mtbr member

Not actually BEER but...

I started my first liquor infusion on sunday and its now beet roasting for 3 days. Has anyone else done one? I used a half gallon of Bacardi, 8 sliced apples (4 different varieties as I'm born and raised in the Great State of Washington), and 6 cinnamon sticks. It is currently the color of apple juice and smells like apple pie. I''m planning to put it through cheese cloth to strain either tomorrow or Friday (4 or 5 total days)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not actually BEER but...-wp_000265.jpg  

Not actually BEER but...-wp_000269.jpg  

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    3 things that come to mind :
    Watermellon + funnel + wodka.
    Oranges + syringe + wodka.
    And perhaps a bit more classy, a bottle of port upside down in a whole Stilton cheese.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yap, we've made cucumber vodka and tequila, serrano pepper vodka and tequila, and bacon bourbon.

We make a 10 Miles of Bad road with the pepper infused liquor, with simple syrup, Poom and lime. It's really only about 5 mile when you drink it. The other 5 miles comes later...

We make all kinds of drinks with the cucumber vodka. I personally like sour, cran and cucumber vodka. It's soft and sweet.

The bacon bourbon is good for bloody marry's.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Never done it before, as I'm not really one for liquor, but it seems like a great idea.

Oh, and this...
    and bacon bourbon
    ...sounds awesome!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe4soul View Post
    The bacon bourbon is good for bloody marry's.
    As a substitue for the selley i presume ?
    In that case, it provides a good counter balance to the tomatojuice.
    2 kinds of veggies in a alcoholic drink, why ??

Hi.
    We infused some vanilla beans into some vodka a while back to use in cocktails. We forgot about the beans and after a while the whole bottle turned into vanilla extract, which we now use for cooking.

Aside from that, I've done many fruit-infused beverages over the years (particularly in high school and college.) Variations of jungle juice, or injecting liquor into fruit were the most common.

Retired User
    Black pepper vodka for Bloody Marys

mtbr member
    I used to make habanero martinis. I infused the chilis in vodka and used that as my "vermouth." It was a bit extreme.

mtbr member
    I think my next one will be another fruit medley, I really like the idea of cherry and pomegranate for some reason. Those two keep coming back to me.

After that I think I'm going to attempt the veggie/chilli pepper route.

Anyone have additional pictures to back up their claims?

mtbr member
    I’ve infused a few things,.mostly vodka. (only used Ketel One)

My favs were
    Add about 1/3 cup of granulated sugar and add two cups of dried:

Pineapple/mango
    Or
    Kiwi/lime
    Or
    Madrine/lemon

After mixing let sit (mixing one a day) for three weeks. Then put in freezer for about an hour…pour into a shot glass and prepare for a bad morning….lol I found I prefer the lighter colored fruits ability to infuse better than the darker fruits.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    We infused some vanilla beans into some vodka a while back to use in cocktails. We forgot about the beans and after a while the whole bottle turned into vanilla extract, which we now use for cooking.

Aside from that, I've done many fruit-infused beverages over the years (particularly in high school and college.) Variations of jungle juice, or injecting liquor into fruit were the most common.
    I've got some vanilla beans infusing into a bottle of rum for the past three months.....only gets better.
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by X-FXR View Post
    I've got some vanilla beans infusing into a bottle of rum for the past three months.....only gets better.
    We used about 7 beans in 500 ml of liquid. After about a year, it was vanilla extract. Pretty awesome, but unfortunately it was too strong to drink as "vanilla vodka." Can still add it to drinks, though!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My coworker infused some of his homemade moonshine with apples and cinnamon. It was delicious.

I've done bacon infused Crown Royal using bacon grease. Had a nice smokey, bacon-y taste but left a greasy feeling in your mouth. Next time I will try infusing it with the bacon itself.

Retired User
    Quote Originally Posted by bob82pigdog View Post
    My coworker infused some of his homemade moonshine with apples and cinnamon. It was delicious.

I've done bacon infused Crown Royal using bacon grease. Had a nice smokey, bacon-y taste but left a greasy feeling in your mouth. Next time I will try infusing it with the bacon itself.
    Doesn't the grease just separate and create a layer on coagulated gunk on top of the Crown?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wbmason55 View Post
    Doesn't the grease just separate and create a layer on coagulated gunk on top of the Crown?
    It does coagulate. You just pour the slightly cooled (so it doesn't break the bottle) beacon fat into a bottle, pour the bourbon in on top and put it in the freezer over night, and then strain the bourbon back into the original bottle which leaves the fat out. Pure beacon flavor minus the fat. Simple and good... I'm sure this would work with any other liquor. We serve it in the Bloody Mary's garnished with a crisp cold piece of beacon.

Rogue Exterminator
    Funny that this trend seems to be taking off more and more.

Of course, we have been doing this with shine for ages.

Strain?
    Just drink.

BTW, some fruits are tasty after they have been soaking and some are just nasty.
    However, you have to try them all at least once.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'll just stick to beer

mtbr member
    Well we drank it (quite heavily) this weekend. Good stuff, dangerously good. My girlfriend and I woke up with severe headaches. It goes down so smooth and sweet that you forget the proof has not changed during the infusion. I think we drank almost a half gallon between 3 of us in about 3 hours.....

Lesson learned there but the process works great so the next one I will be a bit more cautious. Also it will probably be something less sweet so it is either uesd in specific drinks or is still harsh enough to refrain from gulping it.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    My gf makes 10 pepper tequila every now and again. Makes killer margaritas and bloody marias.

Get a few jalapenos, few habaneros, few serranos, couple finger peppers, cram them in the bottle and wait a week or two. Taste every few days and strain when you're happy with the heat - it will only get hotter with time.

It's really easy to make your own spiced rum - get some good aged rum, add some cinnamon sticks, anise star, nutmeg, cloves, etc and let soak for a while.

Cucumber gin is always a hit. Watermon/basil vodka also great. Coffee grinds can infuse great coffee flavor into whiskey or vodka. A friend has an informal competition every year for her birthday where we all bring infusions to her family cabin and see who has the best combo. We all win by getting drunk and having a great time.

Mango/pineapple/habanero rum has been on my to-do list for infusions for a while now. As has a maple coffee whiskey (I'm weird and like maple syrup in my coffee instead of sugar).

Little sister used to make Skittles vodka in college - ends up the colors of skittles with all the artificial flavor - literally just soak skittles in your liquor of choice and strain out to drink. Fun for parties but not sure if I'd keep it around for regular consumption.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChad View Post
    I'll just stick to beer
    me too)) haha