Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,657

    Mtbr Beer Guide published

    The Mtbr Best Beer Guide | Mountain Bike Review

    What do you think???

    Post comments there too in the article about your Top 5 lists.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bob-o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    55
    "Beer is cheap" .... uh oh, anyone have Betty Ford's number?

  3. #3
    I <3 NM
    Reputation: MTBNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,118
    Good stuff. Lots of great beer choices in the US these days.

    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.


  4. #4
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,657
    Quote Originally Posted by bob-o View Post
    "Beer is cheap" .... uh oh, anyone have Betty Ford's number?

    Beer is cheap... until you get in to it.

    I tell you, some of these brewers are raking in the dough.

    We should attach some our beer receipts. I once got rung up with a $500 bill. Hey, it was 20% off!

    fc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mtbr Beer Guide published-375860_10151428390278508_618791007_n.jpg  

    IPA will save America

  5. #5
    I <3 NM
    Reputation: MTBNate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,118
    No kidding, a 4pk of Oskar Blues Ten Fiddy is $15.

    Most good beer is $10 per 6 pk these days - that adds up fast!
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.


  6. #6
    Beer Please!
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,361
    Welcome to the beer forum Francois, is this your first time posting in here, because that is one heck of a first time post......
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bob-o's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Beer is cheap... until you get in to it.

    I tell you, some of these brewers are raking in the dough.

    We should attach some our beer receipts. I once got rung up with a $500 bill. Hey, it was 20% off!

    fc
    I agree... I used to buy a 12 pack for $12, now It's a 6 pack and sometimes a 4 pack for $12.

    I haven't dropped 5 bills on brew though.. looks like you put a nice dent in a Whole Pay Check's stock with that one!

  8. #8
    swag ho Administrator
    Reputation: francois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    18,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Welcome to the beer forum Francois, is this your first time posting in here, because that is one heck of a first time post......
    Right on man. I think this is my second time posting here. I hang out with jtmartino though.

    I travel a lot and I've figured out a way to carry 8 Plinys everywhere I go so I can give them away. Let's just say I've gained a lot of friends. One guy was so happy he mailed me 6 rare beers and a Westy.

    fc
    IPA will save America

  9. #9
    Beer Please!
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,361
    Awesome! Yeah I have done some trading with people and I love giving away the home brew that I make, or introducing people who claim to not like beer to a style that they might like.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    787
    Good stuff - though I think jmartino's inclusion of MOAS on
    "Josh Martino’s Top 5 Beers for the Hardcore Enthusiast Fan (Seasonal Beers, No One-Offs)" is a bad choice. MOAS is the 2nd best Pelican offering - Stormwatcher is much better IMHO.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

  11. #11
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    Good stuff - though I think jmartino's inclusion of MOAS on
    "Josh Martino’s Top 5 Beers for the Hardcore Enthusiast Fan (Seasonal Beers, No One-Offs)" is a bad choice. MOAS is the 2nd best Pelican offering - Stormwatcher is much better IMHO.
    Ha! Good choice - Stormwatcher's is fantastic, and it's a great base beer for MoAS, but I think the barrel-aging really helps meld the beer. We had both side-by-side last year and just about everyone at the tasting preferred the MoAS - it has a richer, smoother flavor (although Stormwatcher's had a brighter profile that some people may enjoy.) Some people claim that Stormwatcher's has more complexity, but I think it's just an imbalance in the beer that is rectified by a few months in bourbon barrels.

    I recently had MoAS from 2010 and can say it's absolutely fantastic with a few years on it. 2-3 is optimal for that beer. MoAS is second in my book only to King Henry, which is no longer available. I have not yet tried Wooden Hell from Flossmoor (particularly because it has a ton of trade value) and I haven't done a side-by-side between MoAS and Kuhnhenn BBBW, but that's on the docket for 2014 .

    If you're ever in the SF Bay Area, hit me up and we can meet up for a beer or a tasting.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    787
    I've done both verticals and side by sides with Stormwather and MOAS. Wife and I been vacationing in Pacific City for years around T-giving for years now. I've got several years of both waiting for the right occasion to do a massive and epic vertical party. I'm just not a huge fan of barrel aging. I'll never agree that MOAS is smoother than Stormwatcher. But, that's why Pelican makes more than one flavor.

    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Ha! Good choice - Stormwatcher's is fantastic, and it's a great base beer for MoAS, but I think the barrel-aging really helps meld the beer. We had both side-by-side last year and just about everyone at the tasting preferred the MoAS - it has a richer, smoother flavor (although Stormwatcher's had a brighter profile that some people may enjoy.) Some people claim that Stormwatcher's has more complexity, but I think it's just an imbalance in the beer that is rectified by a few months in bourbon barrels.

    I recently had MoAS from 2010 and can say it's absolutely fantastic with a few years on it. 2-3 is optimal for that beer. MoAS is second in my book only to King Henry, which is no longer available. I have not yet tried Wooden Hell from Flossmoor (particularly because it has a ton of trade value) and I haven't done a side-by-side between MoAS and Kuhnhenn BBBW, but that's on the docket for 2014 .

    If you're ever in the SF Bay Area, hit me up and we can meet up for a beer or a tasting.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

  13. #13
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucherous View Post
    I'm just not a huge fan of barrel aging.
    Well that's your problem right there!

Similar Threads

  1. Why I trust mtbr beer recommendations more than BA...
    By debaucherous in forum Beer Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-15-2013, 03:48 PM
  2. The Blog from the GGR event is NOW PUBLISHED!
    By cyberdivachick in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2012, 02:12 PM
  3. Portland, OR mtbr/beer folks?
    By JFryauff in forum Beer Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 11:08 PM
  4. First post is on mtbr forum is for beer
    By racnee in forum Beer Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 04:30 PM
  5. Beer Glossary, Guide and FAQ
    By francois in forum Beer Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-20-2011, 11:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •