mtbr member
    Nov 2012

rear derailer hanger mount bolt snapped on 2012 specialized rockhopper comp29

I just found the bolt that holds the rear derailer hanger on my bike,and went to tighten it and it snapped.As I was gently snugging I noticed that it did not seem too bite down and give me a positive fastening,like other bolts on the bike and I was tightening very gently,so I removed the bolt and checked the threads and everything and they we're fine.

I went to install the bolt again,and snugged it till t stopped and then went to give it a firm snugg and the bolt snappedI foundnthat this bolt is aluminum with a hollow center.Are these bolts made to just lightly snugg down,as I went to tourq it it seemed to keep spinning ,not stripped but it seems to be a very fragile bolt

Any way,I can't seem to find a replacement bolt,as it seems to be a special boltWhat csn I do to fix my bike?

Can I use a regular bolt and does anyone know what size please?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench420 View Post
    I just found the bolt that holds the rear derailer hanger on my bike,and went to tighten it and it snapped.As I was gently snugging I noticed that it did not seem too bite down and give me a positive fastening,like other bolts on the bike and I was tightening very gently,so I removed the bolt and checked the threads and everything and they we're fine.

I went to install the bolt again,and snugged it till t stopped and then went to give it a firm snugg and the bolt snappedI foundnthat this bolt is aluminum with a hollow center.Are these bolts made to just lightly snugg down,as I went to tourq it it seemed to keep spinning ,not stripped but it seems to be a very fragile bolt

Any way,I can't seem to find a replacement bolt,as it seems to be a special boltWhat csn I do to fix my bike?

Can I use a regular bolt and does anyone know what size please?
    Good thing you posted in the beer forum cause it sounds like you need one!!! Sounds like you need to take a trip to the lbs and the 711

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Lol...yeah my tablets acting up,after I posted I went to beginners corner to find my post,and I couldn't,so I then went to my user cp and found it in the beer section..lol,so I then went to click on beginners corner again and although it is highlited and I can see it visably gets clicked,beer corner ends up loading instead,I tried to move my post but couldn't so I had to make another.

I actually don't drink at all,I just could never stand the taste of even the most faint traces of alchahol...lol..I bought a case of Grolsch on my 21 birthday and my buddy and I polished it off and then went to play paintball