Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

stout recommendations?

Anyone have a favorite stout they'd recommend? I've been experimenting with ipa and could use a break for the hops overload haha.

Thanks gents!
    Rob

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I love Founders Breakfast Stout comes in a 4 pack cuz of high abv but the rich dark chocolate and coffee flavors cover that up. Or a local brewery here on long island called Blue Point brewery makes a Sour Cherry Imperial Stout. Also high abv but hidden well and only avail. in bombers. Sounds strange I know but its delicious, like a dark chocolate cherry in a 22oz. bottle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thank imperial cherry sounds really good! Im going to have to look for both you mentioned.

Dirt Bound
    Out of Portsmouth N.H. is Smuttynose Imperial Stout. Out of Deerfield MA in Berkshire Brewing Brewing Company's Imperial Stout. Both only in 22s. Colorado's Great Divide Brewing, Yeti (4 pack?) and the Oak Aged Yeti (22s) Stouts are both tasty.

I do say though, this time of year you should be able to find some nice locally made Bock or Stout. Check out Beer Advocate to locate some stuff near you.

Good Luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Will do Joe. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Bell's Brewery makes a Java Stout that is probably the best beer I've ever had...EVER. Everyone I've introduced to it has been as impressed with it as I have been. It sells locally here for about $15 a six pack; but I figure I pay far more than that if I go to a bar and IMO it's worth it.

Bell's Beer :: Brands :: Java Stout

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Look to North Coast.

For a stout, try the Old No. 38. For a Russian Imperial Stout, try Old Rasputin.

Also, if you're looking for a break from lots of hops and something from the sweeter end of the malt spectrum, grab some Salvatore Doppelbock.

troll
    You can never go wrong with Ten Fiddy... and it comes in a can so it's easy to take with you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks guys I'm going to give all the stouts a try so long as I can find them. On the dopplebock, im not the biggest fan. Im sure I just need to find the right one for me

troll
    I remember going through a phase where I was getting bored of crazy hops and bitterness and just super high-alcohol beers in general, and exploring the world of fine German dopplebocks was just the thing to pull me out of it. Here's a few of my favorite doppels:

Ayinger Celebrator
    Augustiner Maximator
    Bell's Consecrator
    Spaten Optimator

and yes, there's a reason why all those names are similar!

What about a good German dark lager as a compromise? I'm a big fan of Kostritzer, especially if I can find it on draft.

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Second on the Founders Breakfast Stout ....... CRAZY GOOD !!! Sweetwater, Happy Ending is a strong showing as well but the Founders is off the charts.

since 4/10/2009
    I had a chocolate oak aged yeti recently that was pretty sublime. I've got an espresso oak aged yeti for my next. Old Rasputin was good. Most of the recent stouts I've had have been local limited release available on tap at the brewery only, though. Those are always good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm going to go broke at bevmo today! Broke bike I would be very interested in trying a nice dark lager. But I'm in the trend which you described, I'm just a little tired of hoppy. As Good as they are, there are just so many other flavors to try!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am a big fan of Young's Double Chocolate stout. There are a few local stouts that are good, but I don't know that they are available outside of Utah. Rooster's chocolate stout and the Kona Stout from Desert Edge come to mind.
    Check your local microbreweries for their selection.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Samuel Smith's has a chocolate stout out right now. A good british ale is a welcome change if you're looking to take a detour from the west coast style hops for a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Bridgeport Chocolate Cherry Stout. Had it last night and enjoyed it. Oregon beer. There are so many great stouts it's hard to choose.

Hi.
    The truth is a double-edged sword. Fortunately for your wallet, most of the beers listed in this thread are unavailable in California. Unfortunately for you, the beers listed are unavailable in California .

As Boognish said, check out North Coast stuff. Old Rasputin and Old 38 are fantastic. I can't remember if Great Divide distributes in SoCal, but if you can find any of the Yeti series, follow Nate's recommendation and pick it up. Also, +1 on the Ten Fidy recommendation...one of the best beers in a can.

If you see any Firestone Walker Parabola at the stores in the next week or two BUY IT. It will take you to the next level, and it sells quickly.

Rogue makes a couple great stouts too that are worth seeking out. And as always, Deschutes Obsidian is the West Coast standard.

Two Headed Boy
    +1 on the Founders Breakfast stout, very, very good!

also +1 on the Samuel Smith's Chocolate Stout quite exceptional.

I know these aren't stouts, but they are quite dark.....

I really have been Digging any brews by Mikkeller as of late, but this Porter is just great, if you ever see it grab one, very surprisingly good! They also have a Beer Geek Breakfast thats quite impressive as well.
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Went to two of my local spots, bevmo and a liquor store that stocks good stuff, and was only able to find both northcoast brews (rasputin and old no 38) Let the drinking begin! Im also going to be keeping a look out for what the local brewers have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I strongly suggest trying the Left Hand Milk Stout NITRO. The original was always really good, but the Nitro takes it to another level. A truly world class stout.

newb

Re: stout recommendations?

This stuff is great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stout recommendations?-uploadfromtaptalk1367036226339.jpg  

troll
    If you happen across Avery's Uncle Jacob's Stout, I highly recommend it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I really enjoyed 21st Amendments' "Morooned of Hog Island" stout? This is brewed with oyster shells and has a nice silky, slightly salty finish. One of the best stouts that I have tried.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Old Rasputin is some good stuff! I forgot to mention though If you are looking for an easy to find less exotic stout, you cant go wrong with Sam Adams Cream Stout. Smooth n very drinkable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Reporting back on the 3 stouts I picked up. Both north coast brews were great, no complaints what so ever. I picked up Anderson valley barney flats oatmeal stout and I got to tell you that is one easy drinking stout.

Afric Pepperbird
    Wow, 23 posts and nary a mention of the king of stouts...

The Abyss, a seasonal stout crafted by Deschutes Brewing. Notice the BA score.

As expected, the older the vintage, the better.

Name:  Deschutes_Abyss_2011.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  38.2 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If i can find it here you bet i will buy it!

since 4/10/2009

stout recommendations?

Abyss...yeah that one was awesome when I found it...once.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kopish View Post
    I strongly suggest trying the Left Hand Milk Stout NITRO. The original was always really good, but the Nitro takes it to another level. A truly world class stout.
    Had this beer tonight. Great flavor but a little lackluster in the carbonation dept, almost like a Guiness. I like a little fizz in my beer!

troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Air Bud View Post
    Had this beer tonight. Great flavor but a little lackluster in the carbonation dept, almost like a Guiness. I like a little fizz in my beer!
    most dark beers (with the exception of Black IPAs and some black lagers) are typically and characteristically lower in carbonation. Nitro carbing adds smaller, more stable bubbles to the beer which is supposed to result in a creamier head and texture that lasts longer than typical CO2 carbonation. I will admit that the Left Hand Nitro in a bottle doesn't quite taste the same as an actual nitro beer from the tap.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by brokebike View Post
    most dark beers (with the exception of Black IPAs and some black lagers) are typically and characteristically lower in carbonation. Nitro carbing adds smaller, more stable bubbles to the beer which is supposed to result in a creamier head and texture that lasts longer than typical CO2 carbonation. I will admit that the Left Hand Nitro in a bottle doesn't quite taste the same as an actual nitro beer from the tap.
    Yeah it requires a special and aggressive pour, and even then the carb level is low. Still a damn good beer though!

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by vtwin650 View Post
    Went to two of my local spots, bevmo and a liquor store that stocks good stuff, and was only able to find both northcoast brews (rasputin and old no 38) Let the drinking begin! Im also going to be keeping a look out for what the local brewers have.
    Where exactly do you live? As was mentioned your location will determine what you can readily get. You mention BevMo, so I am guessing west coast?

This is my Old Reliable, i get a case every spring:

Technically an Imperial Porter, but def worth checking out if you can find it:

If you are in Florida, or know someone in Florida who can get you a bottle, this stuff is amazing:

This is a winter seasonal, but still a very affordable BA Stout:

Also from Port Brewing, and the new batch was just released a few weeks ago:

If you are from the North East, this beer is pretty good:

This one is fantastic:

Stouts and Porters are my favorite Style of beer, and my Beer Fridge is mostly filled with them.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

Two Headed Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Wow, 23 posts and nary a mention of the king of stouts...

The Abyss, a seasonal stout crafted by Deschutes Brewing. Notice the BA score.

As expected, the older the vintage, the better.

Name:  Deschutes_Abyss_2011.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  38.2 KB
    I have never been able to find one of those, if I do I badly want to give it a spin.
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I live in the Los Angeles area

whatever she says gueuze.
    Hey vtwin650, I'm in LA as well. Your local Bevmo should have alot of good selections. There's alot that was mentioned that aren't readily available here, unfortunately. You can, however, find Yeti, Stone Russian Imp, Alesmith Speedway and maybe Victory at Sea easily. Firestone Parabola is pouring around town these days and you can probably pick one up at Whole Foods. It's one of the best, IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ndinh, I will check whole foods out. The nearest one is in Pasadena. Ill be getting fat on stout and pilsner these next couple a weeks. Guess I need to hit crossfit hard

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    With the Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro, it is all about the creaminess provided by the nitrogen. I also found the pour makes a big difference. You need to stand the bottle upside down and let it chug out. When poured properly you get a delicious, creamy, roasty milk shake. Everything I expected out of Guinness in Ireland but failed to find.

troll
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Bourbon County Stout yet!

whatever she says gueuze.
    Apparently stouts have less cals than ales. Anyways, while you're in pasadena, make a stop at slaters 50/50 and lucky baldwins or the stone bottleshop.

mtbr member
    As mentioned earlier, North Coast's old Rasputin is a solid choice that is available in most markets. My favorite stout ever is Alpine Beer Company's Odin's Raven, a barrel aged RIS. For a company known for it's hops, this beer completely surprises you. Definitely one of San Diego's hidden gems!

I can't believe no one has mentioned Bourbon County Stout yet!
    Not exactly easy to find on the west coast, and considering that Goose Island is no longer technically a Craft Beer, many beer snobs I know are no longer giving them business. All the head brewers jumped ship after the take over for a reason. My hope is that their beers do not suffer in quality, but only time will tell on that.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Not exactly easy to find on the west coast, and considering that Goose Island is no longer technically a Craft Beer, many beer snobs I know are no longer giving them business. All the head brewers jumped ship after the take over for a reason. My hope is that their beers do not suffer in quality, but only time will tell on that.
    Thee beers did not suffer in quality. Anyone who doesn't drink BCBS on principle alone is awesome, because that leaves more for me!

The AB buyout of Goose Island means more BCBS around the country, and more BC variants too. The quality hasn't diminished and the demand is ever growing. I will continue to drink it because it's an outstanding beer.

mtbr member
    21st amendment Marooned on hog island was quite good, not sure about he availability of it, klurejr pretty much nailed majority of the good ones I have all had........ O bootleggers Black Phoenix was really good also, along with iron fist velvet glove.....
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

troll
    Quote Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
    Apparently stouts have less cals than ales.
    This all depends on the sugar content, specifically how much sugars remain after fermentation. Too many variables across the board for this statement to apply to all stouts and dark beers, but it sure sounds good, doesn't it?

650b me
    Wow, this thread is making me thirsty and it's only 9:24am!

Like the OP, I'm a big hophead, not usually a stout drinker. But my LLS (local liquor store?) gave me a great recommendation: Odell Brewing Co's Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout. Haven't seen it mentioned yet, so there you go. From Ft Collins, CO, so not sure if it's available in the LA area.

Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    Wow, this thread is making me thirsty and it's only 9:24am!

Like the OP, I'm a big hophead, not usually a stout drinker. But my LLS (local liquor store?) gave me a great recommendation: Odell Brewing Co's Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout. Haven't seen it mentioned yet, so there you go. From Ft Collins, CO, so not sure if it's available in the LA area.
    Odell's is not available out here, I do not think there is much distribution outside of Colorado. I have heard nothing but good things about their beers.

This all depends on the sugar content, specifically how much sugars remain after fermentation. Too many variables across the board for this statement to apply to all stouts and dark beers, but it sure sounds good, doesn't it?
    Yeah I wish this was easier for Craft Breweries to calculate. What he might be thinking about is the fact that a Pint of Guinness is only like 140 Calories, which is not bad IMO for what you get. I would rather drink one Guinness than two MGD64's or any other light beer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Terrapin's wake 'n bake coffee stout.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I would rather drink one Guinness than two MGD64's or any other light beer.
    Amen to that!

Two Headed Boy
    Another very excellent Stout, though I don't know how easy it is to get outside of Maine....

tSETFREEBYLOVEt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast