mtbr member
    Jun 2011

New Castle Brown Ale

That's where it is at....I'm just sayin...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Re: New Castle Brown Ale

Welcome to 2002. =)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk.
    2006 Specialized FSRxc / 2006 Redline Conquest / 2009 Specialized Allez
    Gone: 2002 Specialized Big Hit / 2004 Kona Stinky

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eplanajr View Post
    Welcome to 2002. =)
    Welcome to 1992! =)

For the style, I much prefer Brekle's Brown by Anchor.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Re: New Castle Brown Ale

Haha..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk.
    2006 Specialized FSRxc / 2006 Redline Conquest / 2009 Specialized Allez
    Gone: 2002 Specialized Big Hit / 2004 Kona Stinky

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The last time I drank a Newcastle on purpose, was in 2002 and that was only because I was in Newcastle at the time... That's where I was at...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Whenever I'm at a place that only sells big breweries stuff I always get new Castle.

Hi.
    I can't stand Newcastle. It's unbearably sweet without any malt complexity. Plus the whole corn grits and liquid sugar thing are really detectable to me.

I'd rather drink...well...a lot of things.

Two Headed Boy
    I went to a bar I'd never been to before to see a friend who was in from out of town tonight for supper (attached to a hotel, has a full restaurant next to it available in the bar) and all they had on tap was Newcastle, Bud lite, and Stella.......I chose Newcastle, wasn't terrible, but wasn't even close to good......
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

Unfit Norwegian
    Friends of mine who drink Newcastle usually get pretty blown away when I give them a Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale to try.

mtbr member
    Can't stand it...I'm just saying!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
    Friends of mine who drink Newcastle usually get pretty blown away when I give them a Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale to try.
    My initial reaction to this thread was "It's no Sam Smith's!". It appears someone thought the same. No qualms with Newkie Brown. I do enjoy it if I can find it on tap. But Sam Smith's is the stuff of legends.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by goatman2304 View Post
    That's where it is at....I'm just sayin...
    I used to agree with you before I knew what the Craft Beer Movement was about. I used to drink NewCastle as my go-to beer because I liked it better than bud/coors/mgd, but I did not really know why I liked it better until a good friend of mine turned me on to the craft beer scene and handed me an Alesmith Anvil ESB to replace the newcastle in my hand. I went full craft and never looked back.

On Friday I was able to introduce another friend of mine who is out visiting from Texas to that very same beer, Alesmith Anvil ESB.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was very lucky when it came to the Craft Beer phenomena. From 2001-2004 I lived in northwest Cornwall, UK. The two major brewers there Skinner's and St. Austell Ales were both standing members of CAMRA, the Commission For Real Ale. As a result, I was exposed to "craft" type beers before the Craft Craze had fully launched here in the States. Many may argue that the craft beer thing was well established in the states by 2001. That may be, but it was nothing on the scale that it is now.

All that said, I still haven't found a cream ale here that I like as much I loved Cornish Cream from St. Austell. I mostly drank at St. Austell brew pubs out of conveinience. There wasn't a Free House within stumbling distance of my flat...

St. Austell was also my first exposure to a truely hoppy brew. HSD "Hick's Special Draft" is the official name though we affectionately called it "High Speed Death". A lovely hoopy bitter, but after six or seven pints while playing darts it could leave you with a gnarly hangover.

I came back to California in late 2004 and was expecting to miss my good Cornish beers terribly, but I was delighted to find Ballast Point still going strong and expanded dramatically in San Diego! I think the first of their beers I had tried was Humpback Ale way back in 1994-95.

Now there are dozens upon dozens of great brewers just in California! Not to mention the rest of the country! I think we have well surpassed England when it comes to brewing...

I still tend to let my beers warm a bit before drinking. I feel that even with all of the advances in beer brewing here in the States, we tend to serve them too cold...

As I said, the last time I had a Newcastle Brown was in Newcastle. I think it was only served in one of the pubs I frequented in Cornwall and then only in bottles. No way was I drinking from a bottle when there were a plethora of locally brewed cask ales, fresh and ready to be pulled all around me!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Samuel Smiths is wonderful!

Hillbilly
    I'd pick it if I had to choose from an extremely limited line-up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Newcastle brown is mocked here in the UK...a lot!
    Biking lover from the UK.

Yes I am boring enough to run a website about Bread Machines. What of it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
    I agree. Samuel Smith's is a great brown ale. Snow Shoe Grizzly Brown Ale is another good one (IMO).