Top 5 in your hometown

Printable View

  • 12-11-2012
    Klurejr
    Top 5 in your hometown
    I saw this article this morning and it got me thinking about what my top 5 is just for San Diego. Top 5 Craft Breweries in San Diego 2012

    Mine is similar to the list in the article.

    #1 Ballast Point
    #2 Alesmith
    #3 Mission
    #4 Societe
    #5 Lost Abby


    What city or county do you live in and what are you top 5 local breweries?
  • 12-11-2012
    debaucherous
    Easy since there are only 3 w/in an 2 hours drive from home (Troy, ID).
    Palouse Falls
    Riverport
    Paradise Creek
  • 12-11-2012
    jtmartino
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Mine is similar to the list in the article.

    Surprised Pizza Port is not on that list...


    I don't have a lot of really good breweries "locally," so I'll expand it to the Bay Area:

    1. Russian River
    2. Lagunitas
    3. Sante Adairius
    3. Bear Republic
    4. Drakes
  • 12-11-2012
    JFryauff
    What's local...less than an hour, 100 mile radius?

    I'll stay Norther Philly suburbs.

    1. Weyerbacher
    2. Forest & Main
    3. Tired Hands
    4. Fegley's Brew Works
    5. Sly Fox

    Just a stones throw beyond though, we've got all the great Philly breweries...Dock St., Boxcar, Yard's, PBC, Manyaunk, Nodding Head, Prism, Victory, Etc.
  • 12-11-2012
    mbakes
    Within roughly 4 hours of me is:

    Cigar City
    Swamphead
    Seventh Sun
    Funky Buddha
    Due South
  • 12-11-2012
    jtmartino
    I'll chime in for both Bend and SD, since I consider them hometowns as well:

    Bend:

    1. Deschutes
    2. Boneyard
    3. Crux
    4. The Ale Apothecary
    5. Bend Brewing Co.

    SD:

    1. Pizza Port
    2. Alpine
    3. Alesmith
    4. Port/Lost Abbey
    5. Societe
  • 12-11-2012
    Howeler
    Favorite San Diego Breweries:
    1. Alesmith
    2. Alpine
    3. Port(s)
    4. Ballast Point
    5. Lost Abby

    Favorite San Diego Places to Drink:
    1. Toronado (I should have my own stool engraved with my name by now)
    2. Hamilton's
    3. Blind Lady Ale House
    4. Small Bar
    5. Tiger Tiger
  • 12-11-2012
    jonz
    Oh man, this is no fair, I live in middle-of-nowhere central PA. But I'll chime in to represent the boondocks. :p:p
    1.) Old Forge Brewing Co - walking distance
    2.) Turkey Hill Brewing Co - 10 miles
    3.) Selin's Grove Brewing Company - 15 miles
    4.) Berwick Brewing Company - 20 miles
    5.) Bullfrog Brewery - 35 miles
    6.) Nearest good craft brewery with wide regional distribution: Troegs - 70 miles.
  • 12-11-2012
    JFryauff
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    ...But I'll chime in to represent the boondocks. :p:p
    1.) Old Forge Brewing Co - walking distance
    2.) Turkey Hill Brewing Co - 10 miles
    3.) Selin's Grove Brewing Company - 15 miles
    4.) Berwick Brewing Company - 20 miles
    5.) Bullfrog Brewery - 35 miles

    The boondocks with some damn fine beer!
    Old Forge firkin nights are amazing, as are most things coming out of Selin's Grove, and even with Terry gone Bullfrog is top notch.
  • 12-11-2012
    TwoHeadsBrewing
    I'm from Chico, so...

    1. Sierra Nevada Celebration
    2. Sierra Nevada Narwhal
    3. Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye
    4. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    5. Sierra Nevada Torpedo

    But seriously, it's Northern CA (the real northern...) so there are a few breweries I'd consider "local"; Sierra Nevada, North Coast Brewing Co, Anderson Valley, and Lost Coast Brewing Co.

    1. North Coast Old Stock Ale (or Old Rasputin?)
    2. Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
    3. Sierra Nevada Narwhal
    4. North Coast Scrimshaw Pilsner
    5. Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout
  • 12-11-2012
    Poe4soul
    How can you just pick 5? Seriously, from Portland, Oregon and there are too many good beers here to just pick 5. Or I'm not the picky about my beers. Probably the latter.
  • 12-11-2012
    jtmartino
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Poe4soul View Post
    How can you just pick 5? Seriously, from Portland, Oregon and there are too many good beers here to just pick 5. Or I'm not the picky about my beers. Probably the latter.

    Breweries, not beers. TwoHeads got a little excited ;)
  • 12-11-2012
    TwoHeadsBrewing
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Breweries, not beers. TwoHeads got a little excited ;)

    GODDAMMITTT! :madman: Ah well, my post stands as a memorial to the 2 beer late lunch.
  • 12-11-2012
    debaucherous
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    Oh man, this is no fair, I live in middle-of-nowhere central PA. But I'll chime in to represent the boondocks. :p:p
    1.) Old Forge Brewing Co - walking distance
    2.) Turkey Hill Brewing Co - 10 miles
    3.) Selin's Grove Brewing Company - 15 miles
    4.) Berwick Brewing Company - 20 miles
    5.) Bullfrog Brewery - 35 miles
    6.) Nearest good craft brewery with wide regional distribution: Troegs - 70 miles.

    You came up with a list of 6 w/in 1.5 hours of home. It appears that nowhere in PA is boondocks. ;)
  • 12-11-2012
    Bike Whisperer
    Portland, Oregon...where do I start?

    Hopworks Urban Brewery
    Hair Of The Dog
    New Old Lompoc
    Laurelwood
    Alameda
  • 12-11-2012
    jtmartino
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Portland, Oregon...where do I start?

    Hopworks Urban Brewery
    Hair Of The Dog
    New Old Lompoc
    Laurelwood
    Alameda

    No Deschutes, Cascade or Upright?



    Tough living areas full of awesome beer :)
  • 12-11-2012
    dirt farmer
    Bend:

    1) Deschutes
    2) Crux Fermentation Project
    3) Boneyard
    4) Silver Moon
    5) Good Life (they slowly get better all the time)

    Johnny Martino, I really must try (read: become a member of) Ale Apothecary. Some of their beers sound delightful. Tell me more!
  • 12-11-2012
    jtmartino
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Tell me more!

    They're great - I think you can pick up some of their stuff from the Brew Shop/Platypus. I've only had Sahalie and La Tache, but they were good enough that I'd take them over the other places in Bend. Anyone who specializes in wild ales and barrel aging is doing it right - and besides Deschutes, they seem to be the only dedicated joint in town.

    I'll have to try Good Life again. The last four or five times I've tried it, it's been a little disappointing. Maybe Curt and the gang have worked out their system. Silver Moon makes some great hoppy beers (I really liked Hoptagon) but I haven't had their non pales/IPAs.

    Really glad you didn't list 10 Barrel - that place still doesn't know how to make good beer. I've been there probably 10 times (because it's a great venue) but their beer always fails to deliver. I know a big group of MTBR guys just went to Bend and went to 10 Barrel a few times, and they agree that it's not one of the better breweries in town.
  • 12-11-2012
    dirt farmer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    They're great - I think you can pick up some of their stuff from the Brew Shop/Platypus. I've only had Sahalie and La Tache, but they were good enough that I'd take them over the other places in Bend. Anyone who specializes in wild ales and barrel aging is doing it right - and besides Deschutes, they seem to be the only dedicated joint in town.

    I'll have to try Good Life again. The last four or five times I've tried it, it's been a little disappointing. Maybe Curt and the gang have worked out their system. Silver Moon makes some great hoppy beers (I really liked Hoptagon) but I haven't had their non pales/IPAs.

    Really glad you didn't list 10 Barrel - that place still doesn't know how to make good beer. I've been there probably 10 times (because it's a great venue) but their beer always fails to deliver. I know a big group of MTBR guys just went to Bend and went to 10 Barrel a few times, and they agree that it's not one of the better breweries in town.

    I always thought Ale Apothecary was an ale club; cool beans if I can buy elsewhere!

    Yeah, 10 Barrel never ceases to disappoint. Why is that?? But their food is, IMO, sublime for brewery food.

    By the way, has anyone tried their new Rye'm or Treason Rye Ale? As much as I dislike their beer, I really must try this.
  • 12-11-2012
    Slow Danger
    I went to 10 Barrel not long after they opened. I liked the beer, at least in the sense that I found it very drinkable, but did not like the food. So I guess I'm the opposite of you, DirtFarmer. But that was long ago. Maybe food has improved since the early days, or I ordered the wrong thing. I still like 10 Barrel's IPA quite a bit, especially when I need an Oregon IPA in 6 packs.

    I just had Boneyard's RPM IPA for the first time. On tap. I loved it. Excited for the bottling to begin.

    I've liked both Silver Moon beers I've tried.

    I'm one of the folks who live so rural that there are no breweries in the area. Two hours to get anywhere. I have Rogue over in Newport. And there is Ninkasi and, I think, Oakshire in Eugene. Pelican up in Pacific City wins awards, but I've never had a beer I really liked from them, though I've only tried, perhaps, three from them. I guess there are some guys in Florence, Oregon, who are brewing in a warehouse, or something, and one never can be quite sure when they are open, or if they have beer. I'd like to get there to try them out.
  • 12-11-2012
    Bike Whisperer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    No Deschutes, Cascade or Upright?



    Tough living areas full of awesome beer :)

    Deschutes is brewed in Bend which is a 3 hour drive from PDX, haven't had a Cascade or Upright but I'll keep my eye out for them.

    If I included all of Oregon then Deschutes and Ninkasi would be in my top 5
  • 12-11-2012
    jtmartino
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Deschutes is brewed in Bend which is a 3 hour drive from PDX, haven't had a Cascade or Upright but I'll keep my eye out for them.

    If I included all of Oregon then Deschutes and Ninkasi would be in my top 5

    Deschutes Portland is a Brewpub, meaning they brew beer too. Ryan Schmiege is the brewer. You should definitely go check it out - some of their beers are insanely good (just like Bend's brewpub.)
  • 12-11-2012
    Poe4soul
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Portland, Oregon...where do I start?

    Hopworks Urban Brewery
    Hair Of The Dog
    New Old Lompoc
    Laurelwood
    Alameda

    Good ones but then there's
    Amnesia
    Gigantic
    That I would add.

    Or just about any other brew pub that is within about 5 miles of where I am at any time in Portland. Plus every bar has rotating taps of very good local beer.I feel sorry for you guys that have to settle.
  • 12-11-2012
    dirt farmer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Deschutes is brewed in Bend which is a 3 hour drive from PDX, haven't had a Cascade or Upright but I'll keep my eye out for them.

    If I included all of Oregon then Deschutes and Ninkasi would be in my top 5

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Deschutes Portland is a Brewpub, meaning they brew beer too. Ryan Schmiege is the brewer. You should definitely go check it out - some of their beers are insanely good (just like Bend's brewpub.)

    I agree. Sometimes the Portland Deschutes pub beer tap list makes the Bend list pale in comparison.
  • 12-11-2012
    Poe4soul
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    I agree. Sometimes the Portland Deschutes pub beer tap list makes the Bend list pale in comparison.

    Love their beer, hate the location of the pdx brew pub. That's the only reason it didn't make my list.
  • 12-12-2012
    jtmartino
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Poe4soul View Post
    Love their beer, hate the location of the pdx brew pub. That's the only reason it didn't make my list.

    Where would you rather it be? That's a pretty popular area for locals and tourists alike...
  • 12-12-2012
    jrm
    East Bay: San Francisco Bay Area
    Based on proximity to my zip code

    1. Highwater (4)
    2. Drakes (1)
    3. Linden Street (3)
    4. Elevation 66 (5)
    5. 21st Amendment (2)

    jrms rank ( #)
  • 12-12-2012
    Poe4soul
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Where would you rather it be? That's a pretty popular area for locals and tourists alike...

    I posted some. I'm just not into the Pearl District. I used to frequent bridgeport back in the day before the yuppification of the brewery blocks. I loved their cask conditioned IPA especially since they weren't served as cold as a pilsner should be served and in a true pounder.

    Don't get me wrong, I enjoy their beer, I just don't venture into downtown much,especially the Pearl District. It is kinda strange because I live about 5 minutes south of town near the curves. I will drive past downtown to go to one of the other breweries. Again, great beer, except that white IPA which is pure crapp.
  • 12-12-2012
    Carl Hungus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Where would you rather it be? That's a pretty popular area for locals and tourists alike...

    Granted I don't live there and yeah it's yuppified or whatever you want to call it but it's a beautiful building/space in my opinion.
  • 12-12-2012
    SHF
    Chicago Area:

    1-Revolution
    2-Three Floyds
    3-Haymarket
    4-Piece
    5-Goose Island
  • 12-12-2012
    dirt farmer
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Granted I don't live there and yeah it's yuppified or whatever you want to call it but it's a beautiful building/space in my opinion.

    Plus, it's right around the corner from Powell's Books!

    Any Portland resident who doesn't frequently visit Powell's has a screw loose, IMO!
  • 12-12-2012
    jtmartino
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Granted I don't live there and yeah it's yuppified or whatever you want to call it but it's a beautiful building/space in my opinion.

    I have a couple friends who work there and they say it's a really great place to work, too. I agree with you on the architecture, and the expansion in Bend was built in the same fashion.

    +1 on DF's Powell's recommendation.

    And hey, at least it's not up on 23rd :D
  • 12-12-2012
    Carl Hungus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    I have a couple friends who work there and they say it's a really great place to work, too. I agree with you on the architecture, and the expansion in Bend was built in the same fashion.

    +1 on DF's Powell's recommendation.

    And hey, at least it's not up on 23rd :D

    Ha. When we visited last Summer we stayed at a vacation rental on Kearney right off 23rd. 23rd reminds me of Union St. in Cow Hollow/SF. Awesome place to stay for a weekend but yeah it's pretty posh. We walked to Upright and many other places from that location. Here's a link to the vrbo page if anyone is planning a Portland trip.
  • 12-12-2012
    GTscoob
    Atlanta:

    1. Wild Heaven
    2. Monday Night Brewing
    3. Red Brick
    4. Red Hare
    5. Sweetwater

    If I expanded to the 4 hours that most folks are doing, I'd bump Sweetwater off and put Terrapin at #3. Technically Red Hare is not in the city but its in the burbs and part of the Metro 16 counties considered Atlanta to the rest of the world.
  • 12-12-2012
    JFryauff
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Atlanta:

    1. Wild Heaven
    2. Monday Night Brewing
    3. Red Brick
    4. Red Hare
    5. Sweetwater

    If I expanded to the 4 hours that most folks are doing, I'd bump Sweetwater off and put Terrapin at #3. Technically Red Hare is not in the city but its in the burbs and part of the Metro 16 counties considered Atlanta to the rest of the world.

    If you haven't already, make sure to get out and try some Jailhouse Brewing and Wrecking Bar Brewpub, they should be on that list too. Granted, the five you have are all really good.
  • 12-12-2012
    GTscoob
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    If you haven't already, make sure to get out and try some Jailhouse Brewing and Wrecking Bar Brewpub, they should be on that list too. Granted, the five you have are all really good.

    Jailhouse doesnt ever impress but I do try their beer on a regular basis whenever I see something new. Wrecking Bar is over on my side of town but I've just never managed to stumble on in - their cask beers at Hotoberfest were incredible though.
  • 12-12-2012
    Poe4soul
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    I have a couple friends who work there and they say it's a really great place to work, too. I agree with you on the architecture, and the expansion in Bend was built in the same fashion.

    +1 on DF's Powell's recommendation.

    And hey, at least it's not up on 23rd :D

    I've been, it's cool. I like the public house in Bend better. But your asking for my top 5, not the best beer or the coolest. The places I mentioned are due to many factors including location, atmosphere, price, etc.

    Here's a link to Portland area breweries. I just realized there are many, many brew pubs I haven't been to in the Portland area. I guess I better print of the list and start checking them off before I can really say which are my favorite.

    Not a brew pub but Prost! is pretty good beer spot in Portland if you want to have some non-hopped german style beers.
  • 12-13-2012
    norton55
    I live out in the woods, so the closet brewery is 25 miles away.
    Russian River
    Lagunitas
    Dempsey's
    Bear Republic
    Ruth McGowns
  • 12-13-2012
    Guerdonian
    Fort Collins (all of these are within 2 miles of my house):
    1. Equinox Brewing
    2. New Belgium
    3. Odell Brewing
    4. Funkwerks
    5. Fort Collins Brewing
  • 12-13-2012
    customfab
    [QUOTE=jtmartino;9960551]I'll chime in for both Bend and SD, since I consider them hometowns as well:

    Bend:

    1. Deschutes
    2. Boneyard
    3. Crux
    4. The Ale Apothecary
    5. Bend Brewing Co.

    Boneyard doesn't belong on that list. They do make some pretty good beers. They also have major consistency problems.
  • 12-13-2012
    customfab
    duplicate
  • 12-13-2012
    customfab
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    I agree with you on the architecture, and the expansion in Bend was built in the same fashion.
    :D

    Unfortunately so was the menu.
  • 12-13-2012
    JFryauff
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Jailhouse doesnt ever impress but I do try their beer on a regular basis whenever I see something new. Wrecking Bar is over on my side of town but I've just never managed to stumble on in - their cask beers at Hotoberfest were incredible though.

    Have you tried Twain's new in-house stuff yet?
    Last time I was there they were just getting the brewery up and running, but the tap offerings sound interesting at least.

    Also, David (Twain's head brewer) is leaving there for Creature comfort Brewing in Athens soon, which may be another good option.
  • 12-13-2012
    JFryauff
    So nice, it posted twice ;)
  • 12-13-2012
    Guerdonian
    Looks like I am not the only one having issues with the forum today.
  • 12-13-2012
    Carl Hungus
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    I live out in the woods, so the closet brewery is 25 miles away.
    Russian River
    Lagunitas
    Dempsey's
    Bear Republic
    Ruth McGowns

    What/Where is Dempsey's? What's the latest on the Barley and Hops Tavern's Nano project in Sebastapol?
  • 12-13-2012
    jtmartino
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Poe4soul View Post
    I've been, it's cool. I like the public house in Bend better. But your asking for my top 5, not the best beer or the coolest. The places I mentioned are due to many factors including location, atmosphere, price, etc.

    Here's a link to Portland area breweries. I just realized there are many, many brew pubs I haven't been to in the Portland area. I guess I better print of the list and start checking them off before I can really say which are my favorite.

    Not a brew pub but Prost! is pretty good beer spot in Portland if you want to have some non-hopped german style beers.

    Agree with the sentiment - this is all very subjective. I was just curious as to the neighborhood comment since I don't live in Portland :) Great list though!

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Boneyard doesn't belong on that list. They do make some pretty good beers. They also have major consistency problems.

    I have not noticed any consistency issues. Their RPM, Hop Venom, Armored Fist, Notorious and Suge Knight are really, really good.

    Who would you put on the list instead of them? A big selling point for me is that they make arguably the best IPAs/DIPAs in the state, and a kickass CDA and stout.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Unfortunately so was the menu.

    I don't know what you mean - you are literally the only person I have ever heard say that the new menu is worse than the old one. What was better about the old menu?
  • 12-13-2012
    GeePhroh
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    I have not noticed any consistency issues. Their RPM, Hop Venom, Armored Fist, Notorious and Suge Knight are really, really good.

    Armored Fist...yum! FWIW, I timed my drive down to Tahoe from Seattle to hit Bend at 11am when Boneyard opens. I usually have a pint of Boneyard when I see it on tap up here (which is a lot), and haven't noticed quality problems either. But I did hear that they're really having trouble keeping up with demand. Classic problem, right?

    So I've intentionally stayed away from this thread 'cause I don't usually like to name my "top whatever." I'll give the current list of my 5 local brewers that I'd recommend checking out if you're travelling up this way:

    - Reuben's Brews
    - Naked City
    - Black Raven
    - Elliot Bay
    - Elysian
  • 12-13-2012
    dirt farmer
    To be honest, the only Boneyard I like - and I really, really like it - is RPM IPA, and also their Girl Beer, believe it or not.

    Their other offerings are fine, but nothing I'd go out of my way to purchase.
  • 12-13-2012
    customfab
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Agree with the sentiment - this is all very subjective. I was just curious as to the neighborhood comment since I don't live in Portland :) Great list though!



    I have not noticed any consistency issues. Their RPM, Hop Venom, Armored Fist, Notorious and Suge Knight are really, really good.

    Who would you put on the list instead of them? A big selling point for me is that they make arguably the best IPAs/DIPAs in the state, and a kickass CDA and stout.



    I don't know what you mean - you are literally the only person I have ever heard say that the new menu is worse than the old one. What was better about the old menu?

    I've seen their RPM come out of their own tap looking like an unfiltered wheat. Out of a keg that hadn't been moved and was far from empty. I've also seen it at plenty of bars/restaurants around town. They rush beers out of that place too damn fast sometimes. When it's good it can be some of the best. When it's not a few people notice but most wouldn't know an off flavor if they choked on it. The special beers they do are almost always a hit, they get the care and patience that every beer should get.

    The menu at Deschutes isn't bad by any stretch. I feel it's some of the best pub food in town actually. It seems in the months leading up to the expansion their menu and dishes got a big ol slap of hipster-ville. I remember ordering a burger once and it came on something that was trying to be a bun. Alas it was not a bun. Some of the other things on the menu make it seem to me like they are trying just a little bit to hard.

    I would put 10 bbl or Silver Moon on the list instead of Boneyard. 10bbl has had there moments but with the people in their brew house now they are going to pick it up a few notches. Silver moon can brew some awesome beers but there are a few hurdles to them really killing it.