Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pliny the Elder

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Pliny the Elder

Always wanted to try this beer! Who has had it and is it really that good?

Hi.
    Pliny is kind of a big deal around here. Yes, it's awesome.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It's pretty amazing.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Pliny is kind of a big deal around here.
    Yeah...kind of...

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Meh...

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    It seems like it is always on draft around southern california.... I am sure you could be friend someone from southern california,and could send you a bottle for a trade....
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Anyone want to trade me some Pliny for Heady-Topper? I can get Heady any time, but I've never seen Pliny for sale in Vermont. It would be interesting to try, though I'm kind of expecting it to be over-hyped.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I've never really been that impressed with elder. I was in san francisco last month and got the freshest bottle I've ever had - 20 days old. Still wasn't that great.

I think Heady is on a whole other level. So freakin delicious.

Beer Me!
    Jafstl38 What state do you live in? there are ways to try it, though they aren't always legal. Pliny is somewhat difficult to obtain if you do not live in California (and for that matter it can be hard to get in California) thus the extra hype.

Elder is one of the few beers that lives up to its hype IMO, it is very very very good. There are competitors like Mercenary (Odell Brewing) and Scalpin (Ballast Point) and Hop Slam (Bells) all of which are very good beers. IPA's and Double IPA's are styles that are very dependent upon the drinkers preferences and tastes.

I do not think that Younger lives up to its astronomical expectations. Also good, but man; talk about small supply and epic demand.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I've never really been that impressed with elder. I was in san francisco last month and got the freshest bottle I've ever had - 20 days old. Still wasn't that great.

I think Heady is on a whole other level. So freakin delicious.
    There are quite a few beers brewed on the West Coast that I think many of us would prefer to Elder.

Kern Citra, Alpine Pure Hop or Bad Boy and Boneyard Hop Venom are all beers I would rather drink than Pliny.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Pliny is far overhyped. I think its a phenomenal beer but nothing I'd go out of my way for. There are so many brews I'd put in front of Pliny and the fact I think Pliny is great just shows how much I appreciate other world class IPA's.

Now, if anyone wants to trade Heady Topper for anything Surly has out right now, sign me up!! I'll trade all day for Heady.

whatever she says gueuze.

Yep.

I agree. Here in SoCal, PTE is pretty easy to get....meaning about 3 bars withing a 20 minute drive will have it most of the time. If I had to choose though, I'd much rather have a Dugana or a Sculpin. If anyone's been out to Long Beach, there's a BBQ spot called Beachwood that brews some amazing IPA's....some of the best I've ever had, IMO.
    If I come across a bottle soon, I'll get in touch with you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
    I agree. Here in SoCal, PTE is pretty easy to get....meaning about 3 bars withing a 20 minute drive will have it most of the time. If I had to choose though, I'd much rather have a Dugana or a Sculpin. If anyone's been out to Long Beach, there's a BBQ spot called Beachwood that brews some amazing IPA's....some of the best I've ever had, IMO.
    If I come across a bottle soon, I'll get in touch with you.
    I also prefer Sculpin, but they are both good.

mtbr member
    Sculpin for me.
    My wife however, loves Pliny.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Don't think we can get it in AK. =/

mtbr member
    I think it's pretty darn good. But pretty hard to get in CO, so tough to do any head-to-head tasting.

I think there may be a bunch of double/Imperial IPAs that would give it a run for its money, but I can't confirm or deny.

I'm really digging Marble's Double IPA right now...but there are a LOT of big IPAs to choose from at the moment. If you haven't had it, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

mtbr member
    Pliney is a very good beer. Maybe not the best, depending on your personal taste, but it does taste like a very well brewed and balanced beer.

I think the hype gets some people. If you had no idea what it was and randomly picked it up with low expectations, you'd probably be blown away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JChasse View Post
    I think it's pretty darn good. But pretty hard to get in CO, so tough to do any head-to-head tasting.

I think there may be a bunch of double/Imperial IPAs that would give it a run for its money, but I can't confirm or deny.

I'm really digging Marble's Double IPA right now...but there are a LOT of big IPAs to choose from at the moment. If you haven't had it, I wouldn't sweat it too much.
    It's easy to get if you go to Argonaut. It's there all the time lately.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by willapajames View Post
    Anyone want to trade me some Pliny for Heady-Topper? I can get Heady any time, but I've never seen Pliny for sale in Vermont. It would be interesting to try, though I'm kind of expecting it to be over-hyped.
    I'll trade - check your PM.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    I'll trade - check your PM.
    willapajames is a good trader
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Its pretty delicious and is my "must buy" beer whenever it's in stock (which isn't that often).

Elitest thrill junkie
    There are quite a few over the top over-hopped Imperial IPAs that are ultra-sharp, very bitter, and just not forgiving. It's like drinking gasoline. There are a few that are full and rich and have a balanced flavor, despite having so much hops. You can build a race car for 50-60 grand that goes as fast or faster than a 911, but it won't have the total package like a 911 will, only the raw power and road-holding.

This is why I'm such a fan of Belgian abbeys, trippels and the like. So rich and flavorful, many times I'm blown away that a beer can taste like this. That's what I get from a Pliney.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If you like your beer hoppy w/ citrus undertones Pliney the Elder is fantastic. I've acquired such a liking to this style of beer I have a hard time drinking anything else anymore. One you might also try that is similar is Stone's IPA, which should be available all over MO. and one that's going to be a lot harder to find, but if you're traveling you might look for Diamond Knot's Industrial IPA. The Holy Grail is getting you hands on Pliney the Younger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Pliny is an awesome beer and better than most other great IPAs, but only by a slim margin. But if you get the chance definitely dont pass it up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Call me ASAP 925-719-7213 - Lets do a trade... i can get fresh Pliney and blind pig less than a week old. The last Pliney i had was 4 days old. Please share the Love ! :-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast