and are even more clueless when I ask for something decent....
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Total Wine

Total Wine is where it's at when it comes to buying craft beer (packaged) around me. We've got a couple LBS around, but none with the selection of our neighborhood TW. There's a large selection of local brews, good regional brews, and the staff at our store is reasonably knowledgeable at the one i frequent which is essentially 2 minutes from my house. And the prices cant be beat! Hell, I've got 20 gallons of homebrew kegged up and I still made a trip yesterday to see what new stuff they'd brought in.

Rogue Exterminator
    Total wine is a decent shop but the problem is they are the big box store of craft brews.
    That being said, they get some good and even some great stuff.
    However they are generally void of the really great stuff.
    If they do get a hard to find limited beer, they are usually sold out very quickly due to the sheer volume of business they do.

I will also agree that their employees are the least knowledgeable people when it comes to craft brews. However, I don't know if they have an agenda to push you towards something they are trying to move. I think whoever you ask is suggesting either what they know from trying or what they hear from others (including customers) which is good.
    I do not however view their employees as people who know anything about or has a love for craft brews. I view them as people that are just happy to have a job.

On that note, occasionally I do like to get suggestions about beers when I go in to a specialty beer store. I mean sometimes when I am paying $5 or even $10 for 12oz bottle of beer, I would like to get an opinion on it. Of course though if I go in to Total Wine, I take my smart phone in with me and if I question it, I look it up online.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Of course though if I go in to Total Wine, I take my smart phone in with me and if I question it, I look it up online.
    I would only ask the opinion of a worker at a beer store if I knew their pallet. I would never ask a random person, beer flavors and quality vary too much to trust the comments from an unknown pallet.

But I am with you on the smart phone deal, Rate Beer or Beer Advocate can quickly get you a rating that averages out many pallets at once.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Yep. i wish we had them here in PA, but no dice.
    VA is the closest state with TW I think, maybe MD.
    There is one right on the way from the airport to my parents house in FL, and I've never not stopped along the way.
    Idk how far away you are from jersey but there is one in cherry hill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The ones in Tampa and Orlando, don't have cooler space as far as ive seen. But it is one of my favorite places to go when im in the area.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I would only ask the opinion of a worker at a beer store if I knew their pallet. I would never ask a random person, beer flavors and quality vary too much to trust the comments from an unknown pallet.

But I am with you on the smart phone deal, Rate Beer or Beer Advocate can quickly get you a rating that averages out many pallets at once.
    Agreed
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

The White Jeff W

Re: Total Wine

We print their catalog where I work
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cnsaguy View Post

As a vendor for a total wine I can only say this statement is completely false. If there is a new or previously unavailable beer that is in the market - they want it. They want everything from low end natural light/keystone to $20 bombers. They don't want the four loco crap or high alcohol malt beverages

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
    As a vendor for a total wine I can only say this statement is completely false. If there is a new or previously unavailable beer that is in the market - they want it. They want everything from low end natural light/keystone to $20 bombers. They don't want the four loco crap or high alcohol malt beverages
    As a human being I can say this statement is totally false, no one "wants" natty ice or keystone, not even the collage kids that drink it, all they want is a buzz. ;-)

mtbr member
    The selection at Total Wine is mind blowing. Last time I was in there I was over stimulated by the selection and probably sat there staring at the shelf for a solid 10 minutes trying to figure out what I wanted since I couldn't go nuts buying a ton of random stuff due to my self imposed beer budget.
    Signature

Hillbilly
    They have a solid selection. I just wish that they were more into carrying Barleywines. I wait all year for them and am usually let down when I stop in.