Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Int'l Man of Leisure

Scotch Appreciation Thread

A thread for scotch whiskey, because a man can't survive on beer alone.

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnate View Post
    because a man can't survive on beer alone.
    BuLL SH!T!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm always looking for a good scotch (or tequila) that is quality, but doesn't break the bank. Hard to do.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Have a bottle of Ardbeg Corryvreckan open now. It's pretty phenomenal.

If it's not cheating too much, I'm also into various American whiskeys. Willett's 5 year rye is terrific, and I've got a bottle of Black Maple Hill 16 year bourbon open too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    laphroaig quarter cask and lagavulin are two of my favorites.

PRETENDURO
    Lagavulin 16 year old single malt. Period… unless you know of someone that held onto a bottle of cask strength 25 year old Port Ellen for all these decades—I was fortunate enough to know what it tastes like at a private single malt tasting party back in 2010.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Got 2 bottles of port ellen stashed, not 25 but a 12 and a 15 yr old.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    I thought we already had a Single Malt Thread, but I could not find it, here are some of my favs:

Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

mtbr member
    Lots of great Scotch noted above. I am an Islay whisky fan more than anything. Ardbeg, Lagavulin and especially Laphroaig. I'm sitting on one last bottle of the Laphroaig 15 and a bottle of Laph 30 that I received as a 40th birthday present. I don't consider myself a collector, but I still have about 30 Scotches in my cabinet including some independent bottlings.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    Lots of great Scotch noted above. I am an Islay whisky fan more than anything. Ardbeg, Lagavulin and especially Laphroaig. I'm sitting on one last bottle of the Laphroaig 15 and a bottle of Laph 30 that I received as a 40th birthday present. I don't consider myself a collector, but I still have about 30 Scotches in my cabinet including some independent bottlings.
    Mention the word of a single malt tasting, and I’ll research airfares to the east coast.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

love the Balvenie....
    39.5506° N, 107.3242° W

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I love the peat monsters like Talikser, Laphroaig, Lagavulin. I actually prefer Laphroaig 10 year over Quarter Cask, though I need to pick up another bottle of the latter to see if that's changed.

Balvenie makes some awesome stuff. I have a bottle of the 14 year Golden Cask, and although I've seen some less than stellar reviews, I love the hint of rum on the finish!

Would love to try that 21 year Port Wood, but alas, cheapest I've seen it is $240. Canada is a LOT more expensive than the states for alcohol. You Americans have it easy when it comes to the bevvies.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Lagavulin 16 year old single malt. Period… unless you know of someone that held onto a bottle of cask strength 25 year old Port Ellen for all these decades—I was fortunate enough to know what it tastes like at a private single malt tasting party back in 2010.
    Lagavulin 16 definitely!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Oban 14 is an easy drinker.

For bourbons I go for Knob Creek.

Quiet Professional
    Glenrothes for me.Scotch Appreciation Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1356065819447.jpg

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scotch Appreciation Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1356065854943.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Great ideas on a few excellent scotches! So far haven't tried more than the Glenfiddich 15, Glenmorangie 10 yr and Quinta Ruban, Glenlivet 12 and a few blended scotches. But I do have a great whiskey recommendation that isn't found everywhere: Templeton Rye. Its a great rye whiskey that won't break the bank! Supposed to be the preferred whiskey of Al Capone.

beater
    Sounds like most of you have similar tastes. While I won't turn my nose up at Speysides or Highlands, if I'm spending my money I really prefer the western maritime malts. Mostly Islay malts (especially Laphroig and Ardbeg), but Oban, Talisker, and Tobermory will do the trick, too. And Springbank. Mmm. Springbank is a favorite. But I think that my go-to malt will always be Bowmore 12. It just ticks all the boxes.

My ex-wife is English, and her family didn't live too far from St. Ives (Cambs), where there is a fantastic liquor store that has a selection of Scotch I've never seen bettered, even by NYC's Park Avenue Liquors. This place also had dozens upon dozens of miniatures, even in the independents like G&McP. It was fantastic for tasting afternoons. The owner didn't even like Scotch; he just liked having that kind of selection. I miss that store.

Quiet Professional
    Miniatures are not widely available here. Wish i could try far more than i have.

ready to ride
    I'm honestly not a huge fan, well I should say I wasn't a huge fan. A little back story, for work I travel to Scotland about 3 times a year so when in Rome. The last time I was there, I went out and had an awesome dinner in Edinburgh. Afterwards I bellied up at the appropriately named Whisky bar. Started off with some beers but stuck up a conversation about scotch with one of the patrons. Well turns out he wasn't a patron but the owner. Long story shot too late I tried some that blew my mind.

Dalmore 18 was awesome, the Alexander III was beyond belief. It costs a pretty penny but I plan on bringing a bottle home with me when I'm over in January.

I just read the comment about Springbank. I have a bottle of that already. A bit too peaty for my taste. Admittedly I have the 10 yo so that may have something to do with it. Definitely prefer the Highlands.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

Rogue Exterminator
    More of an American Whiskey/Bourbon or Irish Whiskey guy.
    Canadians and Scotch Whiskeys are usually not my thing.

However, that bottle of Isle of Jura posted in a couple pics is probably the one Scotch I have ever had and actually liked.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    Miniatures are not widely available here. Wish i could try far more than i have.

Next time you’re ambling about through London Heathrow, check out some of the “doodie-free” shops, as you will find some of the smaller bottle variety packs there.

Int'l Man of Leisure
    The American Man's Scotch Pronunciation Guide
    Brian Cox, esteemed actor and proud Scot, sips his way through more than 40 brand names to help you out at the bar, the liquor store, and beyond

Scotch Pronunciation Guide - Video of Scotch Brand Names - Esquire

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post

However, that bottle of Isle of Jura posted in a couple pics is probably the one Scotch I have ever had and actually liked.
    Sounds like it's not scotch you're against but the islay scotches specifically. Fair enough - they are completely different beast. There are a lot of great smooth, low-peat options out there too. But you pay for it compared to an American Whiskey, that's for sure!

beater

I have a friend who's a bourbon drinker, and who never really warmed to Scotch until he tried Highland Park. It has a distinctive vanilla note, like bourbon. That might be another worth sampling sometime.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My buddy thought I'd get gut rot since it's so cheap

It's actually very smooooooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Madurochris View Post
    But I do have a great whiskey recommendation that isn't found everywhere: Templeton Rye. Its a great rye whiskey that won't break the bank! Supposed to be the preferred whiskey of Al Capone.
    I want to try that. I heard a whole story on NPR this morning about the comeback of Rye Whiskys in the US, and them mentioned this one specifically. Apparently the town of templeton is tiny and the production is fairly small.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Picked up a bottle of Talisker Distiller's Edition 2000 today, which is basically the 10 year aged an extra year in Amoroso casks. Can't wait to crack it open! I've had a glass of Laphroaig already today, so gonna try to wait 'till tomorrow. I'll see how that goes.

Edit: Who was I kidding, of course I cracked it last night. Requisite picture:

My girlfriend was heckling my nerdness as I curated the photo and spent 20 minutes getting a good shot instead of drinking the whisky (I was letting the whisky air?)
    Last edited by LostBoyScout; 12-28-2012 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I want to try that. I heard a whole story on NPR this morning about the comeback of Rye Whiskys in the US, and them mentioned this one specifically. Apparently the town of templeton is tiny and the production is fairly small.
    sooooo I found a new liquor store that I like and guess what they had?

That did not take long.

Very good stuff.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Big fan of Islay Scotch, but for sake of beer forum like to note Rogue Dead Guy wiskey. Not your typical sour mash affair in any way.
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Some Balvenie love from a little while ago. Finished off my bottle of Ardbeg last night, which I'm pretty sad about - Ardbeg has perfected the campfire nose.

I've got my next two bottles already figured out - Ardbeg Uigeadail and Glenlivet Nadurra - now just waiting until I can spare the dough to pick them up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    sooooo I found a new liquor store that I like and guess what they had?

That did not take long.

Very good stuff.

Good recommendation? I finished my bottle New Years. Everyone that tried it really liked it.

Last night sipped on a macallan 15 yr... Super smooth. But maybe the smoothness was exaggerated because the glass before was an Aberlour a'Bunadh. Holy cow! It's almost 120 proof! Dropped a small cube of ice in it before drinking and POOF! Turned to steam! Ha!! The flavor was delicious but very spicy. Not a scotch for boys.

mtbr member
    I only have a bottle of Lagavullin on hand at the moment. It's good, but I like more peat.

Afric Pepperbird
    Ya'll should read my previous posts here on the delicious Rye Whisky. I've been touting them for years!

(and for those of you "experienced", remember, there can be no LSD without the rye grain! Rye leads to many good things!)

beater
    This is what I have in the cabinet. I killed off the Caol Ila a month or so ago, and I'm out of Bowmore. Sigh. I suppose I should work on the Distillers Editions, but I think they're more appealing in theory than in practice.

Scotch Appreciation Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358131134.161102.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Love some glenmorganie 12 year or anything Jack Daniels

Really I am that slow

nothing to fancy

but was a lovely dram to have after a bronco's playoff loss and a ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scotch Appreciation Thread-006.jpg  

Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

beater
    Nice - envious of the riding. Single digit temps here, but nice and sunny so I took the pooch skate skiing.

I've been catching up on Archer season 3 and I'm in the mood for some Glengoolie Blue and gummy bears. I think that Springbank will have to do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanic Pizza View Post
    I only have a bottle of Lagavullin on hand at the moment. It's good, but I like more peat.
    You don't hear that every day! Lag is peatier than most can handle already. Ardbeg 10? That's my go-to

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    . I suppose I should work on the Distillers Editions, but I think they're more appealing in theory than in practice.
    Yeah, I like the Talisker DE but even then It seems you mask so much just to add a little sweet, and then lose the signature flavor and peat.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    Yeah, I like the Talisker DE but even then It seems you mask so much just to add a little sweet, and then lose the signature flavor and peat.
    Yeah, I hadn't had any in a while, but that's what I poured last night. It's certainly very pleasant, but not very distinctive. At that price it ought to be both. Honestly I'd rather have plain old Talisker, which is distinctive.

I've had those bottles for ages- I think they're out of the first runs of DEs. I bought them while in the UK in summer '01. They haven't degraded at all that I can tell, but it's high time I stop rationing them and finish them off.

Carbon or Commie?
    Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    You don't hear that every day! Lag is peatier than most can handle already. Ardbeg 10? That's my go-to
    I think they forgot the peat in the 2012 bottlings of Lag 16... I mean, it's there... but I'm getting stronger notes of peat from a 2011 Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.

I guess I'll just have to hurry up and finish my current bottle of Lag and try another. You know, just to be sure.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by axisofoil View Post
    I think they forgot the peat in the 2012 bottlings of Lag 16... I mean, it's there... but I'm getting stronger notes of peat from a 2011 Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.
    That’s not a pleasant thought! Fortunately I am still nursing my 2011 bottle of the 16 year old Lagavulin. I recently (two weeks ago) picked up a 2012 Lagavulin 16 year old and now am worried by your “lack of peat” concern—ought I add some liquid smoke to it when I drink it?

Quote Originally Posted by axisofoil View Post
    I guess I'll just have to hurry up and finish my current bottle of Lag and try another. You know, just to be sure.
    Always a great idea!

Carbon or Commie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    That’s not a pleasant thought! Fortunately I am still nursing my 2011 bottle of the 16 year old Lagavulin. I recently (two weeks ago) picked up a 2012 Lagavulin 16 year old and now am worried by your “lack of peat” concern—ought I add some liquid smoke to it when I drink it?

Always a great idea!
    I think you'll be fine. It's still smooth, complex, and definitely has the peat. It's just more oaky than peaty... and that's not how I remembered it in the past. Maybe my peat sensors have just been eroded over time. I've also started using a glencairn glass instead of just a rocks glass... so that might be another factor that I haven't considered. Sounds like we need to do a side-by-side.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    A thread for scotch whiskey, because a man can't survive on beer alone.
    A Scotsman who spells
    Whisky with a n ‘e’,
    should be hand cuffed
    and thrown head first in the Dee.

In the USA and Ireland,
    it’s spelt with an ‘e’
    but in Scotland
    it’s real ‘Whisky’.

So if you see Whisky
    and it has an ‘e’,
    only take it,
    if you get it for free!

For the name is not the same
    and it never will be,
    a dram is only a real dram,
    from a bottle of ‘Scotch Whisky’.

Stanley Bruce.
    20th April 2004

Int'l Man of Leisure
    Wut about color with a "u?"

Extraneous?

I think so too.

-Bucky Goldstein

beater
    I'm pedantic enough that I watch my spelling depending on whether I'm referring to bourbon or Scotch (or Scots!) but I think it's lost on most people.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm a beer guy, but have also recently discovered my quality of life has gone up with good scotch.

Lately it's been Caol Ila 12 and Oban 14.

Good recommendation? I finished my bottle New Years. Everyone that tried it really liked it.
    Very good! I had myself a dram n a half last night after a hard day of work.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
    I'm a beer guy, but have also recently discovered my quality of life has gone up with good scotch.

Lately it's been Caol Ila 12 and Oban 14.
    Had a glass of Oban at the pub last night. Good stuff, though for the price I'd go Lag 16 or Uigeadail

beater
    I used to go to a place here that had Springbank as the cheapest malt on the list, by several dollars. Compared to the retail cost of a bottle it was way underpriced in relation to their other whiskies. I never understood why, and I didn't question it. I suppose that it doesn't appeal to casual drinkers who choose the more famous names. Their loss.

of all the distilleries we toured in Scotland, Oban was the coolest. They claim to be the smallest operating distillery in all of Scotland, and they are located right on the water on the south west coast of Scotland. You can almost taste the salt air in their scotch.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

beater

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm on a bit of a 'cask strength, non-chill filtered' kick right now and thus my next two bottles are going to be the popular entry-level options Glenlivet Nadurra and Aberlour A'bunadh. Otherwise I want to save my monies for rare Islay offerings that crop up. I'd love to get my hands on a bottle (or more) of Lagavulin 12, or some rare Laphroaig / Talisker / Ardbeg bottlings.

Not mine, but some scotch-porn for viewing pleasure.. a 1975-2006 bottling of Ardbeg:

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

so you drink jack daniels and jameson. exit the thread stage left!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    so you drink jack daniels and jameson. exit the thread stage left!
    I would hope not... though they work fine for mixing I suppose. There are some good bourbons... I don't really know em though. All I have is Knob Creek which is pretty tasty, I use it generally to make Old Fashioneds. I'd like to learn more about bourbons.

beater

Talisker DE and The Great Muppet Caper. I'm only half classy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Believe it or not my love of scotch came from my love of beer. I started drinking craft beer and learned to appreciate scotch along the way.

As I like my beer smokey, I also like my scotch the same way.

I think I'll have a pour right now! Cheers and thanks to all you I now have way more scotch to go try!

beater

Makes a lot of sense, actually. Both are barley based. Skol!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Saldana View Post
    As I like my beer smokey, I also like my scotch the same way.
    You should look for this:

Plenty of smoke with a spice of cinnamon, really good stuff.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just tried the local liquor store, they didn't have it so I picked up a bottle of Laphroaig 10, but I'll keep my eye out cause that Jura sounds right up my alley! Thanks for the suggestion!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Can't go wrong with Laphroaig. I'd like to try the Prophecy, I have a bottle of Superstition and it's pretty decent, but nothing to get overly excited about. Just picked up a bottle of Glenfarclas 15 and I totally love it. I love the peat as much as anyone but a nice sherried dram is good on occasion too!

Carbon or Commie?
    Still building the collection.

Tonight's new additions are Dalmore 15, Dalmore King Alexander (50ml... I'm not made of money), and Templeton Rye.

This forum is trying to bring me to financial ruin...

Scotch Appreciation Thread-843028_4416757379202_589704872_o.jpg

Quiet Professional
    You should look for this:

Plenty of smoke with a spice of cinnamon, really good stuff.
    I have been wondering about the Jura single malts.

Ski N Bike Tech

Sounds like I have been limiting myself. I've always liked Johnny Walker Green Label. I recently heard a rumor that they were killing it off. Need to get a bottle before its too late, if the rumors are true.

I have lots to try out now. Anyone got any suggestions on my next move based on my enjoyment of the Green Label?

beater

I haven't had either of those for ages, since I went to a JW tasting event in NYC about 10 years ago. I'd guess you'd find a pretty easy transition to something from the Speyside region, which includes many of the widely recognized names: Macallan and Glenmorangie, for example. I say that not remembering what JW was aiming for with those blends, and figuring that Speysides are what most people reckon to be the "classic" whisky profile. Not a bad starting point for exploring, and if you identify a particular "note" to the flavor that you like, that gives you a direction for your next move.

If you really want to figure out what you like, I recommend buying a copy of the Michael Jackson guide. Mine has notes that I scribble in it about what I've tried, what I liked, what I didn't.

Jura is my wife's favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiNBike View Post
    Sounds like I have been limiting myself. I've always liked Johnny Walker Green Label. I recently heard a rumor that they were killing it off. Need to get a bottle before its too late, if the rumors are true.

I have lots to try out now. Anyone got any suggestions on my next move based on my enjoyment of the Green Label?
    Do you prefer blended over Single Malt? I happen to prefer Single Malt, Blended can have a large percentage of non-aged malt liquor added to it to create volume, so IMO the quality is not the same.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

beater

JW Green and Blue are all-malt blends, IIRC, so they're not really comparable to JW Red, Dewars or other blended scotch. And then most single malts are actually blends of different casks and ages of a given malt. They have to do that for uniformity. To get something straight from the cask you have to look for single cask bottlings.

JW Green and Blue are all-malt blends, IIRC, so they're not really comparable to JW Red, Dewars or other blended scotch. And then most single malts are actually blends of different casks and ages of a given malt. They have to do that for uniformity. To get something straight from the cask you have to look for single cask bottlings.
    I do have some single cask stuff from Strath Isla.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

beater

Interesting timing- I just opened the newest issue of The New Yorker, and there's a piece on Scotch in general, and Bruichladdich in particular. Good read.

Scotch Appreciation Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360268365.498155.jpg

Elitest thrill junkie
    Laphroaig the other weekend in AZ. $40 for a double. Was definitely an experience. Tasted smoky and peaty like little else. I usually don't go for that much peat, but it was interesting to try and I'd rather do it than not.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Laphroaig the other weekend in AZ. $40 for a double. Was definitely an experience. Tasted smoky and peaty like little else. I usually don't go for that much peat, but it was interesting to try and I'd rather do it than not.
    $40, for a bottle or a double shot?

I think I can buy that at my local bevmo for about $60 a bottle here....

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

Carbon or Commie?

Re: Scotch Appreciation Thread

same here (in az).

mtbr member
    Shared some Glenkinchie 12 w/ the girlfriend's uncle last Friday. I think that might have been my first lowland Scotch. Delicious and smooth a little bit sweet and very dangerous. I think I might have to grab a bottle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The best:

Carbon or Commie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    Shared some Glenkinchie 12 w/ the girlfriend's uncle last Friday. I think that might have been my first lowland Scotch. Delicious and smooth a little bit sweet and very dangerous. I think I might have to grab a bottle.
    I picked up a bottle of Glenkinchie 12 this weekend (needed a lowland). Very subdued flavors IMO. But sweet, and shockingly smooth, like you said. It's just a little TOO easy to drink if you're not trying to get really drunk. And let's face it. If you're drinking nice scotch, the goal probably isn't to get drunk.
    Last edited by axisofoil; 02-26-2013 at 03:51 PM.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Either someone had been drinking to much at his work, or he doesn't aperiate whisky...
    BBC News - Thousands of litres of whisky flushed down drain in Dumbarton

Elitest thrill junkie

18yr, but yeah, they are getting their money's worth. Several bars in AZ are getting a nice selection these days though. I recommend Flagstaff Brewery, they have several local varieties in addition to a huge variety of imported.

beater

I am more of a scotch drinker, but given that bourbon has infiltrated this thread a few times, and I finally made it to this distillery today... Neversweat bourbon from Headframe Spirits in Butte, MT. Pretty tasty stuff. For $25/bottle, it's one heck of a deal.

Scotch Appreciation Thread-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362285674.399616.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Has to be Johnnie Walker!

Carbon or Commie?
    Quote Originally Posted by beez28 View Post
    Has to be Johnnie Walker!
    red, black, double-black, green, gold, blue? Lots of Johnnie's walking around these days, so you'll need to be more specific!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I took a leap and picked up a bottle of Ardberg 10 as it was on sale. THAT'S what peat tastes like. Holy cow! Actually, with a touch of water I think I enjoyed it. I say think because I'll have to try another dram of it before I can decide. Also picked up a Highland Park 12. Very smooth!

beater
    Well, if you don't like it... Too bad you can't share whisky through the internetz, b/c a number of us here have expressed fondness for Ardbeg.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Well, if you don't like it... Too bad you can't share whisky through the internetz, b/c a number of us here have expressed fondness for Ardbeg.
    Stop by anytime you are in town and I'll be happy to drink with you.

beater
    Stop by anytime you are in town and I'll be happy to drink with you.
    Ditto. It's fun sharing a whisky with people who appreciate it.

ready to ride
    Pretty much a newb but it grown ome for sure. In country right now. Trying hard not to try too many as I have to work in the morning. The Lagavulin 16 is quite nice. Very smokey nose but surprisingly smooth on the pallet. Had a Balvenie 12 double wood the other night. Tasty enough and The price was right at the local grocery store so it has made it's way into the suit case.

Just finished a talisker 10, meh. Good but after the Lagavulin, it just wasn't right. Probably should have tried the talisker first.

Screw it going for the McCallan 18.

Wish me luck

beater

Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    Just finished a talisker 10, meh. Good but after the Lagavulin, it just wasn't right. Probably should have tried the talisker first.

Wish me luck
    It'll be super smooth, but you might find it doesn't taste like much after the others. Enjoy-

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    Pretty much a newb but it grown ome for sure. In country right now. Trying hard not to try too many as I have to work in the morning. The Lagavulin 16 is quite nice. Very smokey nose but surprisingly smooth on the pallet. Had a Balvenie 12 double wood the other night. Tasty enough and The price was right at the local grocery store so it has made it's way into the suit case.

Wish me luck
    Talisker doesn't have the muscle that Lagavulin has, though I love both for their own attributes. If you like the deep, strong peat of the Lag I suggest trying Ardbeg Uigeadail. It has all the smoke and fire of the Lag, plus a sherry sweetness. Truly spectacular.

Balvenie stuff doesn't do it for me - I have owned 3 now (for some reason), including the famed 15 year Single Barrel, but they aren't amazing for me. The 15SB is the best of the bunch surely but I would still rather sit down with a Glenfarclas 15 or Laddy 10 for much less.

Carbon or Commie?
    So, who celebrated Excuse-for-drunk-and-disorderly-conduct day with Scotch instead of Irish booze?

ready to ride
    Totally drank those last night in the reverse order that I should have.

Funny had you asked me two days ago if I like smokey scotch I would have said I wasn't a huge fan. Guess I had smokey and peaty confused as being the same. Have a Springbank 10 that I wasn't hugely fond of. Guess that is more peaty than smokey.

Really liked the Lagavulin last night which turned me on to the smoke. I had a Laphroaig 10 after dinner tonight and really like the smoke of it too. Not as rich as the Lagavulin 16 and not quite as much smoke on the nose but lots of smooth smoke on the pallette.

Sipping on the Balvenie now, once again not a good follow up but the bottle begged to be cracked so I couldn't refuse. I still like it for what it is. Has a nice creamy finish.

Thanks for the tip on the Ardberg I will have to check it out. Too much work to do tomorrow and Wednesday to be out tasting a bunch of Whisky but I will be back in Edinburgh Wednesday night and can do some tasting then. Any other suggestions? Something on the smokey end of the spectrum. Of course I can always ask the Bar keep. Probably end up bring another bottle back. Just what I need, another expensive interest.

beater

While not strictly Scotch related, this is as good a spot as any, and it's an entertaining read:

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2011/11/...orrible-people

Not Scotch, Just whisky:

I went to NYC last weekend and found this. Kings County, Apparently it is a newer distiller in Brooklyn and this is not distributed very far and wide yet, so I grabbed a bottle for a good friend who collects, and one for me of course. Kinda Pricey at $25 for a small 200ml flask style bottle. Hopefully it is good! Aged 3-4 years.

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nice thread. New to scotch. Went to an Irish festival a few weeks ago, bought some Glencairne glasses. Couple of Scottish guys shared some glenlevit. It was good. I enjoyed having a nice slow drink w/O all the bloat. So I have a few scotches at the house, all left by others. I don't like laphroig. Peat and smoke don't agree with me. Dewars was ok but not as good as glenlevit. Wondering if you guys have any recommendations on something smooth without peat or strong smoke. Or a source that I can check out

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Wound up with a balvenie 12yr. On sale for 43.00. Pretty nice. Smooth enough that I can pick up some of the flavors. No smoke. A good first choice I think. Way better than the garbage I've had in mixed drinks years ago. Might have to pick out another so I have a choice.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Hophead1 View Post
    Wondering if you guys have any recommendations on something smooth without peat or strong smoke. Or a source that I can check out
    Balvenie Doublewood comes to mind, you might want to try it out.

Wondering if you guys have any recommendations on something smooth without peat or strong smoke. Or a source that I can check out
    Look for anything from the lowlands or Speyside, they use way less to zero peet when drying the grain, so there is little to no smoke.

There are six Distilling regions of Scotland, and each region is known for a specific flavor profile. You will get more peet in the drying process and thus more smoke in the flavor with scotches from the Islay and Island Regions. The highlands tend to offer both. I am not very familiar with the Cambelltown region whiskeys.

Here is more info:

Regions & Distilleries - Whiskies of Scotland - Scotch Whisky

MTBR Posting Rules
    e-bike forum rules

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    looks like lots of good options here locally. most of the reviews i've read online are all written by guys that only like the bold,rich smokey flavors and trash everything else.

mtbr member

Craggenmore 10-year or Glenmorangie 10-year would be my recommendation for something a wee bit lighter.
    Cheers!

beater

For a Highland, I like Mortlach. It's tasty, and most people haven't heard of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Nice thread. New to scotch. Went to an Irish festival a few weeks ago, bought some Glencairne glasses. Couple of Scottish guys shared some glenlevit. It was good. I enjoyed having a nice slow drink w/O all the bloat. So I have a few scotches at the house, all left by others. I don't like laphroig. Peat and smoke don't agree with me. Dewars was ok but not as good as glenlevit. Wondering if you guys have any recommendations on something smooth without peat or strong smoke. Or a source that I can check out
    A couple of ones I enjoy regularly. Abelour 12 yr, Highland park 12 yr, Dalmore 12yr. Whisky Advocate and Whisky magazine are both good reads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    thanks, i'll check those out. so far the Balvenie has been really nice. i want to find something with some contrasting flavors or at least noticeably different.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1