Paper Mill Aleworks

Recent Weyerbacher "Berwers Reserve" Release and Imperial Pumpkin Tasting

Not a huge "to-do", but Weyerbacher released their most recent Brewers Reserve NATO series brew this past Friday, and I was able to sneak away to attend.

Unlike a lot of their seasonal/one-off releases, this was pretty lack-luster. Which is fine with me, the less crowds the better.

The current release is X-Ray, a 6.7% robust porter.
    It's super smooth, with heavy aromas of roasted coffee and chocolate.

As with all Brewers Reserve releases, it's fairly limited production numbers only allowed for about 60 cases in total for sale at the brewery only. I believe a few kegs will be distributed locally as well.

While at the brewery, I snagged a case of X-Ray, and a few other goodies from their recent seasonal selections.

One of those others being their Imperial Pumpkin Ale, which is one of my personal favorite of the "pumpkin" beer monikers.
    Later that night, I decided to taste a 2011 and 2012 Imp Pumpkin side by side for fun, and boy what a single year makes!

The 2012 wafts of traditional pumpkin pie spices (clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.), where as the spice aromas of the 2011 have become muddled into a beautiful vanilla-clove nose, almost sherry like. The carbonation of the fresh 2012 was much higher than the 2011, which gave it a bit less smoothness, and enhanced the "bite" from the alcohol esters. The flavors remained very similar, but the earlier vintage carried wonderful balance, and I felt the 2011 the better all around of the two.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Hi.
    Nice post, as always

Was the X-Ray bitter as they describe? Not sure if they were going for a really hoppy porter, or just something good all-around.

Riserva should be released soon, right?

Good info on the Imperial Pumpking. That's one of my top two favorite pumpkin beers. Do you know if the recipe is the same as 2011?

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Nice post, as always

Was the X-Ray bitter as they describe? Not sure if they were going for a really hoppy porter, or just something good all-around.

Riserva should be released soon, right?

Good info on the Imperial Pumpking. That's one of my top two favorite pumpkin beers. Do you know if the recipe is the same as 2011?
    X-Ray is not that bitter...for my tastes anyway. If anything the bitterness comes through more from the roasted malts than hops.

Riserva will probably be early next year, February maybe.

As far as I know, the recipe is the same...if it ain't broke
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill