Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    official eMpTyBRain

Shock Top vs. Blue Moon

Shock Top is obvioulsy a copy of Blue Moon. Can you taste a difference between the two???
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Not too be overly judgemental, but come on... neither qualify as a proper witbier. How about switching to Ommegang if you're looking for good domesticate belgium style brews?

But to answer the question, Shock Top is only shocking for how watered down the flava is. Some might prefer this type of lighter version, but for me - a wheat beer is already light enough let alone toning it down so it's not too 'challenging' to the mass market palette.

official eMpTyBRain
    WOOOW! Didn't expect such an exacting science type reply!!! LOL, come on, we all know that beer drinking is for the EFFECT!!! The flavor is merely a by-product...

I'd rather be riding!
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg
    WOOOW! Didn't expect such an exacting science type reply!!! LOL, come on, we all know that beer drinking is for the EFFECT!!! The flavor is merely a by-product...
    So Not True! I agree with abacojeff, why did I even click on this thread?

Now I'm off to the fridge for a double IPA.

Don't be hasty.
    Jun 2007
    I prefer blue moon. But I can't really compare to these beer snobs.

mtbr member
    ive never understood,If your just looking for the "EFFECT!!!" why do you drink 4% beer instead of 40% whisky? Ive drank beer almost everyday for years, not getting drunk.

My favorite Wit so far was the Dog Fish Red&White.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Blue Moon all the way. Shock top is weak.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    ive never understood,If your just looking for the "EFFECT!!!" why do you drink 4% beer instead of 40% whisky? Ive drank beer almost everyday for years, not getting drunk.

My favorite Wit so far was the Dog Fish Red&White.
    So funny...and true! Actually, I prefer the whiskey buzz over the beer buzz any day. Beer buzzes have me too full and bloated, LOL!

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by abacojeff
    Not too be overly judgemental, but come on... neither qualify as a proper witbier. How about switching to Ommegang if you're looking for good domesticate belgium style brews?

But to answer the question, Shock Top is only shocking for how watered down the flava is. Some might prefer this type of lighter version, but for me - a wheat beer is already light enough let alone toning it down so it's not too 'challenging' to the mass market palette.
    +1 These are poor examples of the Belgian wit beer style. Try a Hoegaarden

official eMpTyBRain
    Questions:

1) Do you serious beer guys (which I do respect) ride mtn bikes also?

2) Are the specific brands of higher quality Belgium spiced brews you are are recommending going to go well with a slice of orange like Blue Moon does???

pronounced may-duh
    1) yes
    2) yes

If you like Belgian wit then you will probably like it's German cousin the Hefeweizen (that German for light wheat beer) Paulaner and Fraziskanher are 2 good examples of Hefeweizens that are available in most supermarkets. They go good with a lemon.

mtbr member
    Questions:

1) Do you serious beer guys (which I do respect) ride mtn bikes also?

2) Are the specific brands of higher quality Belgium spiced brews you are are recommending going to go well with a slice of orange like Blue Moon does???
    1) yes, i travel the country riding the best trails in america, hitting the best breweries and buying rare beers at the same time. 15+ states this year alone.

2) don't citrus your beer, the acid kills the head retention. If you feel the need to add something to your beer it's a sign you drinking beer that wasn't made well enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Fact vs opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    2) don't citrus your beer, the acid kills the head retention. If you feel the need to add something to your beer it's a sign you drinking beer that wasn't made well enough.
    Head retention killer = fact.

Opinion: I used to think that adding something to a beer was a sign of a poorly crafted beer. Not so much anymore.

While adding citrus is a cover for other flaws in many beers (especially Mexican lagers - rumor has it that Corona started the craze adding a lime to bottles to cover the fact that the bottling line filled bottles to an inconsistent level).

It is not so true for specialty beers - especially some wheat beers that are lighter and meant for refreshment.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Both are OK, but as a beer snob, I like to stick with the microbrews (Shock Top is actually Anheuser-Busch & Blue Moon is Molson-Coors). +1 on Ommegang (although it's hard to find out west) also Widmer hefeweizen gets my vote.

pronounced may-duh
    If you like lemon in your beer then go for it. In fact when it come to beer, whatever you think is good is good. If you think bud light lime is good then it is. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Another really good example of wit beer is Blanche de Chambly by Unibroue

You know, for kids
    Both Shocktop and Blue Moon are absolutely awful beers, so both lose IMO.

Even Hoegaarden sucks now compared to what it was a decade ago. Once Pierre Celis sold Hoegaarden it was never the same.

Some of my favorite wit beers:

Sterken's (Belgium)

Blanche de Bruxelles (Belgium)

Celis White (USA, from Pierre Celis, the guy who revived Hoegaarden initially, sold this one to Michigan Brewing Company I believe, another one that seemed to lose something when it was sold)

St. Bernardus Wit (another Pierre Celis creation, Belgian, perhaps his best IMO)

Mikkeller Not Another Wit (Belgium)
    Last edited by madcap; 10-07-2009 at 02:46 PM.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

Gigantic Hawk
    I think that the wrong beers are being compared here. Shocktop is not a copy of Bluemoon. It was a beer that won several medals a few years back under a different name that was then marketed by A/B as Shocktop. I like both of these beers, but I think it is unfair to match them against European wits or hefes. I feel it is more fair to compare them to other 'supermarket' style wheats like Kona's, Magichat's, or Sierra Nevada's. These are readily available, and cost about the same.

I am also against fruit slices in beer. It's about enjoying the taste of the beer, not the fruit.

You know, for kids
    Shocktop won an award? Really? What for? Most shockingly awful beer?

pronounced may-duh
    [QUOTE=dubthang]I like both of these beers, but I think it is unfair to match them against European wits or hefes. QUOTE]

Why? They say Belgian style wheat beer directly on thier lables. If you buy a beer that is labled a certian style then it's very much fair to compare it to beers that represent that style. Had they marketed it as a bastard version of Belgian wheat then maybe they are off the hook. But they market it as an authentic true to style Belgian wheat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Awards

Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    Shocktop won an award? Really? What for? Most shockingly awful beer?
    Actually, a homebrewer won awards for the beer at the great american beer fest. It was called spiced wheat beer - or something less market friendly than shock top...
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

You know, for kids
    What's even crappier than those two is anything made by Leinenkugel

official eMpTyBRain
    WOW! Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I've got beer sampling ahead!? I like the sound of the that...and the taste...

Gigantic Hawk
    [QUOTE=Maida7]
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang
    I like both of these beers, but I think it is unfair to match them against European wits or hefes. QUOTE]

Why? They say Belgian style wheat beer directly on thier lables. If you buy a beer that is labled a certian style then it's very much fair to compare it to beers that represent that style. Had they marketed it as a bastard version of Belgian wheat then maybe they are off the hook. But they market it as an authentic true to style Belgian wheat.
    Why? Because I think most people understand that with beer, quality comes at a price. This isn't always the case, but here I feel it to be correct. And they don't market it as an authentic true to style Belgian wheat. It is labeled as a Belgium style wheat ale. That means that it is their version of what they feel is acceptable to a large population of drinkers. Even companies like Allagash and Ommengang clearly state that their beers are their interpretation of a Belgian style wheat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madcap
    What's even crappier than those two is anything made by Leinenkugel
    second that statement.

mtbr member
    Hey i dont mind Leinenkugel...well when its free, my bud has a summer job as a beer distributer, i get cases for free, im rocking through a case of classic amber right now, its a big step up from the college gut rot that is usually present at parties.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast