Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Beer Me!

The Quest for Obama's Beer

Looks like Mr. President brews a Honey Ale.

Beer Geeks Determined to Unlock Obama's Home-Brew Recipe - Politics - The Atlantic Wire

Here is the petition to get the recipe
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...house/XkpkYwc0

I am a little curios myself, as to how good this beer may actually be.

(PLEASE NOTE: in keeping with forum rules lets focus this on the brew and not the politics)
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Looks like Mr. President brews a Honey Ale.

Beer Geeks Determined to Unlock Obama's Home-Brew Recipe - Politics - The Atlantic Wire

Here is the petition to get the recipe
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...house/XkpkYwc0

I am a little curios myself, as to how good this beer may actually be.

(PLEASE NOTE: in keeping with forum rules lets focus this on the brew and not the politics)
    It's a very interesting color and he's seen drinking it from a small glass so I'm thinking something fairly concentrated in flavor. Wonder what Mitt's beer is? Oh wait never mind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Quest for Obama's Beer-obama-beer.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Why can't someone just file a request using the Freedom of Information Act?

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Ha! Good luck Jon

People have been on the hunt for this recipe since the Superbowl of 2011, which I think was the first time of was revealed at the White House Superbowl party.

It's brewed by one of the head chefs at the White House, and uses honey, which is hived on property.

Supposedly there is a "light" and "dark" version of the brews, the light probably being the honey ale. Not sure about the "dark" though.

I even have a buddy whom works for the Secret Service on White House property, and have asked him (half jokingly) to snag me a few bottles or the recipe...no luck unfortunately.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Signed the petetion - hopefully they will release the recipes. I'd like to brew a batch to have ready for the election.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Retired User

Puro Vida!
    Have a coworker who was putting in all the phone lines at the Fairmont prior to his arrival-said he saw a bucket full of Bud Light and Heineken on ice in his room. I think every time he comes to town-something like 50+ phones lines need to go to his room.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Scenario A. Obama had nothing to do with the brewing process yet takes all the credit. He's really good at taking credit for things he had nothing to do with.

Scenario B. He is actually spending the hours upon hours it takes to brew your own beer. Doesn't he have more important things to worry about? If you accept a position with a lot of responsibility you have to sacrifice your hobbies to perform well.

Smells of a tactic to get people to associate with him more. Hey yall see I'm just like you yuk yuk....vote for me I brew beer too!!!!! Just like you!!!! And bottling? Corn sugar ruins a good beer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I love how that article says "The brewski's honey comes from Michelle Obama's garden beehive on the south lawn". Yet a 2010 article from whitehouse.gov says

"When White House carpenter Charlie Brandt told some of First Lady Michelle Obama’s staff about his latest hobby in beekeeping, Chef Sam Kass was quick to ask him if he knew how to make honey that could be used in the White House kitchen. Fortunately, not only did Brandts know how to make the honey, but he also had a spare beehive at home that he was happy to donate to the White House. Now Brandt is the White House’s official beekeeper tending a hive of approximately 70,000 bees near the new Kitchen Garden".

I guess they both like to take credit for things they didn't do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Schlopooke - please use caution. And, thanks for the information - but you are treading dangerously close to politics.
    We try and keep politics to a minimum in the beer forum (and MTBR as a whole).
    Thanks for staying on topic - BEER!
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

Paper Mill Aleworks
    08-28-2012 04:18 AM - jerk off with Barry and your buddy also
    At least sign it sweetheart

To Schlopoke's comments...without getting too political.
    I think it's really the media that has dubbed this "Obama's beer", when in reality neither he nor his administration has taken no such claim to it's inception or recipe ownership.
    I thought it was stated fairly clearly that this was created and brewed by one of the White House chef's, and use honey from the White House grounds.
    Although it seems you may have your own gripes and preconceived notions regardless of actual truth, so don't let it stop you
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Beer Me!
    08-28-2012 02:16 AM FY for bringing up a topic with that *******s name even
    Looks like most of us in this thread are getting pinged. Wonder who did it Should I just asked to get this thread deleted? I guess I did skirt the issue a little to close to politics.

I was mostly pointing out how its nice to see ANY president; regardless of their stance/viewpoints, brewing beer.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Looks like most of us in this thread are getting pinged. Wonder who did it Should I just asked to get this thread deleted? I guess I did skirt the issue a little to close to politics.

I was mostly pointing out how its nice to see ANY president; regardless of their stance/viewpoints, brewing beer.
    Immaturity reigns sometimes, hard to get around that unfortunately.
    Thankfully (so far anyway), whomever this child is has kept their opinions to reps, and not blown up the thread.

I see nothing wrong in pointing out the relationship between the story and a beer focused forum sub-group.

Stand strong Jon!

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Immaturity reigns sometimes, hard to get around that unfortunately.
    Thankfully (so far anyway), whomever this child is has kept their opinions to reps, and not blown up the thread.

I see nothing wrong in pointing out the relationship between the story and a beer focused forum sub-group.

Stand strong Jon!
    Haha, not worried about my rep, just wondered if this was to much troll bait to be kept on topic. I guess we can let it go a bit longer see what happens.

Its pretty sweet that honey from the whitehouse was used. I am hoping to get a bee hive up in our yard in the next couple years. Maybe I can do the same.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I aplogize for getting slightly political. But bottling? Really? It's night and day when compared to a keg. mmmmmmm beeeeeer.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    Schlopooke - please use caution. And, thanks for the information - but you are treading dangerously close to politics.
    We try and keep politics to a minimum in the beer forum (and MTBR as a whole).
    Thanks for staying on topic - BEER!
    It's given that some folks will reflexively try to denigrate anything related to the current U.S. president no matter how wonderful it is like a hand crafted small batch beer. If politics is verboten how about religion? Mormons are forbidden from drinking any alcohol by official doctrine. If you care about the commander in chief being able to hoist one occasionally with family and friends think about that.

Why don’t Mormons drink coffee, tea, or alcohol? What is the Mormon Church’s law of health and proper diet?

Our body is a precious gift from God. To help keep our bodies and our minds healthy and strong, God gave a law of health to Joseph Smith in 1833. This law is known as the Word of Wisdom (see Doctrine and Covenants 89:1-21).
    In addition to emphasizing the benefits of proper eating and physical and spiritual health, God has spoken against the use of:

• Tobacco.
    • Alcohol.
    • Coffee and tea.
    • Illegal drugs.

God promises great physical and spiritual blessings to those who follow the Word of Wisdom. Today, the scientific community promotes some of the same principles that a loving God gave to Joseph Smith nearly two centuries ago.
    Seems like they're actually at least 10-20 years behind the science. We know that excessive tobacco and alcohol use can easily promote cancer and other disease but the polyphenols and other good stuff in coffee and tea can easily promote health in most people. Same for at least one plant based "illegal drug" I can think of.

mtbr member
    I am very curious about his brews and really would like to try a few. Although I am not a huge fan of the guy but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't jump at the opportunity to sit down and have a beer with him. Same goes with a GW and mountain biking.
    Signature

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlopoke View Post
    Scenario A. Obama had nothing to do with the brewing process yet takes all the credit. He's really good at taking credit for things he had nothing to do with.

Scenario B. He is actually spending the hours upon hours it takes to brew your own beer. Doesn't he have more important things to worry about? If you accept a position with a lot of responsibility you have to sacrifice your hobbies to perform well.

Smells of a tactic to get people to associate with him more. Hey yall see I'm just like you yuk yuk....vote for me I brew beer too!!!!! Just like you!!!! And bottling? Corn sugar ruins a good beer.

He doesn't brew his own beer. He never said he did. And he pays for out out-of-pocket, so don't worry about your tax money.

JFryauff, keep trying - you're closer than anyone else here for getting a bottle!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    He doesn't brew his own beer. He never said he did. And he pays for out out-of-pocket, so don't worry about your tax money.
    Exactly.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Soon to release according to the internet...

I am Barack Obama, President of the United States -- AMA : IAmA

Obama says the recipe will be released soon.

*snip*
    [–]silent1mezzo 842 points 1 hour ago

What's the recipe for the White House's beer?

[–]PresidentObamaObama[S] 1186 points 57 minutes ago

It will be out soon! I can tell from first hand experience, it is tasty.
    *snip*

mtbr member
    The White House has released the recipes.

Ale to the Chief: White House Beer Recipe | The White House

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Awesome - PetFotografer beat me to it - I got an email from the WH with the recipe today...

It WILL be on tap for election day.

No complaints about it being an extract/mini-msah recipe. I doubt the WH staff has time to make AG.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by PetFotografer View Post
    The White House has released the recipes.

Ale to the Chief: White House Beer Recipe | The White House
    What details can the resident brewers tell us/translate for us about this recipe? What are the beers likely to be like?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    What details can the resident brewers tell us/translate for us about this recipe? What are the beers likely to be like?

My estimation:
    Both are going to be fairly true to English style beers.
    The Honey Ale could easily be called an an ESB. Probably not too far from Redhook ESB in taste.
    The porter will probably taste like any generic English porter. Probably a good example of the style...

Both recipes look quaffable...
    My $0.02 - your mileage may differ.

I'm hoping to get time to brew them this week (though, I am going to have to settle for local Idaho wildflower honey as I can't get WH honey).

Will report back on the beers after the election party!

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    My estimation:
    Both are going to be fairly true to English style beers.
    The Honey Ale could easily be called an an ESB. Probably not too far from Redhook ESB in taste.
    The porter will probably taste like any generic English porter. Probably a good example of the style...

Both recipes look quaffable...
    My $0.02 - your mileage may differ.

I'm hoping to get time to brew them this week (though, I am going to have to settle for local Idaho wildflower honey as I can't get WH honey).

Will report back on the beers after the election party!
    Interesting, thanks. I think I could definitely enjoy those brews.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast