Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

stout recommendations?

Anyone have a favorite stout they'd recommend? I've been experimenting with ipa and could use a break for the hops overload haha.

Thanks gents!
    Rob

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I love Founders Breakfast Stout comes in a 4 pack cuz of high abv but the rich dark chocolate and coffee flavors cover that up. Or a local brewery here on long island called Blue Point brewery makes a Sour Cherry Imperial Stout. Also high abv but hidden well and only avail. in bombers. Sounds strange I know but its delicious, like a dark chocolate cherry in a 22oz. bottle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thank imperial cherry sounds really good! Im going to have to look for both you mentioned.

Outlaw
    Out of Portsmouth N.H. is Smuttynose Imperial Stout. Out of Deerfield MA in Berkshire Brewing Brewing Company's Imperial Stout. Both only in 22s. Colorado's Great Divide Brewing, Yeti (4 pack?) and the Oak Aged Yeti (22s) Stouts are both tasty.

I do say though, this time of year you should be able to find some nice locally made Bock or Stout. Check out Beer Advocate to locate some stuff near you.

Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Will do Joe. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Bell's Brewery makes a Java Stout that is probably the best beer I've ever had...EVER. Everyone I've introduced to it has been as impressed with it as I have been. It sells locally here for about $15 a six pack; but I figure I pay far more than that if I go to a bar and IMO it's worth it.

Bell's Beer :: Brands :: Java Stout

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Look to North Coast.

For a stout, try the Old No. 38. For a Russian Imperial Stout, try Old Rasputin.

Also, if you're looking for a break from lots of hops and something from the sweeter end of the malt spectrum, grab some Salvatore Doppelbock.

troll
    You can never go wrong with Ten Fiddy... and it comes in a can so it's easy to take with you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks guys I'm going to give all the stouts a try so long as I can find them. On the dopplebock, im not the biggest fan. Im sure I just need to find the right one for me

troll
    I remember going through a phase where I was getting bored of crazy hops and bitterness and just super high-alcohol beers in general, and exploring the world of fine German dopplebocks was just the thing to pull me out of it. Here's a few of my favorite doppels:

Ayinger Celebrator
    Augustiner Maximator
    Bell's Consecrator
    Spaten Optimator

and yes, there's a reason why all those names are similar!

What about a good German dark lager as a compromise? I'm a big fan of Kostritzer, especially if I can find it on draft.

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Second on the Founders Breakfast Stout ....... CRAZY GOOD !!! Sweetwater, Happy Ending is a strong showing as well but the Founders is off the charts.

I had a chocolate oak aged yeti recently that was pretty sublime. I've got an espresso oak aged yeti for my next. Old Rasputin was good. Most of the recent stouts I've had have been local limited release available on tap at the brewery only, though. Those are always good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm going to go broke at bevmo today! Broke bike I would be very interested in trying a nice dark lager. But I'm in the trend which you described, I'm just a little tired of hoppy. As Good as they are, there are just so many other flavors to try!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am a big fan of Young's Double Chocolate stout. There are a few local stouts that are good, but I don't know that they are available outside of Utah. Rooster's chocolate stout and the Kona Stout from Desert Edge come to mind.
    Check your local microbreweries for their selection.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Samuel Smith's has a chocolate stout out right now. A good british ale is a welcome change if you're looking to take a detour from the west coast style hops for a bit.

mtbr member
    Bridgeport Chocolate Cherry Stout. Had it last night and enjoyed it. Oregon beer. There are so many great stouts it's hard to choose.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Hi.
    The truth is a double-edged sword. Fortunately for your wallet, most of the beers listed in this thread are unavailable in California. Unfortunately for you, the beers listed are unavailable in California .

As Boognish said, check out North Coast stuff. Old Rasputin and Old 38 are fantastic. I can't remember if Great Divide distributes in SoCal, but if you can find any of the Yeti series, follow Nate's recommendation and pick it up. Also, +1 on the Ten Fidy recommendation...one of the best beers in a can.

If you see any Firestone Walker Parabola at the stores in the next week or two BUY IT. It will take you to the next level, and it sells quickly.

Rogue makes a couple great stouts too that are worth seeking out. And as always, Deschutes Obsidian is the West Coast standard.

Two Headed Boy
    +1 on the Founders Breakfast stout, very, very good!

also +1 on the Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout quite exceptional.

I know these aren't stouts, but they are quite dark.....

I really have been Digging any brews by Mikkeller as of late, but this Porter is just great, if you ever see it grab one, very surprisingly good! They also have a Beer Geek Breakfast thats quite impressive as well.
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Went to two of my local spots, bevmo and a liquor store that stocks good stuff, and was only able to find both northcoast brews (rasputin and old no 38) Let the drinking begin! Im also going to be keeping a look out for what the local brewers have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I strongly suggest trying the Left Hand Milk Stout NITRO. The original was always really good, but the Nitro takes it to another level. A truly world class stout.

newb

Re: stout recommendations?

This stuff is great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stout recommendations?-uploadfromtaptalk1367036226339.jpg  

troll
    If you happen across Avery's Uncle Jacob's Stout, I highly recommend it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I really enjoyed 21st Amendments' "Morooned of Hog Island" stout? This is brewed with oyster shells and has a nice silky, slightly salty finish. One of the best stouts that I have tried.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Old Rasputin is some good stuff! I forgot to mention though If you are looking for an easy to find less exotic stout, you cant go wrong with Sam Adams Cream Stout. Smooth n very drinkable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Reporting back on the 3 stouts I picked up. Both north coast brews were great, no complaints what so ever. I picked up Anderson valley barney flats oatmeal stout and I got to tell you that is one easy drinking stout.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast