Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 54
  1. #1
    Beer Please!
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,207

    Top 5 in your hometown

    I saw this article this morning and it got me thinking about what my top 5 is just for San Diego. Top 5 Craft Breweries in San Diego 2012

    Mine is similar to the list in the article.

    #1 Ballast Point
    #2 Alesmith
    #3 Mission
    #4 Societe
    #5 Lost Abby


    What city or county do you live in and what are you top 5 local breweries?
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    775
    Easy since there are only 3 w/in an 2 hours drive from home (Troy, ID).
    Palouse Falls
    Riverport
    Paradise Creek
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

  3. #3
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Mine is similar to the list in the article.
    Surprised Pizza Port is not on that list...


    I don't have a lot of really good breweries "locally," so I'll expand it to the Bay Area:

    1. Russian River
    2. Lagunitas
    3. Sante Adairius
    3. Bear Republic
    4. Drakes

  4. #4
    Paper Mill Aleworks
    Reputation: JFryauff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,483
    What's local...less than an hour, 100 mile radius?

    I'll stay Norther Philly suburbs.

    1. Weyerbacher
    2. Forest & Main
    3. Tired Hands
    4. Fegley's Brew Works
    5. Sly Fox

    Just a stones throw beyond though, we've got all the great Philly breweries...Dock St., Boxcar, Yard's, PBC, Manyaunk, Nodding Head, Prism, Victory, Etc.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    58
    Within roughly 4 hours of me is:

    Cigar City
    Swamphead
    Seventh Sun
    Funky Buddha
    Due South

  6. #6
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,869
    I'll chime in for both Bend and SD, since I consider them hometowns as well:

    Bend:

    1. Deschutes
    2. Boneyard
    3. Crux
    4. The Ale Apothecary
    5. Bend Brewing Co.

    SD:

    1. Pizza Port
    2. Alpine
    3. Alesmith
    4. Port/Lost Abbey
    5. Societe

  7. #7
    Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    600
    Favorite San Diego Breweries:
    1. Alesmith
    2. Alpine
    3. Port(s)
    4. Ballast Point
    5. Lost Abby

    Favorite San Diego Places to Drink:
    1. Toronado (I should have my own stool engraved with my name by now)
    2. Hamilton's
    3. Blind Lady Ale House
    4. Small Bar
    5. Tiger Tiger
    It wasn't me

  8. #8
    .
    Reputation: jonz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    753
    Oh man, this is no fair, I live in middle-of-nowhere central PA. But I'll chime in to represent the boondocks.
    1.) Old Forge Brewing Co - walking distance
    2.) Turkey Hill Brewing Co - 10 miles
    3.) Selin's Grove Brewing Company - 15 miles
    4.) Berwick Brewing Company - 20 miles
    5.) Bullfrog Brewery - 35 miles
    6.) Nearest good craft brewery with wide regional distribution: Troegs - 70 miles.

  9. #9
    Paper Mill Aleworks
    Reputation: JFryauff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,483
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    ...But I'll chime in to represent the boondocks.
    1.) Old Forge Brewing Co - walking distance
    2.) Turkey Hill Brewing Co - 10 miles
    3.) Selin's Grove Brewing Company - 15 miles
    4.) Berwick Brewing Company - 20 miles
    5.) Bullfrog Brewery - 35 miles
    The boondocks with some damn fine beer!
    Old Forge firkin nights are amazing, as are most things coming out of Selin's Grove, and even with Terry gone Bullfrog is top notch.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,813
    I'm from Chico, so...

    1. Sierra Nevada Celebration
    2. Sierra Nevada Narwhal
    3. Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye
    4. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    5. Sierra Nevada Torpedo

    But seriously, it's Northern CA (the real northern...) so there are a few breweries I'd consider "local"; Sierra Nevada, North Coast Brewing Co, Anderson Valley, and Lost Coast Brewing Co.

    1. North Coast Old Stock Ale (or Old Rasputin?)
    2. Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
    3. Sierra Nevada Narwhal
    4. North Coast Scrimshaw Pilsner
    5. Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout
    "Got everything you need?"

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    242
    How can you just pick 5? Seriously, from Portland, Oregon and there are too many good beers here to just pick 5. Or I'm not the picky about my beers. Probably the latter.

  12. #12
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe4soul View Post
    How can you just pick 5? Seriously, from Portland, Oregon and there are too many good beers here to just pick 5. Or I'm not the picky about my beers. Probably the latter.
    Breweries, not beers. TwoHeads got a little excited

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,813
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Breweries, not beers. TwoHeads got a little excited
    GODDAMMITTT! Ah well, my post stands as a memorial to the 2 beer late lunch.
    "Got everything you need?"

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    Oh man, this is no fair, I live in middle-of-nowhere central PA. But I'll chime in to represent the boondocks.
    1.) Old Forge Brewing Co - walking distance
    2.) Turkey Hill Brewing Co - 10 miles
    3.) Selin's Grove Brewing Company - 15 miles
    4.) Berwick Brewing Company - 20 miles
    5.) Bullfrog Brewery - 35 miles
    6.) Nearest good craft brewery with wide regional distribution: Troegs - 70 miles.
    You came up with a list of 6 w/in 1.5 hours of home. It appears that nowhere in PA is boondocks.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,872
    Portland, Oregon...where do I start?

    Hopworks Urban Brewery
    Hair Of The Dog
    New Old Lompoc
    Laurelwood
    Alameda
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

    Blog

  16. #16
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Portland, Oregon...where do I start?

    Hopworks Urban Brewery
    Hair Of The Dog
    New Old Lompoc
    Laurelwood
    Alameda
    No Deschutes, Cascade or Upright?



    Tough living areas full of awesome beer

  17. #17
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,529
    Bend:

    1) Deschutes
    2) Crux Fermentation Project
    3) Boneyard
    4) Silver Moon
    5) Good Life (they slowly get better all the time)

    Johnny Martino, I really must try (read: become a member of) Ale Apothecary. Some of their beers sound delightful. Tell me more!

  18. #18
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Tell me more!
    They're great - I think you can pick up some of their stuff from the Brew Shop/Platypus. I've only had Sahalie and La Tache, but they were good enough that I'd take them over the other places in Bend. Anyone who specializes in wild ales and barrel aging is doing it right - and besides Deschutes, they seem to be the only dedicated joint in town.

    I'll have to try Good Life again. The last four or five times I've tried it, it's been a little disappointing. Maybe Curt and the gang have worked out their system. Silver Moon makes some great hoppy beers (I really liked Hoptagon) but I haven't had their non pales/IPAs.

    Really glad you didn't list 10 Barrel - that place still doesn't know how to make good beer. I've been there probably 10 times (because it's a great venue) but their beer always fails to deliver. I know a big group of MTBR guys just went to Bend and went to 10 Barrel a few times, and they agree that it's not one of the better breweries in town.

  19. #19
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,529
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    They're great - I think you can pick up some of their stuff from the Brew Shop/Platypus. I've only had Sahalie and La Tache, but they were good enough that I'd take them over the other places in Bend. Anyone who specializes in wild ales and barrel aging is doing it right - and besides Deschutes, they seem to be the only dedicated joint in town.

    I'll have to try Good Life again. The last four or five times I've tried it, it's been a little disappointing. Maybe Curt and the gang have worked out their system. Silver Moon makes some great hoppy beers (I really liked Hoptagon) but I haven't had their non pales/IPAs.

    Really glad you didn't list 10 Barrel - that place still doesn't know how to make good beer. I've been there probably 10 times (because it's a great venue) but their beer always fails to deliver. I know a big group of MTBR guys just went to Bend and went to 10 Barrel a few times, and they agree that it's not one of the better breweries in town.
    I always thought Ale Apothecary was an ale club; cool beans if I can buy elsewhere!

    Yeah, 10 Barrel never ceases to disappoint. Why is that?? But their food is, IMO, sublime for brewery food.

    By the way, has anyone tried their new Rye'm or Treason Rye Ale? As much as I dislike their beer, I really must try this.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Slow Danger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,410
    I went to 10 Barrel not long after they opened. I liked the beer, at least in the sense that I found it very drinkable, but did not like the food. So I guess I'm the opposite of you, DirtFarmer. But that was long ago. Maybe food has improved since the early days, or I ordered the wrong thing. I still like 10 Barrel's IPA quite a bit, especially when I need an Oregon IPA in 6 packs.

    I just had Boneyard's RPM IPA for the first time. On tap. I loved it. Excited for the bottling to begin.

    I've liked both Silver Moon beers I've tried.

    I'm one of the folks who live so rural that there are no breweries in the area. Two hours to get anywhere. I have Rogue over in Newport. And there is Ninkasi and, I think, Oakshire in Eugene. Pelican up in Pacific City wins awards, but I've never had a beer I really liked from them, though I've only tried, perhaps, three from them. I guess there are some guys in Florence, Oregon, who are brewing in a warehouse, or something, and one never can be quite sure when they are open, or if they have beer. I'd like to get there to try them out.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 12-11-2012 at 10:08 PM.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bike Whisperer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,872
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    No Deschutes, Cascade or Upright?



    Tough living areas full of awesome beer
    Deschutes is brewed in Bend which is a 3 hour drive from PDX, haven't had a Cascade or Upright but I'll keep my eye out for them.

    If I included all of Oregon then Deschutes and Ninkasi would be in my top 5
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

    Blog

  22. #22
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Deschutes is brewed in Bend which is a 3 hour drive from PDX, haven't had a Cascade or Upright but I'll keep my eye out for them.

    If I included all of Oregon then Deschutes and Ninkasi would be in my top 5
    Deschutes Portland is a Brewpub, meaning they brew beer too. Ryan Schmiege is the brewer. You should definitely go check it out - some of their beers are insanely good (just like Bend's brewpub.)

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Portland, Oregon...where do I start?

    Hopworks Urban Brewery
    Hair Of The Dog
    New Old Lompoc
    Laurelwood
    Alameda
    Good ones but then there's
    Amnesia
    Gigantic
    That I would add.

    Or just about any other brew pub that is within about 5 miles of where I am at any time in Portland. Plus every bar has rotating taps of very good local beer.I feel sorry for you guys that have to settle.

  24. #24
    Afric Pepperbird
    Reputation: dirt farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Deschutes is brewed in Bend which is a 3 hour drive from PDX, haven't had a Cascade or Upright but I'll keep my eye out for them.

    If I included all of Oregon then Deschutes and Ninkasi would be in my top 5
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Deschutes Portland is a Brewpub, meaning they brew beer too. Ryan Schmiege is the brewer. You should definitely go check it out - some of their beers are insanely good (just like Bend's brewpub.)
    I agree. Sometimes the Portland Deschutes pub beer tap list makes the Bend list pale in comparison.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I agree. Sometimes the Portland Deschutes pub beer tap list makes the Bend list pale in comparison.
    Love their beer, hate the location of the pdx brew pub. That's the only reason it didn't make my list.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •