Beer Please!

NYC Beer Trip 2013

A few weeks ago I went back to NYC for an extended weekend. My wife was working at a trade show in the City, so I flew out to take advantage of a free hotel room in midtown to make for a brief but cheap vacation. Being a fan of the craft I turned it into mini beer-cation of sorts.

Took the Red eye from San Diego on a Thursday Evening, arrived in the big apple early Friday morning. After a nice nap I stopped in at little Belgian Place called "Market" an had my first beer of the trip, Steen Brugge Dubble Bruin;

Then I met a friend for lunch at her office, It was really cold so I stopped for a cup of coffee at this little place on Houston Street and had one of the best decaf americano's of my life:

(no beer, but still brewed.....)

Next Stop the Whole Foods in SOHO to grab a few beers on my way to Dumbo to visit another friend who has just moved out to Brooklyn from Socal that very week. We shared a few of the beers I picked up at his place:

We also had a barrel aged dobblebock I found, but I failed to get a picture of it or even remember the name of it.

On Saturday I was busy with some friends in the morning, and then spent some time in Midtown in the afternoon hunting down some east coast only Whiskey for a friend who collects. It was snowing pretty hard, and the street were full of drunk morons celebrating St. Patties Day. I did manage to find a cool but expensive little beer store inside of Grand Central Station, and my most exciting buy there was actually a insulated growler holder that can hold two standard Growlers, or a bunch of bottles. The beer was a bit over priced since their main clientele are train patrons about to go for a commute home who have no where else to grab a brew to take on the train. Besides a small craft beer selection they had 5 taps for growler fills.

That night we had dinner with some family at Keen's Steakhouse in Midtown, Established in 1885. Here is a shot of a cool thing mounted on the wall above our table:

Now Sunday is upon us, an entire day put aside for beer tasting.

I met up with jFrauff for a quick beer trade, and then we were off to Brooklyn. After breakfast we started towards Torst, but they were not quite open yet so we stopped in at some dive bar since we could see they at least had Brooklyn Brew on tap:

Then came Torst, the new Beer Bar in Green Point Brooklyn that is part owned by Jeppe from Evil Twin Brewing, so you just know the tap list is going to be out of this world, and it was.
    for the 21 taps they have a pressure and temperature control machine lovingly referred to as the Flux Capacitor. This device is able to control tap pressure and temps on each individual line so each beer can be poured and served exactly as the style demands. Amazing. Josh and I were the first customers and besides having a few glasses, we were able to sample quite a few others:

The Flux Capacitor in all its glory:

Some Shots of the bar area:

And the beers:

Jolly Pumpkin Bamnoire, kinda a sour brown style, very good.

Evil Twin Danbic Cranberry - now this was a true sour beer, very very good.

Evil Twin Even More Jesus. Chocolate Stout brewed on a 6 hour boil. This was a major winner in my book, dark, rich malty and thick. 12%.

More info on Evil Twin Brewing here: HOME - Evil Twin Brewing

After Torst we took a Subway, which coincidentally was shut down in part of the area we wanted to go and had to walk to another station to finish our ride up to the north end of Queens, and then a short walk later we ended up a new brewery in the City called Singlecut. The thing i found most interesting is that Singlecut is not using 2-row as its base malt, but rather is going with the more expensive Maris Otter for most beers as well as Golden Promise. They had six beers on tap, but only 5 in a flight, so between myself, Josh and my Friend Mike we were able to try them all.

I felt the Milk Stout was the best, the IPA's were not very hoppy (I am too used to West Coast IPA Styles), but nothing was bad. I guess my pallet has evolved to where I am only impressed when I try something that is exceptionally good... Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

The tasting room while small is very nice, and they had an upper level where we got some live music. I also picked up a t-shirt because I wanted a T that has the crazy Robot/fermenter thing on it. Here are some pics:

Front door.

Me, Mike, Josh.

After this we went back into the City to pickup my wife and then back to Brooklyn to get dinner at what had to be one of the coolest BBQ places I have ever been. Fette Sau Fette Sau BBQ

I had a beer or two at Fette Sau, but I really do not remember what it was, I was too interested in my amazing Brisket. Hipster Central, but worth it.

Monday brought on a new adventure since it was the only day my wife did not have to work, and having late afternoon flights we had some time to play.

We started with breakfast in Noho at a cool little hole in the wall place called Mud.

After breakfast we picked up a few more bottles of beer at New Beer Distributors in SOHO.

Then we walked to McSorely's, the Oldest Pub in NYC having opened in 1854.

At this pub they serve light or dark beer, and one order gets you two small mugs, so I had one light, one dark.

And queue the Sepia Tones to give the old timey look:

Next we stopped in at BXL ZOUTE back up in midtown before we had to grab our bags to head to the airport. There are more than one BXL in the City, but they theme everything belgian. Besides some Belgian Classics, they had a "BXL" beer which was a Belgian Style Dubble made by Ommegang.

What a great Beer-Cation.

The take home spread across three bags.

telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Nice recap Matt!
    Great hanging with you guys, it was a blast.
    I could have stayed at Torst all day
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Wow! Nice report and pics. JFryauff...looks like I'm coming out to Philly in October. I'd be down to meet up.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Wow! Nice report and pics. JFryauff...looks like I'm coming out to Philly in October. I'd be down to meet up.
    Let's do it!
    Shoot me a PM when you have the details, and we'll sync up.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Hi.
    Wow, awesome write-up, looks like you guys had a great time! I was in Chicago and did a bit of beer hunting last weekend, but nowhere near as epic as your trip to NYC. Well done .

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Nice recap Matt!
    Great hanging with you guys, it was a blast.
    I could have stayed at Torst all day
    Thanks, and I agree, next year I might plan one day for Torst, that place was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Hungus View Post
    Wow! Nice report and pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Wow, awesome write-up, looks like you guys had a great time! I was in Chicago and did a bit of beer hunting last weekend, but nowhere near as epic as your trip to NYC. Well done .
    Thanks!
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

~~~
    Great stuff! I really enjoy visiting NYC whenever I get the chance.

turtles make me hot
    I've been working in this city for 30 years and had no idea there was such a rich history of beer here.
    I like turtles

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I've been working in this city for 30 years and had no idea there was such a rich history of beer here.
    well, you have to go to McSorely's at least once in your life.

turtles make me hot
    It's on the list. Thanks.
    I like turtles