Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Thanksgiving beer.

What are y'all drinking on Thanksgiving? I may drink the fractional Lagunitas IPA during the day whilst I'm cooking, but I'm contemplating what I will pair with the meal itself. The Thanksgiving meal has such big flavors--sage, thyme, rosemary--that I don't know if I want such a big beer too.

turtles make me hot
    I'll be enjoying a couple of Blue Point Ales with my turducken.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I'll be enjoying a couple of Blue Point Ales with my turducken.
    Ah, my goal is to have the turducken before I die. Are you making your own, or having one shipped to you?

Afric Pepperbird
    How the hell do I know??!! It's still more than a week away!

My possibilities are endless.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Ah, my goal is to have the turducken before I die. Are you making your own, or having one shipped to you?
    We buy it from cajungrocer.com. Just buy the turducken... Don't bother with their stuffing. Make your own.
    The turducken is absolutely awesome.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    We buy it from cajungrocer.com. Just buy the turducken... Don't bother with their stuffing. Make your own.
    The turducken is absolutely awesome.
    Oh, thanks. I know about cajun grocer. I've done the research, but I haven't made it happen yet because family has been visiting the last few years, and people get pretty traditional about the Thanksgiving meal. Maybe I'll go crazy and get one for New Year's.

I lived down South for a few years, and I got introduced to cajun-injected deep fried turkey down there. After having fried turkey, I don't think a bird should be done any other way. But family likes roasted bird.

My cousin works the bottle line at SouthernTier, so he always brings a couple cases of factory rejects that didn't fill to spec over to my folk's house for Turkey Day Probably some Pumking, Old Man Winter, and Iniquity if I were to guess. More than likely, my dad will cook up a Trash Can Turkey, in true redneck fashion. TheTrashCanTurkey.com

turtles make me hot
    That looks AWESOME... How I spent my entire life in New York is beyond my wife... I belong in the south.
    I think a Blackened Voodoo would go perfectly with that trashcan turkey.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If I could only get a growler of 4 Peaks Pumpkin Porter...

Best damn fall beer I've ever had.

Beer Me!
    Simple awnser... Lot's

The major beer I am going to pull out is a 2 year old "Life and Limb" collaboration from dogfish and sierra.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Some sort of pumpkin/pumpkin spiced brew, and home-brewed cider most likely.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Probably some Punk, if I'm stuck on a pumpkin jag.
    More likely some big dark Belgians.

Not sure what we're doing for the Big Meal, as my mom recently had a stroke and is on "soft food".

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    For the meal itself I tend to reach for a Sam Adams Lager. I know there are way better beers but this one brings back memories of large holiday gatherings at my grandmothers.

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    I usually go with big higher gravity ales for T-day.

I'll start with a Le Greg Lemond, I mean Le Fin du Monde before eating cause it doesn't fill me up too much.

Generally move on to a Westmalle Dubbel or Chimay during the feast, then switch up to a Lost Abbey Angel's Share with dessert.

Sometimes end it all with a nice 16 year old single malt from Oban.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    I just picked up Ommegamg Art of Darkness, Mystic Descendant Suffolk Dark Ale, Allagash Belgian Stout. Not sure exactly when they'll be flowing, but they will.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'll probably have a Dogfish Head Punkin, because my father in law keeps them around this time of year and they are excellent with the butternut squash empanadas that we plan to serve as appetizers. We accidentally discovered that pairing at my sons first birthday party in late September and it was pretty amazing. For the main course we will be starting with J sparkling wine and then moving on to Davis Bynum Pinot Noir.

I fully support brianW's choice of Sam Adams Boston Lager. I still grab one every now and again for similar reasons: it reminds me of a great time in my life and still tastes pretty darn good even though there are many bolder options out there now.

Sorry to hear about your mom, RRRoubaix, and hope she makes a full recovery.

turtles make me hot
    Sam Adams rocks my house as well.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I have a well stocked cellar to choose from at the moment, I may go for my Stone Imperial Russian Stout or break out the La Finde du Monde. Or there are a couple of IPAs still left from summer that would fit the bill. Mind you, the local selection of craft beer is pretty limited and hence the price is even steeper than normal.

Maybe I could go full-on local though and chug Bud Light until the turkey walks again...

All I know is that I have to deal with my wife's crazy family so I will be drinking. Copiously. Repeatedly.

I hate sugar sand.
    Nov 2007
    My wife is working this Thanksgiving, so I think I'll just drink beer and eat pizza while watching Rocky 4. I'm thinking Aventinus Eisbock and maybe St Bernardus Christmas Ale.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by DoinkMobb View Post
    My wife is working this Thanksgiving, so I think I'll just drink beer and eat pizza while watching Rocky 4. I'm thinking Aventinus Eisbock and maybe St Bernardus Christmas Ale.
    Rocky 4?? Really??
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Morgan Street Brewery (St. Louis) Black Bear, now in cans!!! For Thanksgiving Day.

mtbr member
    Rocky 4?? Really??
    You got a problem with the greatest montage of all time?

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    I'm thinking a DogFish Head 120 or WW stout. REALLY great stuff. This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for the usuals ect.. snore,,, and Sam. San Adams and Sam Calgione (DFH guru). "A votre saunte", "to your health"

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Harpoon Grateful Harvest Cranberry Ale. I would never drink this except on Turkey Day! That, and some of my homebrewed hard cider.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm sure I'll be cracking a bottle of New Glarus Serendipty sometime during the day. A great new beer for the season.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast