Thread: Pliney again

whatever she says gueuze.

Pliney again

So the time is here again for the 11th iteration of the Younger. I guess it was released last Friday at the brewery. I'm sure it was madness as always. As for me, I've been a loyal follower until last year due to the fact that it has become a pain to seek it out and wait in line or fight for tickets, etc. My opinion, it's not worth it for an 8oz pour but many will disagree. Well, here is SoCal, 38degrees will get it on Feb. 21st. Other tweets will come in so stay tuned. The usual recipients around LA will likely be Daily Pint in Santa Monica (tickets), Lucky Baldwins- all 3 locations (tickets), Fathers Office (first come), Naja's (usually way late).

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    stone brewing co bistro had it on tap today. No lines or tickets... I knew about it before, but they announced it at 3pm today for a 5-7pm pouring. Busy but no lines.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    I once waited for it when Encinitas Ale House had a keg. It was cool getting to have it side by side with Plinius Secundus. Younger is better than Elder, but not worth waiting in line for, certainly not worth buying a ticket for it....

Funny how most pronounce it as PINEY with an L, PLINEY, but in reality it is derived from the word plinius which is pronounced PLIN not PINE.... and it is spelled PLINY not PLINEY.

Pliny the Elder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    I always thought I had it wrong by pronouncing it plin-ee when everyone else says ply-nee. Good to know!

I like beer.
    Jul 2010
    elder is a very good brew, no doubt about that; although in recent weeks it seems as if people are going a little far and putting it on a pedestal of its own.

ive never had the younger though, i would like to try it some day; but with all this crazy over it, it wont hurt me if i never get there... sooo many other good breweries out there that have been keeping me busy..

Yes, it's tasty but I agree, there's plenty great beer out there that's easily attainable. You just don't get bragging rights like PTY. If someone has stood in line for 2 hrs and paid $10 for a taster (1 allowed), of course they're going to say it's like god's nectar. I remember years ago when you'd go into Lucky Baldwins in Pasadena and have as many pours of the Younger that you can handle. Now, you show up hours early and stand amongst hipsters and frat boys and beer snobs.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    "Secret" keg showed up at Toronado Seattle this week -- gone in 2 hours...

Quote Originally Posted by ZubairAliSahil View Post
    This paper is offered to my former tutor both in deep gratitude and in answer to a challenge. When as Camden Professor he was encouraging me in my project for a historical commentary on the Letters of Pliny, he remarked that with the available evidence the problem of the date of Pliny's praetorship did not appear to be capable of definite resolution. This is an attempt to decide the matter, partly by a fresh examination of the evidence and partly by the production of a new argument.
    WTF...are you talking about? We're talking about Pliny the beer brothaman.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
    I think he said he was at this bar once and a secret keg of Pliny came on tap and he and his bro's totally crushed it while they sent their girlfriends home for their growlers.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    I still can't get used to you Americans calling them "growlers", even more so when you talk about sending girlfriends home for them!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    I still can't get used to you Americans calling them "growlers", even more so when you talk about sending girlfriends home for them!
    Ha! And I have no idea what you're talking about. Still funny. British sense of humor I guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    And I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Better check Urban Dictionary....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Better check Urban Dictionary....
    Pretty sure an educated guess has me in the ballpark.

Readin & Postin since '02
    Jul 2006
    The Blue Heron, in Duncan Mills had it for a few hours on Friday afternoon. They were serving full pints. I remember the first two.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ndinh View Post
    Spam post, DO NOT CLICK that link in his sig, that is all the spammer wants.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ZubairAliSahil View Post
    This paper is offered to my former tutor both in deep gratitude and in answer to a challenge. When as Camden Professor he was encouraging me in my project for a historical commentary on the Letters of Pliny, he remarked that with the available evidence the problem of the date of Pliny's praetorship did not appear to be capable of definite resolution. This is an attempt to decide the matter, partly by a fresh examination of the evidence and partly by the production of a new argument.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    i just brewed a pliney the elder clone and honestly, I think its better.. for about $60 I got 5 gallons of the stuff.. I find the price of good beer to absurd these days so this is my solution.
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    You certainly can't beat the value of homebrew, but I certainly wouldn't consider good beer to be "absurdly" priced, and here's why; What's in my beer? | Stuff.co.nz
    The article is based on NZ prices so there may be some stuff like tax that is different in the US, but it does give you some idea.

Instead of asking why good beer is so expensive, perhaps we should be asking why shit beer is so cheap?

a dad
    Jan 2004
    not always absurdly priced.. I don't mind paying 10-12 bucks for a nice six pack.. but the harder to find stuff is usually that much for a bomber.. and I usually am disappointed..
    BBZ

mtbr member
    I must agree that as my homebrewing gets better I find myself less impressed with the beers I pay money for. Especially the big hoppy stuff, you just can't beat it when it's only a couple of weeks old and bursting with fresh flavour!

banned
    Sep 2012
    The local brewery I had lunch at yesterday had Elder on tap and often does... Yes, I had one. Then I noticed their phone kept ringing and I heard the bartender tell the guy on one phone call that people start lining up at 5am. Everyone was calling because they were having Younger on tap today. Maybe if I had the day off I'd go to try it but Elder is just fine and the house IPA they make is pretty dang good too.

Edit - You can see Elder on the board from the pic I took yesterday.

Pliney again-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    The local brewery I had lunch at yesterday had Elder on tap and often does... Yes, I had one. Then I noticed their phone kept ringing and I heard the bartender tell the guy on one phone call that people start lining up at 5am. Everyone was calling because they were having Younger on tap today. Maybe if I had the day off I'd go to try it but Elder is just fine and the house IPA they make is pretty dang good too.

Edit - You can see Elder on the board from the pic I took yesterday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	129.9 KB 
ID:	965606
    IMO elder>younger

younger is WAAAAAAY overhyped. obviously get the younger if you get the chance but don't wait in line/buy tickets to try it.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    I must agree that as my homebrewing gets better I find myself less impressed with the beers I pay money for. Especially the big hoppy stuff, you just can't beat it when it's only a couple of weeks old and bursting with fresh flavour!
    this is so true...
    BBZ