mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Temporarily in weight loss mode...low calorie beers?...

...that taste good? I normally drink ale's and stuff like Kilkenner, Smithwicks, Guiness etc, but they are not low in calories iirc. I drink Moosehead Cracked Canoe in restaurants, but I wonder what the lowest calorie beers are that still taste good. I haven't tried Molson 67, but is it worth bothering with? Anything else?

I'm your density
    Stone Levitation Ale is only 145 cals.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    — Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I was thinking the same thing recently. I sinced just decided to cut back to only a few days a week and the amount that day instead of drinking beers like Bud light or Miller Light. I'd rather not even drink beer instead of that sh!t.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The fact is that drinking beer WILL make you fat, no matter which brand. A beer is a beer. Its carbs.

IMO the best beer for a "healthy" living is the Guiness Stout. It has a reasonable amount of carbs and calories. And taste so good.

I drink wine now and if I have to have a beer, its a Guiness but that happens maybe once or twice a year.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    ...that taste good? I normally drink ale's and stuff like Kilkenner, Smithwicks, Guiness etc, but they are not low in calories iirc. I drink Moosehead Cracked Canoe in restaurants, but I wonder what the lowest calorie beers are that still taste good. I haven't tried Molson 67, but is it worth bothering with? Anything else?
    Calories in Beer, Beer Alcohol, Beer Carbohydrates.

Guinness is only 126 calories for 12oz, why on earth would anyone go for a "light beer" to only save 20 calories?
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    I went through a phase where I tried to cut sugars and calories while drinking beer. A bad phase. I used to find websites that listed calories and ABV. Then tried to find beers that had the best carbs to calorie to ABV. Don't get too caught up in calorie counts when it comes to beer. Low calorie generally means low alcohol. And low flavor. A tasty beer with an 8% ABV can often mean fewer calories than having two 4% ABV flavorless beers. Guinness is actually one of the best calories to carbs to ABV beers out there. If I remember right, Guiness Draught in the bottle comes in at 126 calories and about 5.0% ABV. I would double-check that though.

Lastly, food diet is a much better way to deal with caloric intake. If you're trying to get drunk, and alcohol is made possible by sugars, then you're going to wind up in the same ballpark to get you drunk on no matter what.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    If you're super serious about shedding some pounds...don't drink. Not helpful, but true.

Although...I have an average of 3-4 beers a week, of any style I desire, but I bust my ass 6-7 days a week cycling/weight training.
    That along with a decent, but not absurd dietary regimen (Paleo-esq for example), I can drop 10-15 lbs in a month.

All depends on how bad you want to work for it
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Lite beer (for me) requires me to drink more to obtain the same buze...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Try staying away from Beer if you want to lose weight. Attain the weight you want and then have all the beer you want while busting your ass of bike or gym after that to keep the beer handles out!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    one other thing to mention which is just good beer drinking (and dieting) skills in general is to drink your beers warmer. a guiness at close to room temperature tastes soo much better and is more filling.

don't quote me on this because i haven't looked into calories, but basically drier beers have less residual sugars that weren't turned into alcohol. a lot of high gravity belgians finish really low, as do saisons, sours and a bunch of others.

stay away from any milk, oatmeal, bfast etc. stout, porters, brown ales, and some IPAs. and stick to dry stouts like guiness or murphys. i know yuengling and sam adams both make their lagers in a light variety but i have never tried them nor do i care too. i had a few amstel lights a while ago and it was actually pretty good. nothing i would go out and buy, but if your serious about losing weight and keeping drinking its worth a shot

warm water is surprisingly filling as well. much more so than cold i have found.

mtbr member
    You should be able to have a beer or two a day and still be able to loose weight at a moderate pace. You are far more likely to stay on a diet if you don't totally deprive yourself. I would much rather have a few extra beer calories than cookies, ice cream, baked stuff or anything else.

Some of the summer seasonals are pretty light, but Guinness is the best bet for low cal at 125. I tend to gulp down a beer after a ride regardless of what it is. Easy to replace with water or a light beer if necessary and then go savor the good stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Good advice all around, but I forgot some context. It will change the advice. I don't drink often at all. I don't drink regularly. I was planning to stay away from beer for the most part, going a week or two without beer, but, then a friend will ask me to go out for a beer, so, rather than declining, I'd rather have a good option. If Guiness is a decently, not overly high calorie drink, then I could just stick with that. It's my go to beer (or stout...I know it's not really beer). I drink Guiness more than anything else.

mtbr member
    Good advice all around, but I forgot some context. It will change the advice. I don't drink often at all. I don't drink regularly. I was planning to stay away from beer for the most part, going a week or two without beer, but, then a friend will ask me to go out for a beer, so, rather than declining, I'd rather have a good option. If Guiness is a decently, not overly high calorie drink, then I could just stick with that. It's my go to beer (or stout...I know it's not really beer). I drink Guiness more than anything else.
    If you are talking a beer or two every couple of weeks, then it doesn't much matter what you drink. We're talking maybe 100 calories savings over the course of two weeks by choosing a 90 calorie beer over something you like. You can make up for that by riding your bike around the block a couple of times on your way home from the bar.

Rogue Exterminator
    The few calories saved in a low calorie beer is not going to help.
    Light beer and low calorie beer is just a marketing ploy to make you think it is ok to drink those if you are on a diet.

If you are serious about cutting up, then do not drink alcohol of any type as the alcohol will inhibit the weight loss more then the calories.

PRETENDURO
    No, dude. Just ride more. Lots more. Why should you have to do without? Barleywine, IPA, Russian-style stouts, porters, etc… beer without beer, is, well, just not beer. Oh, and beer is a great recovery drink after a ride. A few the night before a ride helps you build up decent anaerobic efficiency potential, just like the guys who train for marathons at 8,000+ feet up in the highlands of Muranga in Kenya, but with the added benefits of a hangover. 3 22-ouncers the night before a training ride isn’t as bad an idea as it seems at first glance.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Guinness is only 126 calories for 12oz, why on earth would anyone go for a "light beer" to only save 20 calories?
    Excellent suggestion and to add to it... Guinness fills you up quicker so there is less of a desire to drink more. Its like a "high fiber" light beer.

For me I still have my sub 35year old metabolism but I also make calorie choices to justify beer. For example I am not a big sweets guy, so its much easier for me to skip dessert/candy/soda/juice and drink a beer instead. I also only eat vegetarian at home and splurge on meat a few times a week when I eat out; thus less fat.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    For some reason, I found I like Michelob Ultra. 95 cals and 2.6g of carbs, baby. Says so on the bottle. I guess I like that light, subtle flavor of it.

I know, disappoint.

The Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    For some reason, I found I like Michelob Ultra. 95 cals and 2.6g of carbs, baby. Says so on the bottle. I guess I like that light, subtle flavor of it.

I know, disappoint.
    You sound a little girlish, bro. You had to put the "I like that light, subtle flavor" in there, too, didn't you?

Happy Trails
    Sam Adams Light.

That is all.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    Stone Levitation Ale is only 145 cals.
    and taste great

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by LandSpeed View Post
    You sound a little girlish, bro. You had to put the "I like that light, subtle flavor" in there, too, didn't you?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah I tried the Bud Select 55 and Mich Ultra so save a few cals. Just went with a few Guinness and called it day..