Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sour beers?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Sour beers?

I had my first sour beer in Charleston, SC last August and have been looking for one ever since. I'm still not sure if I actually liked it or not, damn was it sour. But, would like to give it a second try. Anyone know of a sour beer that I can buy in a decent beer shop ? I found one that I cannot remember the name of but they wanted $18 for a 22oz. That wasn't going to happen.

Thanks.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    A great entry point to sours is the Duchesse De Bourgogne -- pretty much defines the Flanders red style. It's a beautiful beer that you should be able to find in any bottle shop worth its salt.

For super-sour, pucker-yer-cheeks stuff, try anything from Cantillon, a Belgian brewer that epitomizes sour. And it's sour...I mean, seriously sour.

If you want some 'Merican stuff (and there's quality sours being produced in the states), find some Cascade from Oregon, New Glarus from Wisconsin, Russian River from Santa Rosa, or Lost Abbey from San Diego. And if you can travel out to Portland or Bend, get your hands on a bottle of Ale Apothecary's Sahalie -- it will blow the top of your head off.

Hell yeah, sour!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the leads Gee. The one I had in SC was so sour it was initially hard to drink. I mean like biting into a lemon. Like I said, still not sure how much I liked it but every time I set it down, I had this craving to pick it back up.

I'll look around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Thanks for the leads Gee. The one I had in SC was so sour it was initially hard to drink. I mean like biting into a lemon. Like I said, still not sure how much I liked it but every time I set it down, I had this craving to pick it back up.

I'll look around.
    Also be on the lookout for Bruery beers - they make a bunch of top notch sours (Rueze, Oude Tart, Tart of Darkness, Sour in the Rye, etc). Another good baseline sour is Rodenbach - they pretty much invented the Flemish Red category (and nearly everyone is trying to duplicate this beer). Their former brewer, Peter Bouckaert, now works at New Belgium and heads up NB's sour program. His best there (and it's up to argument) is probably La Folie, a sour brown.

mtbr member
    OP, where are you located? Most sours produced here in the U.S. are pretty limited in distribution.

Hi.
    If you let Coors Light warm up it starts to taste pretty sour

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    A great entry point to sours is the Duchesse De Bourgogne -- pretty much defines the Flanders red style. It's a beautiful beer that you should be able to find in any bottle shop worth its salt.
    I disagree, Duchesse is more on the vinegar side of a Flanders and might be too much for a first timer. Look for Cuvee Des Jacobins, it is also a Flanders, and in my opinion much easier to palate than the Duchesse.

Either way, welcome to the wonderful world of Sours!!!!

Also good to try and more readily available is Gueuze fond Tradition from St. Louis, or Golden Gueuze from Dres Fontaines (it has a big 3 on the bottle)
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for all of the responses. I ended up finding a few of the recommendations, Rodenbach and some other from, ironic, South Carolina. I also found Le Peche from Dogfish Head. It's a sour but not real complex - still ok. My next will be the Rodenbach.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    STAY AWAY FROM SOURS. your wallet will be eternally grateful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well yeah, this is true for any craft beer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I can get 12 jai alais for the price of a 750 of bruery or cascade

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004

Need a breathalyzer interlock for my browser

Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I disagree, Duchesse is more on the vinegar side of a Flanders and might be too much for a first timer. Look for Cuvee Des Jacobins, it is also a Flanders, and in my opinion much easier to palate than the Duchesse.
    Ha! That's funny -- you're right. And you too, mtncampbell. I actually meant to say Rodenbach, but somehow the four beers I had before I posted told me to type Duchesse instead....

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig2002 View Post
    Nice, and I can buy 60 Busch Lights for the same price.

This is not about quantity. Sours are far more expensive and time-consuming to make than other beers, which is why they're typically more expensive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    not bashing sours. just not for me. spent quite a bit of cash trading for sours. finally accepted the fact they are not for me. BUT they are costly. not a fan of Russian stouts either. I know this is blasphemy but I thought cigar city Hanaphu(sp?) was DISGUSTING. which is fine with me. saves me lots of cash and means more for you folks that are fans. but the OP did say that $18.00 for 22 oz was not happening. Le Peche is affordable at around $15 a four pack
    OP could also put a query on beer advocate regional forum

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I wish I could get the jai alais here in Colorado..
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

a dad
    Jan 2004
    STAY AWAY FROM SOURS. your wallet will be eternally grateful.
    Agreed.. I went through the sour phase and glad it has passed.. When I calculated how much money I was spending on beer monthly, I got scared. So, I bought a new truck and stopped drinking sours, now I spend the money on gas..haha
    BBZ

mtbr member
    not bashing sours. just not for me. spent quite a bit of cash trading for sours. finally accepted the fact they are not for me. BUT they are costly. not a fan of Russian stouts either. I know this is blasphemy but I thought cigar city Hanaphu(sp?) was DISGUSTING. which is fine with me. saves me lots of cash and means more for you folks that are fans. but the OP did say that $18.00 for 22 oz was not happening. Le Peche is affordable at around $15 a four pack
    OP could also put a query on beer advocate regional forum
    Rodenbach is pretty reasonable...and represents a great entry level sour to gauge whether it's something the OP wants to explore further. It's important to understand how much time goes into creating sours, and how much space it takes up within a brewing operation, thus the (often high) price tag...
    Here's an interesting story about how New Belgium is debuting a year-round beer beer with Lactobacillus in it: New Belgium will subvert with Snapshot, its subtle new sour ale for the masses
    That could be another one to test the waters with if curious...I go to Avery's Sour Fest every year, and the last few years it has sold out in about 30 seconds! Pretty crazy...but then again, some of the best are in attendance.

Beer Please!
    I did not know Avery really made sours until I went there for the Rumpkin Launch this past year and they had a number on tap. I think I tried 4 or 5 of their sours that day. Really good stuff.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ok so since the Dogfish Festina Peche I've decided that there is something about these sours that I really like. Picked up a sixer of Rodenbach. I'm a believer now, this stuff is expensive as hell. $16 for a 6 pack and you don't even get a 12oz bottle.

Oh well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    I wish I could get the jai alais here in Colorado..
    ever try trading? you'd have no prob getting jai alai form some colo. stuff. avery brews come to mind. pond hopper?

a dad
    Jan 2004
    ever try trading? you'd have no prob getting jai alai form some colo. stuff. avery brews come to mind. pond hopper?
    I would love to trade.. anyone want to trade???
    BBZ

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Would like some Bells too, we can't get that either
    BBZ

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    I would love to trade.. anyone want to trade???
    try beeradvocate. trading forums. I'd love to work with ya but I broke my back in 2 places on fathers day. haven't worked since. disability ran out after 3 months. good luck

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sour beer is a family of beer styles, not a beer style. Being unilaterally for or against sour beers doesn't make a lot of sense as a result, but I do agree that the majority of them a pretty pricey. They take more space and care to get right.

I think American wild ales are the main style being debated, but there is also wild yeast saisons, gueuze, Berliner Weisse, etc. Some of which aren't very sour - for instance, I think a saison with brett should have just enough brett or other wild yeasts to add complexity, not really add any 'pucker' or significant funk. Flanders reds can range from huge pucker fests to mostly sweet with a little tartness.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    sorry wrong thread
    Attachment 868579

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast