Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I <3 NM

Scotch Appreciation Thread

A thread for scotch whiskey, because a man can't survive on beer alone.

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnate View Post
    because a man can't survive on beer alone.
    BuLL SH!T!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'm always looking for a good scotch (or tequila) that is quality, but doesn't break the bank. Hard to do.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Have a bottle of Ardbeg Corryvreckan open now. It's pretty phenomenal.

If it's not cheating too much, I'm also into various American whiskeys. Willett's 5 year rye is terrific, and I've got a bottle of Black Maple Hill 16 year bourbon open too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    laphroaig quarter cask and lagavulin are two of my favorites.

NONDURO
    Lagavulin 16 year old single malt. Period… unless you know of someone that held onto a bottle of cask strength 25 year old Port Ellen for all these decades—I was fortunate enough to know what it tastes like at a private single malt tasting party back in 2010.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Got 2 bottles of port ellen stashed, not 25 but a 12 and a 15 yr old.

Beer Please!
    I thought we already had a Single Malt Thread, but I could not find it, here are some of my favs:

telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Lots of great Scotch noted above. I am an Islay whisky fan more than anything. Ardbeg, Lagavulin and especially Laphroaig. I'm sitting on one last bottle of the Laphroaig 15 and a bottle of Laph 30 that I received as a 40th birthday present. I don't consider myself a collector, but I still have about 30 Scotches in my cabinet including some independent bottlings.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    Lots of great Scotch noted above. I am an Islay whisky fan more than anything. Ardbeg, Lagavulin and especially Laphroaig. I'm sitting on one last bottle of the Laphroaig 15 and a bottle of Laph 30 that I received as a 40th birthday present. I don't consider myself a collector, but I still have about 30 Scotches in my cabinet including some independent bottlings.
    Mention the word of a single malt tasting, and I’ll research airfares to the east coast.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

love the Balvenie....
    39.5506° N, 107.3242° W

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I love the peat monsters like Talikser, Laphroaig, Lagavulin. I actually prefer Laphroaig 10 year over Quarter Cask, though I need to pick up another bottle of the latter to see if that's changed.

Balvenie makes some awesome stuff. I have a bottle of the 14 year Golden Cask, and although I've seen some less than stellar reviews, I love the hint of rum on the finish!

Would love to try that 21 year Port Wood, but alas, cheapest I've seen it is $240. Canada is a LOT more expensive than the states for alcohol. You Americans have it easy when it comes to the bevvies.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    Lagavulin 16 year old single malt. Period… unless you know of someone that held onto a bottle of cask strength 25 year old Port Ellen for all these decades—I was fortunate enough to know what it tastes like at a private single malt tasting party back in 2010.
    Lagavulin 16 definitely!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Oban 14 is an easy drinker.

For bourbons I go for Knob Creek.

Quiet Professional
    Glenrothes for me.Scotch Appreciation Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1356065819447.jpg

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scotch Appreciation Thread-uploadfromtaptalk1356065854943.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Great ideas on a few excellent scotches! So far haven't tried more than the Glenfiddich 15, Glenmorangie 10 yr and Quinta Ruban, Glenlivet 12 and a few blended scotches. But I do have a great whiskey recommendation that isn't found everywhere: Templeton Rye. Its a great rye whiskey that won't break the bank! Supposed to be the preferred whiskey of Al Capone.

beater
    Sounds like most of you have similar tastes. While I won't turn my nose up at Speysides or Highlands, if I'm spending my money I really prefer the western maritime malts. Mostly Islay malts (especially Laphroig and Ardbeg), but Oban, Talisker, and Tobermory will do the trick, too. And Springbank. Mmm. Springbank is a favorite. But I think that my go-to malt will always be Bowmore 12. It just ticks all the boxes.

My ex-wife is English, and her family didn't live too far from St. Ives (Cambs), where there is a fantastic liquor store that has a selection of Scotch I've never seen bettered, even by NYC's Park Avenue Liquors. This place also had dozens upon dozens of miniatures, even in the independents like G&McP. It was fantastic for tasting afternoons. The owner didn't even like Scotch; he just liked having that kind of selection. I miss that store.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Quiet Professional
    Miniatures are not widely available here. Wish i could try far more than i have.

ready to ride
    I'm honestly not a huge fan, well I should say I wasn't a huge fan. A little back story, for work I travel to Scotland about 3 times a year so when in Rome. The last time I was there, I went out and had an awesome dinner in Edinburgh. Afterwards I bellied up at the appropriately named Whisky bar. Started off with some beers but stuck up a conversation about scotch with one of the patrons. Well turns out he wasn't a patron but the owner. Long story shot too late I tried some that blew my mind.

Dalmore 18 was awesome, the Alexander III was beyond belief. It costs a pretty penny but I plan on bringing a bottle home with me when I'm over in January.

I just read the comment about Springbank. I have a bottle of that already. A bit too peaty for my taste. Admittedly I have the 10 yo so that may have something to do with it. Definitely prefer the Highlands.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

Rogue Exterminator
    More of an American Whiskey/Bourbon or Irish Whiskey guy.
    Canadians and Scotch Whiskeys are usually not my thing.

However, that bottle of Isle of Jura posted in a couple pics is probably the one Scotch I have ever had and actually liked.

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by chef7734 View Post
    Miniatures are not widely available here. Wish i could try far more than i have.

Next time you’re ambling about through London Heathrow, check out some of the “doodie-free” shops, as you will find some of the smaller bottle variety packs there.

I <3 NM
    The American Man's Scotch Pronunciation Guide
    Brian Cox, esteemed actor and proud Scot, sips his way through more than 40 brand names to help you out at the bar, the liquor store, and beyond

Scotch Pronunciation Guide - Video of Scotch Brand Names - Esquire
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post

However, that bottle of Isle of Jura posted in a couple pics is probably the one Scotch I have ever had and actually liked.
    Sounds like it's not scotch you're against but the islay scotches specifically. Fair enough - they are completely different beast. There are a lot of great smooth, low-peat options out there too. But you pay for it compared to an American Whiskey, that's for sure!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post

I have a friend who's a bourbon drinker, and who never really warmed to Scotch until he tried Highland Park. It has a distinctive vanilla note, like bourbon. That might be another worth sampling sometime.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My buddy thought I'd get gut rot since it's so cheap

It's actually very smooooooth.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast