mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Tallgrass buffalo sweat stout?

i got lazy and didn't want an all grain brew day, so ordered a partial mash kit from NB. i've been doing lots of ipa and pale ales, felt like a nice stout for some reason. my preferences seem to shift every couple of years. I've never tried one of these, any thoughts? supposedly has oatmeal and chocolate, and a little lactose for sweetness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    No love from Kansas?? Can't be that bad with chocolate n oats.

mtbr member
    It's an interesting beer, complex. Lots going on taste wise.

I live 2 hours from the brewery and the first time I ever had it was at a bar outside of DC in Virginia!

I recommend it if your're in to different beers. If you're a BL kind of person, steer clear!
    www.getbusylivin.org
    http://www.prairiefireapparel.com

Guardian 2.0
    Redline Monocog Flight 29er SS (for now)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Tallgrass buffalo sweat stout?

Quote Originally Posted by Hophead1 View Post
    i got lazy and didn't want an all grain brew day, so ordered a partial mash kit from NB. i've been doing lots of ipa and pale ales, felt like a nice stout for some reason. my preferences seem to shift every couple of years. I've never tried one of these, any thoughts? supposedly has oatmeal and chocolate, and a little lactose for sweetness.
    I live in KC. Great brewery. Great beer. Owner is a really cool guy. I think they struggle a bit locally as the craft beer scene isn't big here.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    I'll just echo what's been said already...it's a very solid beer, from a great brewery. It really surprised me the first time I had it.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Hillbilly
    Awful beer.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by _Stokes View Post
    Awful beer.
    Great review!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Hillbilly
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Great review!
    Glad you like. Subscribe to my blog.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Glad you like. Subscribe to my blog.
    No.

Hillbilly
    No.
    LOL, I noticed you left negative feedback on my 'Rep'. In response to your comment, I am 30 years old and I do not care about post count, nor do I care about my 'Rep'.

Not sure why you would care about my opinion on Buffalo Sweat, it's one of the worst craft beers I've ever tried.

Hillbilly
    I'll just echo what's been said already...it's a very solid beer, from a great brewery. It really surprised me the first time I had it.
    Nevermind. I see why you're upset with me, you enjoy below average beers and am surprised by them.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    LOL, I noticed you left negative feedback on my 'Rep'. In response to your comment, I am 30 years old and I do not care about post count, nor do I care about my 'Rep'.
    I hope you noticed...I did sign it after all
    Not sure why you would care about my opinion on Buffalo Sweat, it's one of the worst craft beers I've ever tried.
    When someone poses a question (as the OP did), and asks for opinions on said question, then you choose to respond to said question with a very short/brash comment...well, it begs explanation. I am not saying you're opinion is right or wrong, but it's more of a common courtesy thing I guess.
    That, and given how many people jump into the beer forums on a weekly basis, simply to expedite their 10 post count with udder uselessness...then seeing as it was your first, we'll.
    If you care to discuss further, take it to PM, so as to not muddy this post.
    Cheers,
    Josh

Hillbilly
    I hope you noticed...I did sign it after all

When someone poses a question (as the OP did), and asks for opinions on said question, then you choose to respond to said question with a very short/brash comment...well, it begs explanation. I am not saying you're opinion is right or wrong, but it's more of a common courtesy thing I guess.
    That, and given how many people jump into the beer forums on a weekly basis, simply to expedite their 10 post count with udder uselessness...then seeing as it was your first, we'll.
    If you care to discuss further, take it to PM, so as to not muddy this post.
    Cheers,
    Josh
    I said it's an awful beer. What further elaboration could anyone possibly need? TGBS is a lazy excuse for a stout, way too sweet and there isn't any complexity to it whatsoever, which is a shame, given that stouts are supposed to be some one of the more complex styles out there. I can make a better stout and I've been brewing for less than 6 months. Furthermore, I posted in this subforum because I was surporised that there was a beer forum on this site.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    TGBS is a lazy excuse for a stout, way too sweet and there isn't any complexity to it whatsoever, which is a shame, given that stouts are supposed to be some one of the more complex styles out there.
    That wasn't so hard, now was it.
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    interesting to hear. I think, based on the description, this beer is supposed to be smooth with chocolate and oats, not like strong roast or coffee. I like a lot of different stouts, the light ones, smooth ones and sometimes bolder. I do not like Rasputen. the lactose in the kit is separate from the other ingredients so i will be able to add as much or as little as i want. I don't like it too sweet. i've considered hopping it up a little to help balance the sweetness. would any of you say this is a malty beer, thick and chewy or lighter in body.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    would any of you say this is a malty beer, thick and chewy or lighter in body.
    Not overly malty or chewing at all. The majority of the sweetness comes from the Lactose for sure.
    If you wanted up the mouth-feel, and complexity, you could add a bit more oats...and maybe even some more specialty malt (Munich, Crystal40, Etc.). You could add half the Lactose at the end of the boil, and taste during fermentation. If you feel it's just sweet enough, don't bother with the rest, if you'd like a bit more you can add it to bottling/kegging.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    im definitely going to to cut the lactose in half. i have some leftover crystal i could add. actually i've got some roasted barley and chocolate malts in the beer fridge too. a few ounces each i need to do something with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Finally made this beer last month. Based on above comments I added an extra half oz of hops 5 min before flameout to balance the malts. Cut the lactose in half. Just enough sweetness to finish smooth. Very pleased with results. Smooth, choclatety, nice mild hop coolness, almost a slight mint. I don't find it lacking in complexity, it's got enough going on to be very tasty and interesting. I'd do it again

mtbr member

Tallgrass buffalo sweat stout?

How do they harvest the buffalo sweat. It would be easier to harvest buffalo pies. Probably taste just as good.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT