whatever she says gueuze.

Recommendations for Raleigh, NC area?

So, I'll be in Raleigh in a couple of months for 1 week for work and wanted to see if I can get some quality beer time in as well. I'll be staying at the Embassy suites Raleigh, by the airport, I'm guessing. We may have a car also but since I'm there for work, I can't venture out too far. If anyone has any recs on good beer spots, breweries, bottle shops, etc., I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Breweries in the Raleigh area are:

Big Boss
    Boylan Bridge
    Lonerider
    Natty Greene's
    Roth

Lonerider and Roth are going to be closest to the airport.

Decent bars with food from what I remember were Horniblow's, Flying Saucer, Red Monkey, and J. Betski's.

Could be others, but I either don't recall, or haven't been.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    ^ All good recommendations for sure. If you have some time, you can drive 20-30 mins southwest of Raleigh to a town called Fuquay-Varina and go checkout Aviator Brewing. They have a Taphouse in the old train station, and a Smokehouse (BBQ restaurant) across the street. They brew the beer right up the road from that as well and have a bar there too. I live nearby and absolutely love their beer.

Also Carolina Brewing Co. is nearby in Holly Springs but they only pour during their Free Tours every Saturday at 1pm, not sure if you will be here on a Saturday.

I live in Holly Springs and work in Raleigh so let me know if you need any other local insight. Enjoy your trip!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you're staying near the airport, this will likely be the closest bottle shop:
    Home | Wine Store Beer Store | Triangle Wine Co. | Morrisville Cary | Southern Pines Pinehurst | Wine Tasting Bar | Draft Beer Tap | Wine Classes | Craft Beer

However, if you are going towards downtown you can stop at Ridgewood Wine and Beer--they have 16 taps and a great bottle selection.

For downtown bars/restaurants, the Busy Bee is my favorite beer bar and their food is very good. The Raleigh Times also has good beer and food, and it always seems to be crowded. These two places are within walking distance of each other.

Tasty Beverage is a great bottle shop downtown in the Depot building. The great thing about Tasty is that it's right across the street from the Pit (eastern style bbq FTW). Some people will try to rag on the Pit and say that it's overpriced/overrated, but it's a Raleigh institution at this point. Take some coworkers with you and they will sing your praises. The Pit has good beer on draft too.

Lastly, you'll be here during hockey season (assuming the players ratify the CBA). They do have a Foothills Draft bar at the PNC Arena, so go drink some local beer and hang out with some Caniacs. And yes, we do tailgate hockey in NC, so you could even make some new friends in the parking lot.

Awesomeness! Thanks to everyone for all the valuable info. Besides all the tasty spots in downtown, I'll try to make it out to Aviator as well. Unfortunately, I have to attend seminars/training early everyday so drinking responsibly is a must.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    There is also a bar downtown Raleigh called the Flying Saucer that is the ultimate beer bar.

Which Embassy Suites are you staying at? There is one in Cary off Harrison Ave which is closest to the Airport, and then there is another in Raleigh off Glenwood Ave.

Looks like I'll be....

at the one at Brier Creek, close to Brier Creek commons shopping center. Work will be in Morrisville so I'm assuming I'll have a little free time after work everyday to check out stuff around that area. I may have a Friday or Sat to do some real beer scouting though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RoddyMcWolfenstein View Post
    There is also a bar downtown Raleigh called the Flying Saucer that is the ultimate beer bar.
    I used to go to the flying saucer at ton when I was in College at NC State, its got a fantastic selection of beers. However, its really loud inside, and its also a real yuppy atmosphere. The food has gotten worse and worse over time and the waitresses seem less attractive every time I go back. I don't recommend it unless its warm outside and you can sit on the patio.

After college I moved to less than a mile away from Big Boss Brewery. I love their beer, particularly the "bad penny". Cool atmosphere, a pub run on Tuesdays at 6:30 (or 7?), but alas, no food. Sometimes there's food trucks there during big events, but I wouldn't plan on getting dinner there.

In downtown Raleigh, I like the Raleigh Times and the Busy Bee. Both have great food and a decent selection of beer, but since they're downtown they're going to be a bit more expensive. They also get crowded late in the evening on weekends.

Near NCSU, there's a couple bars with decent beer selection and good food. These are Mitch's and The Players Retreat. Get a medium rare burger at the PR, and the prime rib sandwich at Mitch's. They don't have the same amount of taps as a place like the Flying Saucer, but they generally rotate through some good beers.

The main mountain bike trails are in Morrisville at crabtree park BTW. Just something to think about if one of your seminars ends early.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
    at the one at Brier Creek, close to Brier Creek commons shopping center. Work will be in Morrisville so I'm assuming I'll have a little free time after work everyday to check out stuff around that area. I may have a Friday or Sat to do some real beer scouting though.
    Staying @ Brier Creek area, you have both Roth Brewing & Lonerider Brewery within 5 minutes right off Glenwood.

There are lots of good restaurants and bars there at Brier Creek so you picked a good spot.

If you have all day on Saturday to kill and want to come down my way toward Holly Springs/Fuquay-Varina, I would highly reccomend you hit the free tour at Carolina Brewing Co. at 1pm, which is basically all you can drink for an hour or two. Then make your way down to Fuquay to Aviator. Depending on when you come, they have different events at the brewery and tap house such as live music, etc. The brewery does tours but you have to purchase the beer. Its worth it though as they do alot of limited edition brews, including barrel aging, etc. If you do come down, make sure you have someone capable of making the 40 min drive back to your hotel as the time and beers can get away from you pretty easy.

The new highway 540 (tolled outer beltline) is now open from Brier Creek to highway 55 in Holly Springs. You can make it to CBC from Brier Creek very smoothly now. Only a couple bucks in tolls, and much less aggravation than the other routes.

Have fun!