Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rare Beers

Beer Please!

Rare Beers

Cool List on this site:

20 of the most coveted craft beer releases in America | Matador Network

I have tried a few. I am not sure waiting in line for hours on end is worth it for one beer.... But I do like the way Alesmith is doing it with the online order, brewery only pickup option.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Interesting list.
    I guess in this age of internet communication, the ltd edition stuff is all the rage.
    I'm sad that the rare beers of Europe aren't that big a deal anymore.
    Disclaimer: I say this as a man w/ a beer fridge stuffed full of old Samiclaus, Hardy's and Harvest Ales with verticals going back to 1986. So... sour grapes, if you will.

That said, I did try to keep up w/ the whole "limited edition" craze. I blame Deschutes. I know I waited in line for Abyss. But then after a year or two, it seemed like more and more brewers realized what a cash cow unique and ltd release beers were. Then they came fast and furious. I finally gave up.

mtbr member
    all of these beer unicorns are a little ridiculous.. that said, i bought an extra bottle of troeg's splinter gold this past weekend for the purpose of trading. i won't typically go out of my way to get a "rare" beer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    All I want here in the states is "real" Hefenweisen (or however its spelled); not the watered down crap that we have. The real stuff still has yeast inside of it

mtbr member

Re: Rare Beers

Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuyOnABike View Post
    All I want here in the states is "real" Hefeweizen (or however its spelled); not the watered down crap that we have. The real stuff still has yeast inside of it
    FIFY, and I agree. The likes of Circus Boy, Whistling Pig, and other American imitations, are tolerable, but weak representations of the style.

I just found a local market that carried a Herrmannsdorfer hefe that was quite nice, and
    have some German friends that get authentic stuff.

It's a great style, and grossly underrepresented here. I'd give up a dozen IPAs for a good hefe.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    All I want here in the states is "real" Hefenweisen (or however its spelled); not the watered down crap that we have. The real stuff still has yeast inside of it
    The Gordon Biersch/Trader Joe's branded stuff is pretty decent, imho.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by jennydaniels View Post
    Hi, I live in Singapore. Recently I shifted there with family. I have tried Asahi black beer, which having AWESOME taste.
    If you are living in Singapore, then surely you are familiar with Baron’s Extra Strong Beer. I had it when I was there back in August-September 2012 (unfortunately missing out on the Formula 1 GP street race by a few weeks) and got used to drinking several of them every day while there. I wish I could get it here in the USA, but it’s not for export.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Hi.
    German hefeweizens are distributed all over the US. Paulaner, Weihenstephaner and others should be pretty easy to find at whatever craft beer stores are nearby.

Rare Beers

Cool to see a couple of Hoosier beers on that list. Haven't managed to get my hands on any of the beers on the list just yet though.

mtbr member

Rare Beers

The best "rare" beer is Pliney the Younger, only available in the Russian River Brewery a few weeks every year.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by JHart94949 View Post
    The best "rare" beer is Pliney the Younger, only available in the Russian River Brewery a few weeks every year.
    I was able to purchase some at my local Whole Foods earlier this year… or was it last year, I don’t recall now, but it was right around the time of the release of it.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It will sour after two weeks, no way to get that here in the U.S., you have to make the trip to Germany...my favorite Wheat, Vetter Bier...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I was able to purchase some at my local Whole Foods earlier this year… or was it last year, I don’t recall now, but it was right around the time of the release of it.
    No offense Leopold but unless you bought a vile of it out of the back of some dude's van in the parking lot, you did not buy Younger at Whole Foods.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    No offense Leopold but unless you bought a vile of it out of the back of some dude's van in the parking lot, you did not buy Younger at Whole Foods.
    Black Market Younger? Wouldn't surprise me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Black Market Younger? Wouldn't surprise me
    I know it''s getting real in the Whole Foods parking lot and all but not that real.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
    It will sour after two weeks, no way to get that here in the U.S., you have to make the trip to Germany...my favorite Wheat, Vetter Bier...
    Please explain to us why this beer will sour after two weeks in the bottle?
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    I could have sworn… either that or it was at one of Francois’ bikes-n-beer parties. Having kids will make you lose your mind— mine is probably lost and gone forever… however, I do remember that although the Younger was a limited release, I actually prefer the taste of the Elder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I could have sworn… either that or it was at one of Francois’ bikes-n-beer parties. Having kids will make you lose your mind— mine is probably lost and gone forever… however, I do remember that although the Younger was a limited release, I actually prefer the taste of the Elder.
    Someone might have had a growler from the brewery but I don't believe they've done growler fills of Younger for at least a couple years. It's never been bottled.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Please explain to us why this beer will sour after two weeks in the bottle?
    I don't know?, the Brewer told us it would sour within two weeks, when we wanted a few bottles to take home to Steinwenden (Wife's Oma)...we bought two, and one week later, went to drink a bottle and it was sour, just as the Brewer said, the other however was still good, not taking any chances I drank it all...lol...
    Good question, I'm going back next year and will ask why, it soured similar to milk would sour...

If you read here it specifically states at the bottom of each description: "These beers do not age well."
    BeerTutor: Wheat Ale Styles
    saw somewhere it was due to Low PH...Fresh beer is the best for sure...

BUT this Vetter beer was a Wow! to drink, one of the best if not the best beer I have ever drank...cloudy/murky...heavy but refreshing...excellent with Bread, Meat and Cheese served on a log slab plate: "0" Carbs...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If you read here it specifically states at the bottom of each description: "These beers do not age well."
    BeerTutor: Wheat Ale Styles
    saw somewhere it was due to Low PH...Fresh beer is the best for sure...
    Just because Hefe's "do not age well" certainly doesn't mean they will sour in two weeks. That's fragility on a level most brewers would be embarressed by.

Hell, I'm not even positive that IS a Hefe-Weizen... but if it is, you might want to seek out Schneider Weisse or Ayinger's Ur-Weisse. Both are dark and thick and, of course, "proper" German Hefe's. Sure- they won't be as fresh as what you had there, but they're still pretty damned good.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    Just because Hefe's "do not age well" certainly doesn't mean they will sour in two weeks. That's fragility on a level most brewers would be embarressed by.

Hell, I'm not even positive that IS a Hefe-Weizen... but if it is, you might want to seek out Schneider Weisse or Ayinger's Ur-Weisse. Both are dark and thick and, of course, "proper" German Hefe's. Sure- they won't be as fresh as what you had there, but they're still pretty damned good.
    Thanks RRR, will do just that...I figured being unfiltered and extra cloudy was the reason for the poor drinking life...

Hi.

BUT this Vetter beer was a Wow! to drink, one of the best if not the best beer I have ever drank...cloudy/murky...heavy but refreshing...excellent with Bread, Meat and Cheese served on a log slab plate: "0" Carbs...
    Is that Vetter from Heidelberg? I was there and tried a strong dopplebock - something like 10.5%. It was amazing!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Is that Vetter from Heidelberg? I was there and tried a strong dopplebock - something like 10.5%. It was amazing!
    Yes, thats the place…great city and great hiking…going to rent a cabin there for next year and a bike or either ship my Neo Jumper over with me...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks RRR, will do just that...I figured being unfiltered and extra cloudy was the reason for the poor drinking life...
    I've had hefeweizen in Mainz that had been in the fridge for several weeks and it tasted fine. My hosts there preferred kristallweizen which left plenty of hefe for me. Interestingly, there was no other style of beer locally available at that time of year (June).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've not even tried one of these beers, which sucks! I love european beers, I'm from the UK, but haven't tried many American beers as we don't get them here
    Biking lover from the UK.

Yes I am boring enough to run a website about Bread Machines. What of it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast