K&K

RANGER - New Belgium

Hops makes me hoppy

mtbr member
    decently priced IPA. i like.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Me and the wife both agree it's our favorite beer! Hands down...Love this brew!

CDK
    mtbr member
    Try their double called rampant! It as well is reasonably priced

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Rampant is the way to go, IMO.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I like the rampant, but not the ranger. Personally, I think O'Dell's is far superior .I'm spoiled though living in FoCo

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Love me some Ranger. Rampant is good too but I am more of a Ranger fan.

MMS
    mtbr member
    I wanted to like the Ranger...but like most NB beers it was sorta weak in my opinion. The Rampant is the first of their beers that I've liked in a LONG time.
    I'm having more FUN than anybody!

CDK
    mtbr member
    Rampant, trippel, porter and 1554 are my fav NB
    I think others taste good and are smooth but are "weak" (summer helles, snapshot)

MMS
    mtbr member
    Not trying to bag on anyone's choices, but to ME, NB and Sam Adams are both sorta Craft Posers.

CDK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMS View Post
    Not trying to bag on anyone's choices, but to ME, NB and Sam Adams are both sorta Craft Posers.
    I can respect peoples opinions but those two companies are VERY different in every way

MMS
    mtbr member
    I'm speaking only of quality output. Not business practices, political leanings, or anything other than the quality of product.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I'm speaking only of quality output. Not business practices, political leanings, or anything other than the quality of product.
    i actually don't buy new belgiums beers really, but if La Folie or le Terroir is on tap i definitely will buy it. Some of their sours are among the best. But Ranger, its a generic grassy IPA.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Had a Fort Fun shootout with a Ranger up against an Odells IPA last week. Both tasty brews. Odells was the winner. I just wish Odell would start canning it + put sell 1/6bbl kegs.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Biopace View Post
    Had a Fort Fun shootout with a Ranger up against an Odells IPA last week. Both tasty brews. Odells was the winner. I just wish Odell would start canning it + put sell 1/6bbl kegs.
    I wish Odell's Beer was available in SoCal.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Every time I break down and buy a New Belgium beer, I'm sorta disappointed. Every time I break down and buy a Sam Adams beer, I'm really disappointed. I keep telling myself, never again, but then Sam Adams will come out with something new, like their West Coast IPA. I've reached for it in the grocery store a couple of times, but then my common sense kicks in.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

MMS
    mtbr member
    ^ Yes! That's what I meant!

Flew Southwest a couple of weeks ago...wanted an in flight beer (free drink coupon)...NB Fat Tire was the only option other than a light or a Corona. I nearly turned down a free beer. Nearly.

That being said...I'll swear till my dying day that NB "dumbed down" their beer when they went wide market. I had a Fat Tire in Crested Butte on a ski trip, before they went big...it was a MUCH better beer than what's out there now.

Beer Please!
    That being said...I'll swear till my dying day that NB "dumbed down" their beer when they went wide market. I had a Fat Tire in Crested Butte on a ski trip, before they went big...it was a MUCH better beer than what's out there now.
    I am pretty sure they have not changed the recipe. I think what has happened for a large number of people is that they have tried so many better beers since they first had a Fat Tire that when they go back and try it again they are disappointed. NB made a big deal about Fat Tire being their flagship brew when I Toured there a year ago and said they would never change it for fear of losing customers. I think that your Pallet and the pallet of many other Craft Beer drinkers has just become much more refined over the years. Quality control and consistency is very important to a company as big as NB.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

MMS
    mtbr member
    You may be right. Beer has only gotten better since then.

Readin & Postin since '02
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Every time I break down and buy a New Belgium beer, I'm sorta disappointed. Every time I break down and buy a Sam Adams beer, I'm really disappointed. I keep telling myself, never again, but then Sam Adams will come out with something new, like their West Coast IPA. I've reached for it in the grocery store a couple of times, but then my common sense kicks in.
    I'm with ya, but I gotta say, the Rebel IPA is actually pretty good. NB Ranger is a drinkable IPA, but not real high on my list. I was hesitant to try Ranger the first time because I just don't like the Fat Tire.

At the end of the day though, I'm in Sonoma County and for beer, we're pretty spoiled up here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Another vote for Rampant.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I'm with ya, but I gotta say, the Rebel IPA is actually pretty good. NB Ranger is a drinkable IPA, but not real high on my list. I was hesitant to try Ranger the first time because I just don't like the Fat Tire.

At the end of the day though, I'm in Sonoma County and for beer, we're pretty spoiled up here.
    So I picked up a Rebel IPA at the beer store because I only had to commit to one bottle. Not bad. Perfectly acceptable. If I was ever in a store with only a few IPA's on the shelf, I'd pick up a sixer. Still not in the conversation with good West Coast IPA's though.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Readin & Postin since '02
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    So I picked up a Rebel IPA at the beer store because I only had to commit to one bottle. Not bad. Perfectly acceptable. If I was ever in a store with only a few IPA's on the shelf, I'd pick up a sixer. Still not in the conversation with good West Coast IPA's though.
    I concur.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Speaking of west coast IPAs, a tip of the hat to Henry Weinhard's surprisingly good IPA I had a couple of years ago. It was priced at their normal $5.99 or so for the six. I haven't seen any IPAs from them for a while but worth a try if you see one.

NDD
    mtbr member
    This seasonal pale ale, NB put out, the Tour de Fall, is pretty tasty. I find most pale ales relatively disappointing, because the first one I had was a Schalfly pale ale (St. Louis). This one I'm drinking now comes close to the Schlafly, but not quite there.

My impression of ranger IPA was meh. I got it in a sampler pack. Some of the other ones in there were pretty daggum good, but their wheat beer is totally meh. It's week. NB can be hit or miss, but for me it's worth it, because either way I'm holding a cold beer and it's better than a Bud Light.