Thread: Sour Beer fans?

mtbr member

Sour Beer fans?

I can't be the only one here. Here is what I've got lined up for the weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sour Beer fans?-524201_10200776192150226_2099112028_n.jpg  

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Oh, you're not alone
    That is a solid line up, enjoy! (hope you have tums just out of frame)
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Beer Please!
    +1 ;-) Enjoy!
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Two Headed Boy
    Dang man killer weekend then:P I love sour, but just only recently tried it! I've had only a couple, and rather liked Duchesse De Bourgogne, bit pricey but in my very limited sour experience a nice example.

tSETFREEBYLOVEt

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Nice one!
    Duchesse De Bourgogne is a great "gateway" sour, as it's fairly subdued, and quite flavorful.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Nice one!
    Duchesse De Bourgogne is a great "gateway" sour, as it's fairly subdued, and quite flavorful.
    Interesting, I personally find the Duchesse to be too vinigary for me, I prefer Cuvee De Jacobines. (spelling is off)
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Interesting, I personally find the Duchesse to be too vinigary for me, I prefer Cuvee De Jacobines. (spelling is off)
    Very interesting indeed...
    Always strikes me on the tart/fruitier side, with a heavier mouth-feel.
    Although I suppose I can see a bit of vinegar.

whatever she says gueuze.
    Great lineup. If you can get your hands on a Consecration then you're golden. Last fall we made a trip out to Portland and checked out Cascade....talk about sour heaven.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
    Great lineup. If you can get your hands on a Consecration then you're golden. Last fall we made a trip out to Portland and checked out Cascade....talk about sour heaven.
    Yeah, Cascade is great. One of the sour beer OG's. Raccoon Lodge in Beaverton is another good spot, same crew/owner/brewers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Availability is always different in different areas but a big sour fan here, we have a few local offerings that are great, and also Portland's Deschutes Dissident is great. I personally love the Oude Gueuze expressions, most notably at this point these:

Mort Subite Oude Gueuze - Brouwerij Mort Subite - Asse-Kobbegem, Belgium - BeerAdvocate

Oude Gueuze Tilquin L'Ancienne - Gueuzerie Tilquin - Rebecq-Rognon, Belgium - BeerAdvocate

They don't have a lot of sweetness, so the sour really shines. A local brewery, Storm Brewing, did a 12 year aged Lambic that was to die for - absolutely stunning - and unbelievably sour. Think sour candy in a glass, then double it. I have never found anything else that even comes close.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Is it just me or have you guys given up enthusiastically trying to get your friends to try your sour beers? Nobody seems to want to give it chance or more than a sip, I am in my own little world besides my (2) friends who enjoy them.

When a person drinks a white wine, red wine, sparkling, etc. you don't get a response of "ahhh, thats not wine, gross", a simple "I like red/whites/reislings/etc" better.

Drama queens the bunch of em.

Ahh, what is this horse piss, taste like a smokey porter, WTF is wrong with you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post
    Is it just me or have you guys given up enthusiastically trying to get your friends to try your sour beers? Nobody seems to want to give it chance or more than a sip, I am in my own little world besides my (2) friends who enjoy them.
    Most of my beer friends have tried it, said "hm. interesting." and then went back to other beers. My girlfriend loves them but can't drink more than a few sips of any beer because it doesn't agree with her. So I've gotten the respect at least but no sour fiend friends.

Sorry to self-promote but I have put a number of different sours on the little blog I've been using to keep track of beers: jasonlovesbeer.tumblr.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    This is a good thread. I've only had the russian river stuff... cuz they're sorta kinda within 2 hours.
    But I like trying new and interesting beers at every opportunity.

-another fan of sours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    Most of my beer friends have tried it, said "hm. interesting." and then went back to other beers. My girlfriend loves them but can't drink more than a few sips of any beer because it doesn't agree with her. So I've gotten the respect at least but no sour fiend friends.

Sorry to self-promote but I have put a number of different sours on the little blog I've been using to keep track of beers: jasonlovesbeer.tumblr.com
    BTW, great photography on your blog. Nicely done.

Beer Me!
    +1 on Sours. In fact I think its my favorite style.

Look for Rodenbach and La Folie in particular, they are 2 of my all time favorites.
    Last edited by Guerdonian; 04-18-2013 at 01:34 PM.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    + 1 on the Rodenbach.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My tattoo artist brewed a killer sour beer. Actually it was the only sour beer I tried. I'm going to be buying some of the brands listed here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by painster234 View Post
    I'm not really into bitter beer, or sour tasting beer. Currently some of my favorites are Blue Moon, Bass, Newcastle, and Fat Tire, so anything somewhat similar to those would be great.
    Are you asking for a suggestion for a beer, whats you question? You realize this is a sour beer thread and not a "what I thought was good microbrew beer in 2001" thread, right? (J/K)

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizRider View Post
    Are you asking for a suggestion for a beer, whats you question? You realize this is a sour beer thread and not a "what I thought was good microbrew beer in 2001" thread, right? (J/K)
    He's trolling to get hits on the websites in his sig. For some reason, MTBR attracts a lot of those types of people.

Back on topic, I cracked into two fantastic sours last night. One was West Ashley from Sante Adairius, a tart saison brewed with apricots. Sour comes from pedio/lacto and the saision base is fermented with brett.

The other was Cisco Lady of the Woods I picked up while in Chicago a couple weeks back. An absolutely fantastic sour from Nantucket, MA. Consensus was that Lady of the Woods was better than West Ashley by a hair due to the smoother fruity profile and higher level of carbonation which works wonders with the style.