mtbr member

New England beer lovers. Advice please.

I live on the West Coast. In a couple weeks, I'll be in the Berkshires, Pittsfield, MA specifically, to see family. I probably won't be able to get around to any of the breweries, but there's a beer store worth hitting in Lenox, MA. I'd like to get my hands on some Heady Topper, but I don't even know how available it is in stores. So my question is: What New England beers should I be on the lookout for in the beer store? I like IPA's, stouts, and porters, but drink everything.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    sadly, heady topper is really only available in waterbury vermont. probably a 4 hour drive from pittsfield. berkshire brewing company makes some pretty good beer. also try magic hat, and harpoon.

check out the old forge in lanesboro, i highly recommend. they have like 300 beers available!

mtbr member
    Thanks. I've seen pics of bottles of Heady Topper, and maybe even cans, so I was hoping it might be available in regional stores. Oh well. I'll keep my eyes out for your suggestions. From what I read online, there's a beer store in Lenox that's said to have 300 plus beers, and I'm pretty sure I'll drive right by that store a number of times. Lanesboro is unfamiliar to me, but I'll look into Old Forge.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    As mentioned, unfortunately you're a bit too far South for any Heady Topper.
    There are a few decent breweries within an hour or so, and Wandering Star is right in town. I'm not too familiar with any great bottle shops in that area, but hopefully there is something near by with a good local selection. Albany isn't terribly far
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Track down some Jacks Abby, just lagers but awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I live in Florida now but we are from N. Dartmouth Mass. and when we visit, we look for Buzzard Bay Brewery . The brewery was only a couple miles from my house their beers are YUMMY!!! Brews | Buzzards Bay Brewing

mtbr member
    I'll throw Cisco Brewers out there as well. I had some decent stuff from them when I was out that way last year.

Unfortunately, if you want Heady you're going to have to go to The Alchemist as has already been mentioned. Same for the other two amazing VT breweries, Hill Farmstead and Lawson's Finest Liquids. This stuff is incredibly hard to find even in Vermont.

mtbr member
    Thanks all. I don't think I'm going to be able to hit any breweries. I'll have to settle for bottle shops. Am I crazy to think I've seen pictures of Heady Topper in bottles/cans? I thought that might make it easier to find.

Well, if nothing else, I'm hoping to find some beers/brewers that I can't find out West. Founder's, Cigar City, and Brooklyn Brewing. There is a bar with many taps someone mentioned above, Old Forge, in Lanesboro. If I can get over there, maybe they'll have something fun on tap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Am I crazy to think I've seen pictures of Heady Topper in bottles/cans? I thought that might make it easier to find.
    You're not crazy! Cans are available in some local liquor stores, but you probably won't find any much further south than Montpelier.

mtbr member
    Ah, thanks. That's not much of a distribution range. I read in another thread that the brewery got flooded out during a hurricane. I'm not sure if that's affecting can/bottle distribution though.

mtbr member
    So I'm in the Berkshires and found a great place to buy beer in Pittsfield. Spirited Wine and Liquor. 444 Pittsfield Rd. Great selection. Only about a mile from the in-laws too. Highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Over in Amherst there is Amherst Brewery/pub and in North Hampton , North Hampton Brewery both of which I enjoyed. Berkshire brewery in Deerfield is another one. I believe there is a new brew pub in Amherst but am not to sure.