Beer Please!

A night of Barrel Aged Stouts

On Friday night this weekend some friends and I got together to share some of the more rare Barrel Aged beers we have been saving. There was 7 of us, and we shared this beer over the course of 5 hours along with some great food included a roasted Lamb that was incredible.

The stage is set:

First up, Hess Brewing Torulus;
    Hess Torulus Barrel Aged Rye Imperial Stout (Unblended) - 85 at RateBeer

I wish I had two bottles so I could try this again after some further aging. A very good example of what a barrel aged beer should taste like, but not notable enough to make anyone say WOW.

Second, The Brewery Smoking Wood:
    Smoking Wood Rye Barrel Aged - The Bruery - Placentia, CA - BeerAdvocate

I had actually tried this beer a few days before not knowing it was going to be part of this evening. Deep rich smoke and oak on the nose. Slight heat on the tongue with rich chocolate finish. Worth the twenty bucks, top of my list for barrel aged beer. Smoked Imperial Rye Porter aged in Rye Whiskey Barrels. Fantastic!

Third up, Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout);
    Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) - Founders Brewing Company - Grand Rapids, MI - BeerAdvocate

I really enjoyed this one, but nothing about it stood out among the rest.

Fourth, 2007 The Dark Lord from Three Floyds;
    Dark Lord Imperial Stout - Three Floyds Brewing Co. & Brewpub - Munster, IN - BeerAdvocate

The text on the bottle was pretty funny too:

This was not a Bourbon Barrel aged beer, but it held its own in this crowd. Deep rich and oily this beer left legs on the glass of a deep brown sheen, I can only imagine what a barrel aged version would taste like. After watching this video:
    Schedule - Limited Release
    I have a feeling I will never be part of the festivities to pick up a bottle of my own. A friend of mine got this in a trade a number of years ago, and I was glad he saved it to share with us. If this beer was made on a larger scale and more readily available I would make it one of my go-to beers, and share it with as many people as I could. Possibly my favorite of the night.

Fifth, Goose Island 2009 Bourbon County;
    Bourbon County Brand Stout - Goose Island - Chicago, IL - BeerAdvocate

Fan-Tas-Tic! This was very very good and a top contender of the evening. According to the brewer this beer could age up to 5 years before being consumed, I guess we made it almost to 4 years in the cellar.

Sixth, AleSmtih 2012 Speedway Stout Aged in Bourbon Barrels;
    AleSmith Speedway Stout - Barrel Aged - AleSmith Brewing Company - San Diego, CA - BeerAdvocate

This was the first time for everyone at the table to try this beer. I have had regular speedway stout a number of times and frankly the coffee is almost too strong, not so in this fine beer. The aging in Oak did some amazing things to both calm the coffee flavors down and make for a great balance. Now I wish i had sprung for the max purchase of the beer and got 4 of them, perhaps the brewery will have a few left at the end of the month if people do not claim them and I can get one more......

Seventh, Firestone Walker 15th Anniversary;
    Firestone 15 - Anniversary Ale - Firestone Walker Brewing Co. - Paso Robles, CA - BeerAdvocate

Not a stout, my friend was planning on bringing a 16th anniversary and found this in the back room at a Bevmo, so we took a moment to enjoy a slight shift in flavor profile for this one. A very very good beer. Firestone's ability to blend so many beers together to get something like this is akin to how the Whiskey guys make blended Scotch. Pretty amazing.

Eighth, Firestone Walker Parabola, Batch 002;
    Parabola - Firestone Walker Brewing Co. - Paso Robles, CA - BeerAdvocate

Very good stuff, I have 3 bottles of the 2012 batch aging in my cellar right now.

Ninth and final, Victory at Sea Imperial Porter (also not barrel aged):
    Victory At Sea Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter - Ballast Point Brewing Company - San Diego, CA - BeerAdvocate

So, this was not planned on, but it was after midnight and we had already finished all the stuff we planned on trying when our host pulled this out as a night cap. One of my favorite beers of all time it was a fitting addition to an amazing evening.

Here is our final bottle shot:

I hope you enjoyed the pictures and review as much as I enjoyed tasting them.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Awesome line up!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Hi.
    Really solid man. Great pics and descriptions. Looking forward to the next one

mtbr member
    Nicely done. I'm hungry for prosciutto now.

mtbr member
    Great report!!

One to look for, for future use, would be North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin Anniversary XV. My current favorite barrel aged stout.
    I can't get enough of it.
    I can't afford enough of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Great report!!

One to look for, for future use, would be North Coast Brewing's Old Rasputin Anniversary XV. My current favorite barrel aged stout.
    I can't get enough of it.
    I can't afford enough of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I love Old Ras Both regular and barrel aged, but you are right it is expensive considering it is not bottled in a 750ml bottle like many others are.

Beer Me!
    Diddly dang!!! That is one stacked lineup! Thanks for sharing!
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nice lineup. The Speedway Stout is one of my favorites. I almost picked up a Smoking Wood while at Total Wine to get some Westy 12. I think I will pick one up today. Your missing some Hunahpus and/or Marshall Zhukov. If you need any, let me know, maybe we can work out a trade.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbakes View Post
    Nice lineup. The Speedway Stout is one of my favorites. I almost picked up a Smoking Wood while at Total Wine to get some Westy 12. I think I will pick one up today. Your missing some Hunahpus and/or Marshall Zhukov. If you need any, let me know, maybe we can work out a trade.
    I like that idea!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ive been trying to respond to your pm but not working for some reason. My email is mbakes@me.com.

mtbr member
    did you get a chance to try the vietnamese coffee speedway stout?? what did you think if you did. it is awesome to see hess bottling, one of the most under rated.
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    I'm jealous! Haven't been able to get me hands on the Gooselake. A selection for the gods!
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    "yeah, she's fat, but you'd take her for a ride."

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Have you had the Oak Aged Yeti from Colorado? That stuff will kill you on tap!

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfan View Post
    Have you had the Oak Aged Yeti from Colorado? That stuff will kill you on tap!
    I have a bottle of it in the fridge, need to pull it out and give it a try.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well done!