Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe4soul View Post
    Love their beer, hate the location of the pdx brew pub. That's the only reason it didn't make my list.
    Where would you rather it be? That's a pretty popular area for locals and tourists alike...

jrm
    mtbr member

East Bay: San Francisco Bay Area

Based on proximity to my zip code

1. Highwater (4)
    2. Drakes (1)
    3. Linden Street (3)
    4. Elevation 66 (5)
    5. 21st Amendment (2)

jrms rank ( #)
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Where would you rather it be? That's a pretty popular area for locals and tourists alike...
    I posted some. I'm just not into the Pearl District. I used to frequent bridgeport back in the day before the yuppification of the brewery blocks. I loved their cask conditioned IPA especially since they weren't served as cold as a pilsner should be served and in a true pounder.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy their beer, I just don't venture into downtown much,especially the Pearl District. It is kinda strange because I live about 5 minutes south of town near the curves. I will drive past downtown to go to one of the other breweries. Again, great beer, except that white IPA which is pure crapp.

mtbr member
    Granted I don't live there and yeah it's yuppified or whatever you want to call it but it's a beautiful building/space in my opinion.

SHF
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Chicago Area:

1-Revolution
    2-Three Floyds
    3-Haymarket
    4-Piece
    5-Goose Island

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Granted I don't live there and yeah it's yuppified or whatever you want to call it but it's a beautiful building/space in my opinion.
    Plus, it's right around the corner from Powell's Books!

Any Portland resident who doesn't frequently visit Powell's has a screw loose, IMO!

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    I have a couple friends who work there and they say it's a really great place to work, too. I agree with you on the architecture, and the expansion in Bend was built in the same fashion.

+1 on DF's Powell's recommendation.

And hey, at least it's not up on 23rd

mtbr member
    I have a couple friends who work there and they say it's a really great place to work, too. I agree with you on the architecture, and the expansion in Bend was built in the same fashion.

Ha. When we visited last Summer we stayed at a vacation rental on Kearney right off 23rd. 23rd reminds me of Union St. in Cow Hollow/SF. Awesome place to stay for a weekend but yeah it's pretty posh. We walked to Upright and many other places from that location. Here's a link to the vrbo page if anyone is planning a Portland trip.

mtbr member
    Atlanta:

1. Wild Heaven
    2. Monday Night Brewing
    3. Red Brick
    4. Red Hare
    5. Sweetwater

If I expanded to the 4 hours that most folks are doing, I'd bump Sweetwater off and put Terrapin at #3. Technically Red Hare is not in the city but its in the burbs and part of the Metro 16 counties considered Atlanta to the rest of the world.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Atlanta:

1. Wild Heaven
    2. Monday Night Brewing
    3. Red Brick
    4. Red Hare
    5. Sweetwater

If I expanded to the 4 hours that most folks are doing, I'd bump Sweetwater off and put Terrapin at #3. Technically Red Hare is not in the city but its in the burbs and part of the Metro 16 counties considered Atlanta to the rest of the world.
    If you haven't already, make sure to get out and try some Jailhouse Brewing and Wrecking Bar Brewpub, they should be on that list too. Granted, the five you have are all really good.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    If you haven't already, make sure to get out and try some Jailhouse Brewing and Wrecking Bar Brewpub, they should be on that list too. Granted, the five you have are all really good.
    Jailhouse doesnt ever impress but I do try their beer on a regular basis whenever I see something new. Wrecking Bar is over on my side of town but I've just never managed to stumble on in - their cask beers at Hotoberfest were incredible though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I've been, it's cool. I like the public house in Bend better. But your asking for my top 5, not the best beer or the coolest. The places I mentioned are due to many factors including location, atmosphere, price, etc.

Here's a link to Portland area breweries. I just realized there are many, many brew pubs I haven't been to in the Portland area. I guess I better print of the list and start checking them off before I can really say which are my favorite.

Not a brew pub but Prost! is pretty good beer spot in Portland if you want to have some non-hopped german style beers.

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005
    I live out in the woods, so the closet brewery is 25 miles away.
    Russian River
    Lagunitas
    Dempsey's
    Bear Republic
    Ruth McGowns
    Last edited by norton55; 12-13-2012 at 06:14 AM. Reason: word created unauthorized link

Beer Me!
    Fort Collins (all of these are within 2 miles of my house):
    1. Equinox Brewing
    2. New Belgium
    3. Odell Brewing
    4. Funkwerks
    5. Fort Collins Brewing
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Plays with tools
    [QUOTE=jtmartino;9960551]I'll chime in for both Bend and SD, since I consider them hometowns as well:

Bend:

1. Deschutes
    2. Boneyard
    3. Crux
    4. The Ale Apothecary
    5. Bend Brewing Co.

Boneyard doesn't belong on that list. They do make some pretty good beers. They also have major consistency problems.

Plays with tools
    duplicate
    Last edited by customfab; 12-13-2012 at 10:17 AM.

Plays with tools
    I agree with you on the architecture, and the expansion in Bend was built in the same fashion.
    Unfortunately so was the menu.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Jailhouse doesnt ever impress but I do try their beer on a regular basis whenever I see something new. Wrecking Bar is over on my side of town but I've just never managed to stumble on in - their cask beers at Hotoberfest were incredible though.
    Have you tried Twain's new in-house stuff yet?
    Last time I was there they were just getting the brewery up and running, but the tap offerings sound interesting at least.

Also, David (Twain's head brewer) is leaving there for Creature comfort Brewing in Athens soon, which may be another good option.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Paper Mill Aleworks
    So nice, it posted twice
    Last edited by JFryauff; 12-13-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Beer Me!
    Looks like I am not the only one having issues with the forum today.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    I live out in the woods, so the closet brewery is 25 miles away.
    Russian River
    Lagunitas
    Dempsey's
    Bear Republic
    Ruth McGowns
    What/Where is Dempsey's? What's the latest on the Barley and Hops Tavern's Nano project in Sebastapol?

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe4soul View Post
    I've been, it's cool. I like the public house in Bend better. But your asking for my top 5, not the best beer or the coolest. The places I mentioned are due to many factors including location, atmosphere, price, etc.

Here's a link to Portland area breweries. I just realized there are many, many brew pubs I haven't been to in the Portland area. I guess I better print of the list and start checking them off before I can really say which are my favorite.

Not a brew pub but Prost! is pretty good beer spot in Portland if you want to have some non-hopped german style beers.
    Agree with the sentiment - this is all very subjective. I was just curious as to the neighborhood comment since I don't live in Portland Great list though!

Boneyard doesn't belong on that list. They do make some pretty good beers. They also have major consistency problems.
    I have not noticed any consistency issues. Their RPM, Hop Venom, Armored Fist, Notorious and Suge Knight are really, really good.

Who would you put on the list instead of them? A big selling point for me is that they make arguably the best IPAs/DIPAs in the state, and a kickass CDA and stout.

Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Unfortunately so was the menu.
    I don't know what you mean - you are literally the only person I have ever heard say that the new menu is worse than the old one. What was better about the old menu?

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    I have not noticed any consistency issues. Their RPM, Hop Venom, Armored Fist, Notorious and Suge Knight are really, really good.
    Armored Fist...yum! FWIW, I timed my drive down to Tahoe from Seattle to hit Bend at 11am when Boneyard opens. I usually have a pint of Boneyard when I see it on tap up here (which is a lot), and haven't noticed quality problems either. But I did hear that they're really having trouble keeping up with demand. Classic problem, right?

So I've intentionally stayed away from this thread 'cause I don't usually like to name my "top whatever." I'll give the current list of my 5 local brewers that I'd recommend checking out if you're travelling up this way:

- Reuben's Brews
    - Naked City
    - Black Raven
    - Elliot Bay
    - Elysian

Afric Pepperbird
    To be honest, the only Boneyard I like - and I really, really like it - is RPM IPA, and also their Girl Beer, believe it or not.

Their other offerings are fine, but nothing I'd go out of my way to purchase.

Plays with tools
    Agree with the sentiment - this is all very subjective. I was just curious as to the neighborhood comment since I don't live in Portland Great list though!

Who would you put on the list instead of them? A big selling point for me is that they make arguably the best IPAs/DIPAs in the state, and a kickass CDA and stout.

I don't know what you mean - you are literally the only person I have ever heard say that the new menu is worse than the old one. What was better about the old menu?
    I've seen their RPM come out of their own tap looking like an unfiltered wheat. Out of a keg that hadn't been moved and was far from empty. I've also seen it at plenty of bars/restaurants around town. They rush beers out of that place too damn fast sometimes. When it's good it can be some of the best. When it's not a few people notice but most wouldn't know an off flavor if they choked on it. The special beers they do are almost always a hit, they get the care and patience that every beer should get.

The menu at Deschutes isn't bad by any stretch. I feel it's some of the best pub food in town actually. It seems in the months leading up to the expansion their menu and dishes got a big ol slap of hipster-ville. I remember ordering a burger once and it came on something that was trying to be a bun. Alas it was not a bun. Some of the other things on the menu make it seem to me like they are trying just a little bit to hard.

I would put 10 bbl or Silver Moon on the list instead of Boneyard. 10bbl has had there moments but with the people in their brew house now they are going to pick it up a few notches. Silver moon can brew some awesome beers but there are a few hurdles to them really killing it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast