mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Nitrogen widget in stout

So I've got a 4pack of Young's Choc Stout in a can. And it came with a nitrogen widget inside.

I noticed when I took the 4pack out of the fridge today that the bottom of all the cans are convex, not concave like a normal can. The beer appeared to pour normally, with a 3/4 glass head that slowly formed into a 1/2in permanent head. It's slightly "fizzy", but nowhere near what a CO2 based beer would beer. It's definitely not flat.

Is this just a case of the ball inside letting out the CO2 during say the ride home and should I even be concerned?

Hi.
    No concern needed - the widget makes it taste like a cask beer. It's supposed to be less carbonated than regular CO2 beers because it adds to the creamy effect.

Guinness, Boddington's, etc all use nitrogen widgets/balls and it has the same effect on those too.

mtbr member
    The softer carbonation given by 'beer gas' is more appropriate for English style beers. If you ever have an opportunity to try beer hand pulled through a beer engine, TRY IT!! Delicious!!
    The best example I have tried is at Brewer's Union in Oakridge Oregon. All of their beers are hand pulled and served at cellar temps.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    +3 enjoy. Also old speckled hen. Delicious!