Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Hi.
    I had a long weekend of drinking excellent beer. It started with leaving work at lunch on Wednesday (yay for 1/2 days!) and making a routine stop at a local bottle shop. To my surprise, they had put Stone's Enjoy By 12-21-12 IPA on the shelf. So I picked one up.

Definitely one of the best beers produced by Stone. Tons of fruity, floral hops without overpowering bitterness, and easy to drink at over 9%.

Hops bill: Calypso, Super Galena, Simcoe, Delta, Target, Amarillo, Motueka, Citra, Cascade, New Zealand Nelson Sauvin, and Australian Galaxy

Awesome stuff.

Next up was Thanksgiving Day, celebrated with the following:

All were very tasty brews. The 75 minute is a great beer with a creamy mouthfeel and really nice subtle maple hint. After drinking Treat and Brewtality, I could really taste Midnight Sun's house yeast flavor coming through.

Friday we went out after the crowds had died down to grab some food and see a movie (Skyfall.) We hit The Yard House for food where I had a Stone Ruination (not nearly as good as Enjoy By) and a Old Rasputin on nitro:

The Yard House happy hour didn't disappoint, and neither did 007.

Saturday we hung with the family some more and went wine tasting on our way to the coast for dinner. We made time to stop by the Bay Area's new hot brewery, Sante Adairius Rustic Ales. Carl Hungus is a huge fan of this brewery and has been trying to get me to go there, and I finally did! It's located in Capitola, just south of Santa Cruz.

Sante Adairius recently won the People's Choice award at a local, very popular Barrel Aged Beer Festival at The Bistro in Hayward. And let me be the first to tell you - they totally lived up to the accolades.

They have a small, well-decorated and furnished tasting area in the front part of their brewery. They were quite busy, so I didn't ask to take a look at the brewhouse, but next time I'll see if I can sneak a peek. I heard they just got a big foeder in house that they were working on swelling, which they will eventually use for their house saison base.

We sat down to try the only 2 beers they had on tap, a 100% Citra pale ale and their porter. The Citra was light, mildly bitter with a nice citrus finish. The porter was amazing - rich, creamy mouthfeel with a really nice roasted malt and caramel backbone. Not too bitter, which I find to be undesirable in many porters.

The star of the day was their West Ashley - a brett saison brewed with Apricots. I cannot describe this beer other than to say that it's less sour and more cohesive than Cascade's Apricot sour, and way fruitier and more flavorful than Cantillon's Fou Foune. They didn't label the bottles yet, so it was $15 for a 750ml for in-house consumption, and worth every penny. The pic below shows 2 glasses of the West Ashley and one each of the others.

I also picked up a bottle of their Belgian Imperial Stout aged in syrah barrels with boysenberries added.

Sante Adairius is a winner. If they continue crafting beer at the same level, they will quickly become my favorite brewery.

Lastly, I attended a large bottle share at a local bar called Grape and Grain. Lots of BeerAdvocate guys there sharing good, rare, and hard to obtain beers. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

Highlights included: RR Consecration Batch 3, 2009 and 2012 Lost Abbey Cuvee de Tomme, Cantillon Iris, Fou Foune, Mammouche and Saint Lamvinus, Fifty Fifty Annularity, New Holland Night Tripper, Weyerbacher Riserva (Thanks JFryauff!), Midnight Sun Berserker and Kern River Just Outstanding from a growler.

After this long weekend, I am thankful for good beer.

Beer Me!
    ^^^ Solid Sir, well played indeed!
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Broke out some left over Troegs Nugget Nectars for the day, always a crowd favorite with my family!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    I had a long weekend of drinking excellent beer. It started with leaving work at lunch on Wednesday (yay for 1/2 days!) and making a routine stop at a local bottle shop. To my surprise, they had put Stone's Enjoy By 12-21-12 IPA on the shelf. So I picked one up.

Definitely one of the best beers produced by Stone. Tons of fruity, floral hops without overpowering bitterness, and easy to drink at over 9%.

Hops bill: Calypso, Super Galena, Simcoe, Delta, Target, Amarillo, Motueka, Citra, Cascade, New Zealand Nelson Sauvin, and Australian Galaxy

Awesome stuff.

Next up was Thanksgiving Day, celebrated with the following:

All were very tasty brews. The 75 minute is a great beer with a creamy mouthfeel and really nice subtle maple hint. After drinking Treat and Brewtality, I could really taste Midnight Sun's house yeast flavor coming through.
    Hhhmmm, I never knew there was actually a beer called Brewtality. I must try it!!
    I've had several other brews from Midnight Sun and great enjoyed all of them.

I have a Stone Enjoy By IPA in my fridge. I'm looking forward to trying it out. The friend that gave it to me reported "better than Pliny. Good mouthfeel, a little maltier, a little more sugar to it".
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Hhhmmm, I never knew there was actually a beer called Brewtality. I must try it!!
    I've had several other brews from Midnight Sun and great enjoyed all of them.

I have a Stone Enjoy By IPA in my fridge. I'm looking forward to trying it out. The friend that gave it to me reported "better than Pliny. Good mouthfeel, a little maltier, a little more sugar to it".
    Yeah it's a solid beer. They label it as a dark lager with espresso; something like a schwarzbier. Pretty high ABV and lots of espresso flavor.

The Enjoy By is a great beer - top 2 IPAs (with Ruination 10th) from Stone in my book. Not sure if it's a Pliny killer, but it very well may be. Reminds me a lot of Alpine beers. I've had 2 bottles since it was released and a glass on tap tonight. Great stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    I had a long weekend of drinking excellent beer...
    I'll say. Glad you enjoyed your visit to SARA. Next time you're back definitely check out the brewhouse. They have seating back there now, right next to the fouder actually. Oh man, I could on and on about this place and the beers and what great people they are.

West Ashley, is one of my favorites from them. They had it on draft a few months ago and it was great but it's even better in the bottle. Funny thing is, you could come back in a month and it will taste differently. That's the thing with their beers...you're almost participating in an experiment with them and I mean it in a good way. On the one hand, it makes you marvel at the consistency of a Russian River and their sour program but on the other it's very exciting to be drinking a beer that is so dynamic and ever changing.

Glad to see everyone had a great Thanksgiving. We were down in L.A. and hit up a few beery places...Hollister Brewery/Goleta, Bruery Provisions/Orange, Tony's Darts Away/Burbank, Golden Road Brewery/Glendale and Lucky Baldwins/Pasadena. Had some good stuff but nothing too epic. Found a couple Anchor Our Special's from 2011 in my in-laws fridge from last Thanksgiving so that was kinda funny.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3