Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Is there anything that isn't IPA or a gimmick out there?

I'm a Brit now living in the USA and I want to buy beer that is beer. The American version(s) of IPA are way over-hopped compared to the original IPAs and just too bitter for me to enjoy them. Almost everything else I find has some food product or vegetable added to it for no good reason. Other than that, I have the lagers that are leaving me with no taste and wind.
    The stock 'bitter' that the Brits drink as a standard doesn't seem to have made it over here in brewing terms. Or has it? I don't want pumpkin or bourbon casks or ginger or coffee or chili or 9%. Give me 4% with flavour. Is there anything out there?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Lots of Amber beers on the market right now, especially with the fall seasonals being released. You might try one of those.

I kind of understand where you're coming from. I love a solid American IPA, but I think there's a trend now where a lot of breweries just make an IPA as hoppy as possible while completely ignoring the malt characteristics to balance out the bitter.

We are fortunate enough to have a brewery in our town (St. Boniface Brewing) that makes a fantastic bitter and a fantastic ESB. They also happen to make a great IPA that isn't overkilled too.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Where do you live, TooTall? Makes a difference...

Sockaholic
    Oct 2005

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm in Richmond VA with a swathe of local breweries - all doing 'quirky' and 'flavorful' crap. A couple of them are doing a 'session beer' at about 4%, but only once a year!

Hillbilly
    People want flavor in their beer but they complain when ingredients are added for more complex flavoring. **** doesn't make any sense whatsoever....

Afric Pepperbird
    Lots of craft brewers make tasty, low ABV Bitters.

Come to Bend and try Deschutes Bachelor Bitter. You'll be a convert!

Your problem is that you're in Richmond, Va. You need to be in a real craft beer state!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I'd say, Goose Island Honkers Ale. Pretty good for what sounds like your looking for.

-jc

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stokes View Post
    People want flavor in their beer but they complain when ingredients are added for more complex flavoring. **** doesn't make any sense whatsoever....

I guess I'm just used to brewers who can make something with depth, taste and character without raiding the pantry for the cake ingredients. Putting chili and other random **** in beer doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Having 2000 breweries all making bitters doesn't make any sense either. The beauty of the new beer scene is that you can find something that will match almost any taste. There are quite a few American Pale Ales, English style pale ales, English style bitters, browns, ambers, stock ales, steam beers, etc that should suit you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

I find New Belgium Shift has a decent amount of flavor for it being 5%. My only beef with it is Only comes in cans.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kopish View Post
    Having 2000 breweries all making bitters doesn't make any sense either.
    Yet every single brewery does an over-hopped IPA. How's that work then?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    Yet every single brewery does an over-hopped IPA. How's that work then?
    It works because the American market loves hoppy American IPAs. The good thing about the American beer market is you really can find whatever you want. Try American Pale Ales until you find one with the right flavor and IBUs for you, they are out there everywhere in every taste preference imaginable. Litte doubt that American micros are now the best in the world by a large margin, and so diverse that you find whatever excellent beer style you want. Yes, strong and flavorful IPAs are in abundance, because the market for them is large and growing in the US. That doesn't mean you have to like them, go drink something else, there are thousands of options.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Belgian duble, triple and quads, imperial stouts, oak aged imperial stouts, oak aged belgian ales, belgian dark ales, belgian strong ales.

That's all you need to know.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    That doesn't mean you have to like them, go drink something else, there are thousands of options.
    This is my point. I am having trouble finding anything that isn't IPA or a gimmick. I am looking and drinking and trying as I go.

As far as all of Jayem's suggestions go - I grew up drinking imported Belgian beers as well as British beer, so I know the delights of that world. However, I don't want to drink 9% beer all the time. The pursuit of stronger flavours keeps driving the ABV up because it is easier to brew like that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Belgian duble, triple and quads, imperial stouts, oak aged imperial stouts, oak aged belgian ales, belgian dark ales, belgian strong ales.

That's all you need to know.
    Lest we forget the Saison!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I guess I'm just used to brewers who can make something with depth, taste and character without raiding the pantry for the cake ingredients...
    Amen. I enjoy a big IPA, but I had a Mammoth 395 IPA on my Sierra Cascades tour this summer, and the sage and juniper berries just roached it. Ditto, BTW for Hangar 24's double IPA, cloyingly sweetened with "local orange blossom honey."

Maybe the problem isn't so much the experimentation as much as some "divergent" palates among some craft brewers. Mikkeller is plenty experimental, I haven't tasted a single one of their beers that's out of whack.

mtbr member
    There are plenty of English-style bitters out there, but you might have to find a beer store with a huge selection to find them.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    i don't understand you Brits, why would you want a beer with lower alcohol, its less cost effective..

There is a place in Denver that just brews English style beers, to me they all lack flavor and you spend a bunch of $$ catching a buzz because they are so low alcohol..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Beer Please!
    I'm a Brit now living in the USA and I want to buy beer that is beer. The American version(s) of IPA are way over-hopped compared to the original IPAs and just too bitter for me to enjoy them. Almost everything else I find has some food product or vegetable added to it for no good reason. Other than that, I have the lagers that are leaving me with no taste and wind.
    The stock 'bitter' that the Brits drink as a standard doesn't seem to have made it over here in brewing terms. Or has it? I don't want pumpkin or bourbon casks or ginger or coffee or chili or 9%. Give me 4% with flavour. Is there anything out there?
    What was your go to English made Beer? I know here on the West Coast many bottle shops have a great Selection of imported British beers.

You might be able to find what you are looking for at your local bottle shop.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    i don't understand you Brits, why would you want a beer with lower alcohol, its less cost effective..

There is a place in Denver that just brews English style beers, to me they all lack flavor and you spend a bunch of $$ catching a buzz because they are so low alcohol..
    Nothing better than some high abv brew's to end a ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

What are the names of the beers you used to drink? So far all we know is bitter Brit beer. Maybe if we can know what you were drinking we could help you find something here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    I don't drink to get drunk. I left that behind aged 17.

I am trying not to just buy imported beers. I want to support local brewers here and drink local beers. My UK beers were Tetley Bitter, Greene King IPA, Theakstons Bitter, Badger Golden Champion, Bath Ales Gem to name a few. I was lucky enough to have lived in the South West for 4 years and developed a taste for real cider and the great variations fermenting apple juice can bring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    LOL that's why my boss drinks budlight aka piss water. Likes to drink all day and not get too f'd up. Silly rabbit.

You should try Lagunitas Imperial Stout

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    I am trying not to just buy imported beers. I want to support local brewers here and drink local beers.
    Good on you for wanting to drink local, and that's why I asked where you lived. I can tell you that if you were here in Seattle, you'd have no problem at all finding the type of beer you're missing. There are at least three breweries I can think of locally that specialize in traditional English-style ales, and a lot of pubs have beer engines around here. (Lots of cider, too.) Hopefully, some VA and/or mid-Atlantic peeps can chime in and point you towards something local.

That being said, dude...you may just have to adapt a tiny, tiny bit. Nothing is going to taste exactly the same as your olde regular -- that's the beauty of local craft beer. Not saying you have to learn to love every crazy uber-IBU high-grav brew out there; but I'm getting the sense that your nostalgia is going to keep you from trying something new that you might like...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast