Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    I <3 NM

New question here. Moving to Southern Germany for 5+ Yrs - What should be on my MUST drink/visit list?

I am relocating to Stuttgart, Germany in a couple weeks and will have lots of travel opportunities. Tough gig, I know..

What are the "must seek out and drink" beers and breweries?

Thx in advance!
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Whoa! That's out of the blue, no?
    No more Indy...I'm sure you're heartbroken

Seek out anything and everything!!!

In the surrounding area, you'll have:
    Sophie's Brauhaus
    Feuerbacher- Wichtel
    Dinkelacker-Schwaben Bräu
    Brauerei Wilhelm Ketterer

Plus some great independent brewers like Ottinger, Schneider, Weihenstephaner, etc.

Go everywhere and try everything...seriously! I was amazed by the beer in Germany.
    Plus, in Stuttgart you'll have serious access to Cantillon and other European goodies.

Super jealous.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

I <3 NM
    I'm based in Albuquerque, NM where my fav brewery is La Cumbre Brewing Co - super tasty IPAs & stouts... going to miss IPAs.

It might seem sudden, but this relo been in negotiation since early Nov. Thanks for the intel and I will do my best to take in as much delishiousness as I possibly can!

I'm looking forward to drinkiin.. er... visiting Belgium.
    Last edited by MTBNate; 04-11-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Beer Please!
    I must say I am quite jealous of you right now. I would gladly give up west coast IPA for a chance to live in Germany for a few years, plus you are going to be so close to Porsche as well.....

Like Josh said, try everything you can and let me add, document it and share it for us!
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Self-defeatist
    Two words: Bam. Berg.
    I'm covered in beer.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    I'm based in Albuquerque, NM where my fav brewery is La Cumbre Brewing Co - super tasty IPAs & stouts... going to miss IPAs.

It might seem sudden, but this relo been in negotiation since early Nov. Thanks for the intel and I will do my best to take in as much delishiousness as I possibly can!

I'm looking forward to drinkiin.. er... visiting Belgium.
    Haha...sorry, I confused you for the other Nate for a second, my bad.

There are a lot of European craft brewers trying to emulate the "American" IPA style now, so I'm sure you'll find something.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

Hi.
    Wow, I'm insanely jealous. I'm a "hop head" and I absolutely did not miss hoppy beers while in Germany, although I wasn't there for 5 years (only a week!) There's something about German beer that is different than anything in the US. It reminds me of fresh baked bread...even the lighter styles. Perhaps the malted barley is just much higher quality?

Stuttgart is a great location. An easy drive to Frankfurt, Heidelberg, Wiesbaden, etc. Be sure to hit Der Andechser im Ratskeller in Wiesbaden - some of the best beer I had in the whole country and solid food too. Even if you can't go, check out fresh Andechs beer wherever you can...Stuttgart isn't too far from the brewery itself.

Wow, what a huge change from NM. Hopefully you love it as much as I did...I'd move there for work too if given the right opportunity.

I <3 NM
    I'm arriving right in the middle of Das Stuttgarter Frühlingsfest (think of it as a springtime Oktoberfest).

mtbr member
    As previously mentioned, Bamberg is awesome - I think they average 2 microbreweries on each street, plus it was relatively untouched during the war so the architecture is worth checking out with an easily maintained buzz...

dirtbag
    ahh... I've spent many an hour over in the Cannstatt for the Fruhlingsfest and the Canstatter Volksfest (Stuttgart's Oktoberfest) which is just as good at the famous one over in Munchen. Also make a stop over to the Andechs monastery, it's a small town near Munchen. Very good beer from the monastery, not as famous as *mostly* Belgian Trappist monastery beer (a definite pilgrimage you need to undertake) but great all the same.

There are hundreds of breweries in Deutschland and each region/large cities have their favorites. I was there for three years and tried to sample all of them and I don't think I even made a dent on the extensive list. As said before, the Germans aren't into IPAs and I've found the best tasting beer in Europe in Belgium and surprisingly, Czech Republic.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Kloster Andechs (closer to Munich). There's a little hotel at the bottom of the hill. Wake up, climb the hill to the Monastery, drink their wheat beers and eat pig and pretzels in the beergarden while enjoying the view, then stumble back down. Heavenly in the summer.

Cyklops

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyklops View Post
    Kloster Andechs (closer to Munich). There's a little hotel at the bottom of the hill. Wake up, climb the hill to the Monastery, drink their wheat beers and eat pig and pretzels in the beergarden while enjoying the view, then stumble back down. Heavenly in the summer.

Cyklops
    Sounds like the perfect day.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

I <3 NM

Moving to Southern Germany for 5+ Yrs - What should be on my MUST drink/visit l

Ah, hallo Hefe

Hi.
    Ah, hallo Hefe
    Very nice! If you like that, you're going to enjoy it there

Afric Pepperbird
    When my dad was stationed in Germany (early 60's) he loved the beer halls, but hated when the German barmaids reached across the table to hand you your beer, and their armpit hairs left tracks in the butter sitting upon the table.

Beware the hair!!

dirtbag
    Ah, hallo Hefe

Finally made it in country? Don't forget to check out your local getrankemarkt!
    Amolan

Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post
    Whoa! That's out of the blue, no?
    No more Indy...I'm sure you're heartbroken
    I've actually found a bit of a niche here. Still not much of a job to speak of, but I've become the local mtb club's mapping guru and have started on a pretty big project with them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was stationed in Germany I tried everything. Almost every village of size had at least one brewery. Lots of pils, and wiesen biers. I did not see hardly any stouts, pales or IPA which I prefer now. Try everything. If it is made by monks exspecially. Drink from the glass boot!

Besides the bier, every place seems to have their own version do sausage. Also, we always hit a little Turkish stand that had killer giros. Very good.

wat
    Hofbräuhaus Traunstein 1612er Zwickelbier. It's one my personal favorites. They also have a Helles that's really good.. Definitely recommend. Goes well with a nice schweinshaxe or schweinbraten
    12 Trek Superfly AL Elite
    98 GT STS 1000 DS

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Be prepared for a few things: German beers are often overhyped, there's a lot less variety (mainly pils and weisens, as Brian mentions above), and they like to mix beer and soda (Radler, Colaweisen, etc.). Don't get me wrong, there are some great ones but you have to wade through a lot of mediocrity. I'm by no means a connoisseur, so take it for what it's worth.

What's not overhyped though - Oktoberfest! Make those reservations early though.

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
    What's not overhyped though - Oktoberfest! Make those reservations early though.
    2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite
    Frankenbike (Pump/BMX track bike)
    1993 Colnago Elegant

Hi.
    Be prepared for a few things: German beers are often overhyped, there's a lot less variety (mainly pils and weisens, as Brian mentions above), and they like to mix beer and soda (Radler, Colaweisen, etc.). Don't get me wrong, there are some great ones but you have to wade through a lot of mediocrity. I'm by no means a connoisseur, so take it for what it's worth.

Gonna have to disagree with you here. German beers are no more hyped than American beers, yet Germans have the ability to consistently make a high-quality product without glaring flaws, unlike many American breweries. You may or may not like the style of various German beers, but for the style they are the best in the world.

That said, there are a huge number of German styles given the manufacturing restrictions imposed by the Reinheitsgebot, or German Purity Law. On the right side of this page you'll get an idea of all the different styles brewed there:

German Beer Styles

You won't easily find huge triple IPAs or 15% BA stouts in Germany, but you will find excellent beer that has the best price/quality ratio of anywhere in the world.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

I never understood the beer/soda drinks.

As for Oktoberfest, very fun. Go with a crowd, get a table to share with others. Besides this, many villages, towns, etc. have similiar festivals during the year. I enjoyed these as much as Oktobefest.

Went on a few "volsmarches" also. Great way to wal/hike through the country side with bier gardens along the way. Also, get on the train and travel Europe. Thing I wish I did more.

I <3 NM
    Picked these up at the Getränkefachmarkt yesterday..

I <3 NM
    First bike path ride here... no one went thirsty:
    Saturday Ride Passion... or maybe "Beer" passion would be a better descriptor?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast