mtbr member

Monk's Café Flemish Sour Red Ale

Looking forward to trying some Monk's Café Flemish Sour Red Ale today....

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48/10482

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony777
    Looking forward to trying some Monk's Café Flemish Sour Red Ale today....

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48/10482
    I tried it a few months ago. It was interesting. I had never had a beer like it before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I would certainly try it again in the future 'cause it was goooood.

Afric Pepperbird
    I'd try it. I really love Deschutes Brewing's The Dissident, so I'm sure this is almost as good.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    OMFG i love monk's cafe. if you like sours at all, you'll love it. it is now my standard "i like this. what else ya got?" beer in any place that has it, or is familiar with it.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It had a little too much sweetness for me...

Not bad, but not at the top of my list.

mtbr member
    Definitely a sweet beer. Reminds me of Woodchuck Cider but much better. Had great carbonation, almost a champagne quality to it. Picked up on the green apple and cherry notes.

Hi.
    Monk's Cafe is good, but I definitely prefer Dissident or Red Poppy from Lost Abbey. I love almost every sour ale that comes out of Russian River, but I believe they're considered "American Wild Ales" vs. the Flanders Oud Bruins.

A lot of local breweries were making sour versions of their beers that I was able to try during SF Beer Week. There's some good stuff on the horizon (sour Porters and Stouts!)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have had New Belgium's La Folie a couple of time now. Definitely my favorite sour!

Hmmm, sour stout sounds pretty damn good. Any commercial versions available right now?

Hi.
    Anderson Valley had one at the event, and I know Bell's makes one. I love the mix of chocolate, coffee, and tart cherry flavors from Anderson Valley's. Cascade Brewing always has a ton of sours on tap, and are worth checking out when in Portland.

I don't believe any of them are bottled, unfortunately.

mtbr member
    I've tried the Monk's Gueuze and it was pretty tasty.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ZachTX
    I have had New Belgium's La Folie a couple of time now. Definitely my favorite sour!

Hmmm, sour stout sounds pretty damn good. Any commercial versions available right now?
    la folie is great. anything with wild yeast is interesting. new belgium has a new one out called "La terroir" that's pretty good. if you can get la folie, this should be easy to find.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    Cascade Brewing always has a ton of sours on tap, and are worth checking out when in Portland.

I don't believe any of them are bottled, unfortunately.
    They are all very fine, if a bit too spendy. No, they are not bottled.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by markf
    la folie is great. anything with wild yeast is interesting. new belgium has a new one out called "La terroir" that's pretty good. if you can get la folie, this should be easy to find.
    That's the dry-hopped pale ale, right? I've had it as well. Good, but very different than the other sours I've had.

I know that hops prevents lactobacillus from doing it's thing. Is the La Terroir only dry hopped? As in brewed, fermented, soured, then dry hopped, with minimal hopping during the boil.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Monks Sour (at least from what I've been told from guys at Monks Cafe in Philly) is a brew that was made by Rodenbach, or with Rodenback yeast as an attempt to fill a hole in the market that was left when Rodenbach pulled out. It was made specifically for Monk's cafe in Philly, arguably the best Belgian Beer gastro-pub (or bar) in the US.

As to why anyone would pay DOUBLE the price of a real Belgian sour for one of the New-Belgium versions is beyond me. It is like paying more for a cheap imitation.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    well, in philly i bet monk's cafe is relatively affordable. in iowa i pay a little more or the same for new belgium stuff vs a real belgian.

as far as "knock off" vs "real", sometimes a new twist on an old world style is a good thing. example: IPA. sure a classic british IPA has it's charm, but most here would prefer the ultra hopped american version. so don't knock the "knock off" until you've tried it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    oooooh monk's cafe. Possibly my favorite place to eat and enjoy beer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by markf
    well, in philly i bet monk's cafe is relatively affordable. in iowa i pay a little more or the same for new belgium stuff vs a real belgian.

as far as "knock off" vs "real", sometimes a new twist on an old world style is a good thing. example: IPA. sure a classic british IPA has it's charm, but most here would prefer the ultra hopped american version. so don't knock the "knock off" until you've tried it.
    Yeah, but I LIVE in California and that is where I get most of my "take home" beers. I grew up in the Philly area so I hit up Monks when I go home to visit the parents/family.

For example the 22oz NewBlegium La-Whatever line is $16 or more. I can get most belgains including Rodenbach for about $10 and that is a 750ml... More volume than a 22oz.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    damn son. around here (iowa) la folie is $12 or so and most belgians are $10-15 depending on brand and style etc. other fancy NB stuff is $8-14.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Monk's Cafe is good, but I definitely prefer Dissident or Red Poppy from Lost Abbey. I love almost every sour ale that comes out of Russian River, but I believe they're considered "American Wild Ales" vs. the Flanders Oud Bruins.

whatever she says gueuze.
    Monks is o.k., IMO; a little too sweet, sort of like Duchese... Definitely not as tasty as RR sours or Lost Abbey's. Anyone here tried the new Cigar City/Bruery collaboration sour?