Paper Mill Aleworks

Recent NC/SC trip...and impromptu beerventure

About two weeks back I had the pleasure of returning to North Carolina (but not Asheville this time), mostly for work, but definitely for beer! I was working out of one of our offices in RTP, so I had plenty of time to get out and explore…and explore I did. Ten days and seventeen breweries!

Day 1 –

I arrived into Raleigh on Sunday afternoon, and immediately made my way to Natty Greene’s, for a flight and post-flight snack.

From there it was off to Trophy Brewing, a simply amazing and relatively new (2 months at the time) small brewery in downtown Raleigh. Great selection of well executed brews: Belgian IPA, Sage Gose, Apple Brandy Barrel-Aged Wee Heavy.

Day 2 -

Post work libations at Fullsteam Brewing, where a very helpful bartender directed me to an amazing small beer store for local bottles (Sam’s Quick Stop),then great burgers and beer at Bull City Burgers & Brewery.

The bartender at Fullsteam was also kind enough to let me sample a very limited release that had come and gone, but they had bottles stashed away for special occasions.

Day 3 -

Top of the Hill Brewery & Restaurant, which unfortunately was a restaurant first and brewery second (beers were just so-so), and Caroline Brewing Company in Chapel Hill…which totally made up for it.

Day 4 -

I had the great pleasure of meeting up with one of our own…monzie! We started off back at Trophy…I honestly could not get enough of this place.

Then we headed over to Raleigh Brewing Company…

…and we finished off the night at The Flying Saucer, a place I’ve never been too. I was in awe of the food and beer we had available to us, super cool place.

Day 5 -

Roth Brewing was literally 3 minutes from my office, and for being as small as they are, the beer was great.

From there, Lone Rider Brewing was just a short trip away. Really well done Euro-American style beers, and a pretty wicked mac & cheese food truck.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Day 6 -

This was Friday, so I left the office around Noon and headed down to Charleston, SC for a change of scenery.

Made it to Westbrook and Holy City that evening. Holy City is a smaller outfit, but had a killer set-up…band, great beers, festival atmosphere…and Westbrook, well, it’s Westbrook! Nothing short of amazing.

Even snagged a 32oz growler of their “Manuel Fantastico” barley-wine, to bring home.

Wrapped up the night, trudging out to a killer BBQ spot in a monsoon. Where I not only enjoyed the food, but great beer, including full pints of Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break!

Day 7 -

Made it a point to get up early, in order to check out historic Charleston, which was awesome. Then headed out to a very very new brewery (just about a month at the time) on a recommendation from the bartender at Holy City the night before.

Then headed over to Coast Brewing, which has been on my “to do” list for some time now.

After that, it was on to the next town…Charlotte, for the evening.

I arrived, and immediately went to NoDa Brewing, a place I’ve been to before, and have been itching to get back to.

Then over to Heist Brewing for dinner…and more beers.

Day 8 -

After a early night in Charlotte, an early morning trail run started my journey out of the city, back towards Raleigh. Via Winston-Salem, and Foothills Brewing of course.

Unfortunately, Sexual Chocolate was not on tap anymore, but they did have an amazing line-up that included a very tasty bourbon barrel-aged stout.

A slow, sight-seeing drive back into South Raleigh, I decided to head just about due south to Fuquay-Varina and Aviator Brewing for dinner.

Day 9 was a rest/relax/detox day, and I left the following morning.

Amazing trip, with amazing beer, and great company.

I managed to snag a few bottles to bring back as well, as I sent down my 12-pk styro shipper ahead of me. Boy was it difficult to keep it to twelve, so much though, the thirteenth ended up in my checked luggage.

Just a few…

Not pictured are a few Westbrook/Coast large format goodies, the NoDa bottle seen prior, as well as the Holy City growler seen before.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Beer Please!
    Awesome trip!!!!!

BTW - I found a bottle of that Dark Hollow in NYC at the Beer Distributors store in Soho, and brought it home with me.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Love the unfiltered look of those Trophy beers. They look amazing.

whatever she says gueuze.
    Awesome, mainly because I'll be in Raleigh/Durham this Saturday for work. I'll be there for a week. Looks like I'll be adding some more places to my list of beer stops. Where would you recommend going for a good selection of bottles to take home? These are the ones that I was told to check out:
    Bottle shops:

Triangle wine company
    Tasty Beverage Company- 327 W. Davie St., Raleigh (across street from the Pit)

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
    Awesome, mainly because I'll be in Raleigh/Durham this Saturday for work. I'll be there for a week.
    Trophy, Trophy, Trophy...it's an absolute must!

Where would you recommend going for a good selection of bottles to take home?
    Look no further than Sam's Quick Stop...seriously! (Sam's Quik Shop | North Carolina's Favorite Craft Beer Store)
    It's very unassuming, gas station/car-wash/general store...beer Mecca.
    If you can, go during lunch, and Chubby's is just a stones throw away (Chubby's Tacos | Durham NC | Raleigh NC). Killer tacos!

whatever she says gueuze.
    Thanks! Would you recommend stopping at Big Boss and Lonerider, in addition to Trophy and Fullsteam?

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Thanks! Would you recommend stopping at Big Boss and Lonerider, in addition to Trophy and Fullsteam?
    Yes, all of them are great. Raleigh brewing is not far from Trophy as well, and turns out some decent stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    If you're in the area on a Saturday, check out Carolina Brewing Company's tours. Free beer and a tour of the brewery. (Note that I've not lived there since 2007 so I am not sure they still do this)

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by marvthegrate View Post
    If you're in the area on a Saturday, check out Carolina Brewing Company's tours. Free beer and a tour of the brewery. (Note that I've not lived there since 2007 so I am not sure they still do this)
    Yes, they do, 1pm on Saturday's...as do a few others.