i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

Thumbs up for (Greater) Sacto!

Just got back from a quick trip visiting my brother and sister-in-law down in Sacramento, and I was impressed. It's been a couple of years since I've spent any time there, and it feels like the beer scene is pumping!

Here's some of the local-ish stuff I sampled, mostly at either Dad's or Hot City Pizza:

- Track 7 Porter
    - Device Pale and Double IPA
    - Faction Pale
    - Highwater 2x IPA
    - Old Glory Fall Freedom Brown
    - Auburn Alehouse p u 240
    - Brewing Lair Simcoe Single Pale
    - Ale Industries Golden State of Mind
    - Knee Deep Hoptologist
    - Ruhstaller The Sauce
    - Berryessa The House IPA

Got to give a shout-out to Hot City. It's a tiny storefront in a nondescript stripmall that has OK pizza; but a really impressive set of handles and a solid bottle selection.

The only actual brewery I had a chance to visit was Device, which turned out to be in a warehouse complex right next door to where my brother has his music studio. Ken and Melissa, the owners, had just opened the new tap-room a few weeks earlier. Really nice people and it's a great space; I'm guessing they'll do well there.

I also brought home a bottle of the Ruhstaller Hop Sac CA Wet Hop and a Hop Sac Flight 2013 box set that I picked up from Corti Brothers. Ruhstaller's The Sauce coffee porter was delicious -- very nicely highlighted the beans they sourced from Old Soul, an incredible roaster in Sac. The Hop Sac series uses CA-grown hops which is pretty unusual -- I'm stoked to give them a try.

So, a question for all the local Sactown peeps: I know I'm hitting Track 7, Knee Deep and Berryessa next time I'm down there, but are there other brews or pubs you'd recommend?

Hi.
    I don't have a ton of input about the greater Sac area, but it may be worth hitting Fifty Fifty up in Truckee if it's during Eclipse season.

Also don't get your hopes up about Ruhstaller's hoppy beer - everything I've had from them has been pretty bad. Tons of off-flavors in their hop sac brews.

Check out Ale Industries' East Bay IPA if you get a chance - great stuff. Also Knee Deep's Simtra is probably their best beer.

Dropshot Champ!
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Also don't get your hopes up about Ruhstaller's hoppy beer - everything I've had from them has been pretty bad. Tons of off-flavors in their hop sac brews.
    That's a first! They pump out great beers, the capt is on point.

-Track7
    -New Helvetia
    -Device
    -Hoppy
    -Rubicon
    -River City
    -Two Rivers

as well as Pangea, Hop City, and The Shack all round out a really nice microbrew culture in sacramento. If you expand to the greater sacramento area (folsom, roseville, even auburn) you have ALOT of local beers. Thumbs up for sactown!

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man View Post
    That's a first! They pump out great beers, the capt is on point.
    Could be last year's beers - I haven't tried them since 2012. Also the reviews for their Hop Sac beers are pretty damn bad online.

A lot of other local MTBR guys have tried it and I think we all came to the consensus that it would take a lot for us to venture near that brewery again, especially given the quality of alternatives around here.

Jan 2004
    I don't have a ton of input about the greater Sac area, but it may be worth hitting Fifty Fifty up in Truckee if it's during Eclipse season.
    Hell, yeah! I've been visiting those guys on my annual pilgrimage to Tahoe since they opened. You did pick me up an extra bottle of the Pappy Van Winkle 2013 Eclipse, right?

Check out Ale Industries' East Bay IPA if you get a chance - great stuff. Also Knee Deep's Simtra is probably their best beer.
    Yep...the Knee Deep's something I've been able to find through the beer geeks up here. I'll look for the Ale Industries. The wit I had was good, but it's not my favorite style, especially in the winter.

I just read a couple of reviews of the Ruhstaller Hop Sac on RateBeer -- hope folks just got some bad bottles, not a lot of data to judge. Too bad, 'cause The Sauce was a very solid coffee porter.

Ah well, I own it. I'm drinking it.

And thanks for the advice, redmr2_man...definitely want to try some New Helvetia. I also heard the Berryessa Double Tap is supposed to be fantastic. The owner/brewer Chris is a dude from Yakima who brewed up here before moving south. He made some great beers at Pacific Rim back in the early 2000s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    I also heard the Berryessa Double Tap is supposed to be fantastic. The owner/brewer Chris is a dude from Yakima who brewed up here before moving south. He made some great beers at Pacific Rim back in the early 2000s.
    Berryessa Double Tap is outstanding and highly under the radar.

Jan 2004
    Well...tried the Ruhstaller First Leaf Dixon (Hop Sac Series 2013 ? Ruhstaller for the record). Yeah, jtmartino, it wasn't great; but it wasn't as bad as some of the ratebeer reviews, imho. It's got very grassy almost tea notes, and not hoppy (they only claim 42ibu...). I opened it with a couple of beergeek buddies and we all pretty much agreed it was a head-scratcher. Not bad...but kinda weird.

We did think the Bourbon County stout 2008 we opened afterwards was a little bit more memorable.

mtbr member
    Count me as one more that doesn't care for Ruhstaller. I haven't had anything from them that I wanted to drink a second time.

The wife and I spent the evening at our local brewery, Bike Dog Brewing Co. They are a new nano-brewery in West Sacramento. They just have a small taproom across the street from the port.
    We were treated to an impromptu caroling band tonight.
    Thumbs up for (Greater) Sacto!-img_1005.jpg

Bike Dog Brewing Company ? Brewers of small batch beer in West Sacramento
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Dropshot Champ!
    Awesome brewtality, I will have to check that one out!

I checked out Device, based on the suggestion from this thread. Mega west coast hop flavor. The triple ipa was amazing. Like others, I'm getting a little tired of how much hop can a beer have, but still...I always like to try em.

Thumbs up for (Greater) Sacto!-1467336_821247304568196_1643649996_n.jpg

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Count me as one more that doesn't care for Ruhstaller. I haven't had anything from them that I wanted to drink a second time.
    Yeah i've tried most of the Ruhlstallers And wouldn't go back again either....with one exception: they made something called The Kenyan last year and i thought it was pretty good. Only grabbed one bottle of it and I haven't seen it since so i'm guessing it was just some special release or something.

Jan 2004
    Thanks Brewtality! I meant to ask folks about Bike Dog as well -- on my list for the next visit.

mtbr member

Mosaic Pale Ale. Bright citrus and stone fruit flavors. A scant 5.25%, so I'm going to sit here and drink these all night long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits