Paper Mill Aleworks

Revisiting an old friend, and celebrating an anniversary

It's been a nostalgic, and celebratory past 24 hours, that is for sure.

Back in 1997 I took a job as a snowboard instructor at Camelback Ski Area here in PA, which was enjoyable on many levels...free riding, loads of great friends, meeting place of my future wife...and beer!

Down the road from the mountain, and a regular post workday watering hole for us of-age instructors/patrol, was Barley Creek Beer Co.

Cheap, and good food/beer was abundant, our cups runneth over

The family and I have been back a few times since, but it always fell short of what it used to be. The place changed hands a few times over the years, and went through menu (both food and beer) transitions, mostly for the worst.

We were over joyed to find that on this return, under a more stable management, and with an new (to us) head brewer...all was well again.

Not only has the food menu made a change for the better, but the beers have come back into their own, whether it me old recipes or new.

Sampler of: Old 99 Barley-wine, Dylan's Maple Triple Bock, Iron Arm Belg-Style Witbier, Vanilla Stout

Rescue IPA

Glad to have Barley Creek back as a true beer-centric brewpub.

Today was the 17th anniversary of Sly Fox Brewing, and it was celebrated with a beer/food paired brunch at their Phoenixville location.

Headbrewer Brian O'Rielly, and the chefs/crew from Shorty's Sunflower Cafe put together a wonderful multi-course menu for us.

10am Gathering with Saison De Cuivre

Pork Belly & Broiled Grapefruit Benedict
    on Homemade Honey Malt English Muffin
    w/ Broederlijke Liefde Brett Farmhouse (de Proef collaboration)

Red Curry & Shrimp Mussel Porridge
    w/ Odyssey DIPA

Sunny egg on toasted seed bread, baby
    greens, bacon mushroom dressing, homefries
    w/ JB's Coffee Porter

Zucchini Bread French Toast
    & Cheese Plate with honey drizzle
    w/ Christmas Ale

Finally, a toast with a first time brewed by Sly Fox style, surprise anniversary beer

Nihilist Russian Imperial Stout (Roasty, creamy, and a big 10% ABV)

Brian O'Rielly and the Shorty's Cafe crew

Overall, a great time. Met lots of new people, which is always a treat, and had some damn fine beer.

Prost!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Beer Please!
    Very nice write up! Looks like a great time with pairings. Thanks for sharing!
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Hi.
    Damn, that food looks awesome at Sly Fox. Thanks for the great write-up!