Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pumpkin beers

mtbr member

Pumpkin beers

It seems to be that time of year. At least it is around here. I'm seeing more and more pumpkin brews popping up in local stores. Tonight I had a dogfish head punkin and it was a very solid brew. I have a few cigar city good gourds put back and I'm looking to get some southern tier pumking when it hits stores.

Anything else worth grabbing up? Do you have a favorite or must try beer in this style?
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    grabbed the sam adams fall harvest pack. their pumpkin beer was unpalatable to me. so spiced and gross imo. i don't really like spiced beers though.

mtbr member
    Pumpkinhead Ale from Fernie Brewing, small batch production, sells out fast, only in a few places in Western Canada...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    To me pumpkin ale is something to drink when the leaves are changing not the middle of August. It seems to me at least that seasonal brews are coming out earlier and earlier each year. Maybe it is just one brewery trying to get a jump on the others but it is a turn off for me.

My favorite pumpkin ale was my very first one I tried, North Hampton (MA) Brewery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum Jones View Post
    It seems to be that time of year. At least it is around here. I'm seeing more and more pumpkin brews popping up in local stores. Tonight I had a dogfish head punkin and it was a very solid brew. I have a few cigar city good gourds put back and I'm looking to get some southern tier pumking when it hits stores.

Anything else worth grabbing up? Do you have a favorite or must try beer in this style?
    We have had ST Pumking on shelves for 2 weeks now in Daytona.We get DFH next week.I suggest you try Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin or Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin.Mike
    Yes dear I've been in the woods,look at the blood

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinoak View Post
    We have had ST Pumking on shelves for 2 weeks now in Daytona.We get DFH next week.I suggest you try Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin or Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin.Mike
    I'm up in jax and no pumking?!?! Wtf?
    I've seen the shipyard around. I'll give it a shot. I'll keep my eye out for the weyerbacher.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

Hi.
    I think Pumpking is overrated. It's very sweet, and doesn't contain enough pumpkin flavor for me. I've made a pumpkin ale that beat out Pumpking in a few blinded taste tests for that same reason - people thought ST's beer didn't have enough of the pumpkin flavor.

I agree with smokinoak about the Weyerbacher suggestion. Definitely the best pumkin ale I've had to date.

And for those looking to make pumpkin ale at home...be warned: it's a huge PITA!

Weyerbacher Imperial
    DFH Punkin runs a distant second.

ST Pumking is decent, but extremely sweet. It's probably Southern Tier's big bottle release that I'm the least impressed with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    And for those looking to make pumpkin ale at home...be warned: it's a huge PITA!
    Huh? It really isn't much more trouble than AG. Make wort, start to boil, add roasted pumpkins. No need to mash pumpkins, they are made out of fruit sugars.... Though, everyone has a favorite way to make pumpkin ales. If you are worried about starch haze, make a darker wort...

Bonus - If you like pumpkin pie, collect the pumpkins from the boiled wort - simmer/or roast again to dry them out some, then make a pie. (too much moisture causes pumkin pie to not turn out right - experience speaking)

I've been making 'em for years - my wife just loves the stuff. Me, meh, not a fan of pumkins....
    Last edited by debaucherous; 08-27-2012 at 01:08 PM.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    If you really want to try some pumpkin beers, head up here to Seattle in October:

Elysian Annual Great Pumpkin Fest

Elysian has been running the festival for 5 or 6 years now, and it has grown to 3 sessions and thousands of people. There are 60 pumpkin beers from more than 25 breweries, including a festival tradition, a version of their Night Owl ale that has been conditioned inside a gigantic pumpkin. Many of the beers are actually drinkable...though the pumpkin-conditioned one is usually not one of them...

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    Huh? It really isn't much more troube than AG. Make wort, start to boil, add roasted pumpkins. No need to mash pumpkins, they are made out of fruit sugars....

Bonus - If you like pumpkin pie, collect the pumpkins from the boiled wort - simmer/or roast again to dry them out some, then make a pie. (too much moisture causes pumkin pie to not turn out right - experience speaking)

I've been making 'em for years - my wife just loves the stuff. Me, meh, not a fan of pumkins....
    Adding pumpkins only the boil is decent, but I feel that it doesn't impart enough flavor (based upon my last few pumpkin homebrews). I keep my pumpkins in the boil and then the primary, which adds flavor and headaches when siphoning to the secondary.

Last time I made the mistake of pureeing the roasted pumpkin flesh (roasted with brown sugar and maple syrup) which made siphoning a huge PITA. I pureed because the consensus over at homebrewtalk is that pureeing makes for better flavored beer. The siphon kept getting clogged, and it was hard to avoid oxygen contamination. I don't have a conical fermenter so dealing with 6 inches of trub/puree is a pain. At least the beer tasted awesome!

Hi.
    And I know it's not exactly a pumpkin beer, but The Bruery's Autumn Maple is a pretty delicious fruit beer perfect for Fall. From their site:

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

An awesome 10.5% beer that's great to share with a friend. If you can find an older bottle of the Barrel-Aged version of Autumn Maple, GET IT. Delicious.

Hi.
    And continuing on in this thread, Cigar City's Good Gourd (Imperial Pumpkin Ale) and Midnight Sun's Treat (Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter) are two other excellent pumpkin ales that are more well-rounded than ST's Pumpking.

I've heard great things of Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale, but I haven't tried it yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    And I know it's not exactly a pumpkin beer, but The Bruery's Autumn Maple is a pretty delicious fruit beer perfect for Fall. From their site:

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

An awesome 10.5% beer that's great to share with a friend. If you can find an older bottle of the Barrel-Aged version of Autumn Maple, GET IT. Delicious.
    There is only one place in town that has any Bruery beers and they have to drive across the state to get it. I picked up a mischief and saison de lente. I'm excited to try them out, but they have to wait their turn haha. That autumn maple sounds delicious.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    The bruery Atumn Maple is soo good, Southern Tier does a damn good pumpkin beer called pumking...
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum Jones View Post
    There is only one place in town that has any Bruery beers and they have to drive across the state to get it. I picked up a mischief and saison de lente. I'm excited to try them out, but they have to wait their turn haha. That autumn maple sounds delicious.
    At least you can get Good Gourd! That's in my top 5 for sure!

Digital Toast
    I had Fat Jack, Double pumpkin the other day. Not bad. It did seem to have a over the top molasses taste thou.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think someone already mentioned the Shipyard...it is a must have, I loved every ounce of it. I am not sure if you get it down there but look out for Shlayfly's Pumpkin Ale was very good as well, the spices are more pronounced than most others I have had.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A couple of more months before we should be talking about pumpkin brews.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyon93108 View Post
    A couple of more months before we should be talking about pumpkin brews.
    Except that they're being brewed now and released next month. Just like how Valentine's stuff replaces the Christmas decorations at the store.

mtbr member
    I picked up some weyerbacher imp pumpkin today. I passed on the pumking.

I got some more Bruery beers today too. A Saison Rue and Trade Winds trippel. My collection is getting rather ridiculous
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Jolly Pumpkin La Parcela is my favorite. Great sour with a hint of pumpkin. Wonderful. I was at Cigar City yesterday and had some fresh, draft Good Gourd.

Not to hijack, but they had a fresh batch of Zuhkov on tap with a nitro pour. Freaking great.

mtbr member
    I'm really hoping to try some Saint Arnold's Pumpkinator this year. It's a pumpkin stout, which sounds pretty interesting to me. I have to time my trips to Texas to try to find it. Anyone ever had any?

Saint Arnold Brewing Company - Pumpkinator

mtbr member
    What about Averys Rumpkin,always hear good things about it.Never had it,would like too.
    Yes dear I've been in the woods,look at the blood

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you can find it, treat yourself to Southern Tier's Pumpking.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast