mtbr member

Think I got a problem?

Because I spent the day thinking about the order in which I would drink the variety of beers I'm having tonight? It's mostly an IPA fest, but here's the order I settled on:

1. Big Sky's Cowboy Coffee Porter. If you like coffee beers, I recommend this one. Cheap. Found in sixers. Has a breakfast stout quality. Not as good as the great beers in its class, but really good. I'm starting with this to get the coffee buzz going
    2. Caldera IPA. Canned. This is a nice IPA. I've had it many times, so I'm using it to cleanse the palate and transition into some of the IPA's coming that I've never had before.
    3. Hop Valley IPA. Never had this one before. Looking forward to it since it's somewhat local to me.
    4. Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Never had it. I kind of gave up on SN beers years ago, but I tried their rye beer and loved it so I'm giving this IPA a shot.
    5. Unita Hop Notch IPA. Another I've had before. Really like it. Nice way to end things.

Anybody else spend too much time thinking about the order of things? I know you beer tasting guys probably geek out on what to have with your friends and food and when.
    Last edited by Slow Danger; 04-13-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    I don't think you have a problem. But then again, I don't think about the order of how I will consume my beer or what it goes best with food wise. I just enjoy the beer.

My problem is I cruise this forum and then I want to have a few beers. Is that really a problem??? Who the hell knows...

And about Uinta Hop Notch...that stuff is really good.

Enjoy your beers...

Cheers!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Lately I've been spending a lot of time thinking about my beer collection, what to keep cellared and for how long, what to add to the cellar, what's coming out in the next while, etc. I have a spreadsheet of my cellar that I look at and tend to regularly. The more time you spend thinking about beer in ways other than just drinking it, the healthier your hobby will be I think! Though harder to explain to friends and family...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    My real problem turned out to be I ran out of beer.

Beer Please!
    I think most places get it wrong when they start you on "lighter" color beers and do the "darker" color beers last.

IMO it should go from Malty to Hoppy since the hoppier a beer the more it will change your palette, and require more food/water in-between styles to cleanse everything.

Of course when I do most beer shares we tend to stick to one style for the night if possible.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I think most places get it wrong when they start you on "lighter" color beers and do the "darker" color beers last.

IMO it should go from Malty to Hoppy since the hoppier a beer the more it will change your palette, and require more food/water in-between styles to cleanse everything.

Of course when I do most beer shares we tend to stick to one style for the night if possible.
    I'm not smart enough to figure out which IPAs are going to be "maltier" than others just by looking at the bottle. Got any hints for what I should be looking for? Malty IPAs tend to be easier on the palate, so I would prefer to start there and go hoppy as the evening progressed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Think I got a problem?

Best bet is to just check beeradvocate or ratebeer and see what they tend to say about it. Or lower IBU beers generally before higher IBU ones.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    I'm not smart enough to figure out which IPAs are going to be "maltier" than others just by looking at the bottle. Got any hints for what I should be looking for? Malty IPAs tend to be easier on the palate, so I would prefer to start there and go hoppy as the evening progressed.
    As boy scout said, Ratebeer/beeradvocate reviews will tell you a lot if you are interested as well as IBU profile.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts