Beer Me!

Nitrogen Pressure Chart?

Anyone got a partial pressure chart for Nitrogen and Temp?

I want to do a nitro stout this winter, and want to get a nitro setup, but I am having trouble finding the good ol fashoned graph for nitrogen like there is for CO2. Talking actual "nitrogenation" not "beer gas". Any other info on the subject would be welcome.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Carbing with CO2, then dispensing with Nitro?
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    I had a stout done that way last week. very nice. texture of the head was perfect.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    This is the way you have to do it - Nitro doesn't dissolve in the beer the same way CO2 does. I believe at minimum you need 25% CO2 if you wanted to try and do it, but I can't find any pressure charts other than the solubility of nitrogen gas in water.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    This is the way you have to do it - Nitro doesn't dissolve in the beer the same way CO2 does. I believe at minimum you need 25% CO2 if you wanted to try and do it, but I can't find any pressure charts other than the solubility of nitrogen gas in water.
    Correct, you'd carb normally to about 2.1-2.5 CO2/Volume, then dispense on upwards of 25-30psi of nitro through a stout faucet.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Beer Me!
    Is this what is done with nitro pub beers like Guinness and Bodingtons? I really want that extra creamy head. Seems like local nitro beers vs. beers like Guinness tend to have different heads and foam, though they are both nitro. The local beers tend to be "on nitro" as in served with it, where Guenness is carbonated with nitro? Thoughts?
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Is this what is done with nitro pub beers like Guinness and Bodingtons? I really want that extra creamy head. Seems like local nitro beers vs. beers like Guinness tend to have different heads and foam, though they are both nitro. The local beers tend to be "on nitro" as in served with it, where Guenness is carbonated with nitro? Thoughts?
    Yes, usually through a pre-mixed "beergas" or on-site blending of CO2 and N2O.
    Chances are, the local beers you prefer the head/mouth-feel of are being served at the proper temperatures, where most macro taps are served too cold. Serving pressures may differ as well.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Plus...Guinness kegs are shipped with N2O already dissolved in them, so if they are not diffusing the gas into the other nitro served beer, to equilibrate the beer with the mixed gas if may change the pour. For better or worse, I cannot say. Some places will simply begin serving the carbonated beer with a mixed gas, because proper absorption takes some time.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    This is a pretty good reference from Micromatic. They claim 38psi for Guiness, FWIW.

The local welding supply house where I get my kegerator CO2 sells a standard "beer-gas" 75/25 CO2/N20 mix as well. Haven't tried putting on a nitro beer at home yet 'cause of the additional equipment (i.e., taps).