Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Beer Please!

Mid West Beers to look for?

Hey guys,
    My wife is heading to Columbus Ohio on Friday to work a trade show over the weekend. Anything I should have her on the look out for that I probably cannot get in SoCal? Any recommended places she should try out?

I am going to have her look for KBS from Founders, but I imagine that is just a hard bottle to get no matter where you live.

Here is the List I gave her so far:

Here are a few beers to look for while in Ohio this weekend.

KBS (Kentucky Bourbon Stout) from Founders
    KBS | Our Beers | Founders Brewing Co.

Bourbon County Stout from Goose Island. I have a bottle of the regular kind, but would like to try the Coffee and Rye Versions:
    Goose Island

Goose Island

Surley Brewing:
    Surly Brewing Co. | Beer | Year Round Beers

Bender and Coffee Bender

Surly Brewing Co. | Beer | Seasonal Beers

Darkness, Smoke or Abrasive (these will be hard to find)

Three Flyods
    Our Beers 3floyds

Zombie Dust, Robert The Bruce (Should be easy to find)
    Dark Lord (hard to find, but you might get lucky if you ask nicely, possibly the best Imperial Stout I have ever had)
    Alpha Klaus and Black Sun (Both are winter releases, so might be hard to get?)

Adam Hall recommended Half Acre, I have never had anything from them, but here is a link to their beer list:

The Beers ? Half Acre Beer Company

If I come up with more options I will let you know. I do not expect you to get me everything on this list, just some suggestions of what to look for.

Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    I gotta tell ya', it's hard to find those seasonal beers even in MN. The Darkness and Smoke can have lines around the brewery like a Stones concert when they are released. The Bitter Brewer and Overrated are available now for seasonals. I haven't seen the Abrasive since last winter. She would have to get real lucky to find those, almost Waldo lucky. The Bender and Coffee Bender are available year round in good supply though. The Coffee Bender is, IMHO, the best coffee beer I've ever had, but it's a little more spendy than the others at 13.99 for the 4 pack. The Bender is kinda in between a brown and a porter, more than a brown less than a porter. I remember reading somewhere that browns and porters originally were the same recipe. The porter was the 1st runnings off the grain and the brown was the 2nd. The bender then is the blend.
    Zombie Dust is a nice beer and I'll have to keep an eye out for the Dark Lord so thanks for the head's up. Goose Island is bigger brewery so there's a better chance she'll find those.
    I would recommend New Glarus brewery, but she's in OH not WI. I would recommend the Summit seasonals if those are available. Anyway, good luck to her and you.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That is a pretty good list, but you won't find most of it because it is out of season or not distributed to OH. Surly doesn't sell anything outside of Minnesota (similar to New Glarus in WI).

I'm not sure what you can get in SoCal, but anything you can get from Three Floyds is well worth it. I also have liked beer from Two Brothers, and they just pulled back some of their distribution so it is a little harder to find. Half Acre is from Illinois, but the Daisy Cutter is a decent IPA. I have not found the Double Daisy Cutter but would expect good things. Great Lakes brewing is from Cleveland and makes a great lineup of beers. The Edmund Fitzgerald Porter is perhaps the best Porter I've ever had. Finally, a friend from work keeps promising to bring a bottle of Head Hunter form Fat Head brewing. He thinks it is one of the best IIPAs made.

Wish I had more to recommend from Wisconsin, but I don't know how much of our local stash gets sent to Ohio.

mtbr member
    Have her pick up a 4 pack of Great Lakes "Lake Erie Monster".

These places might be a good starting point.
    Beer & Liquor

Easton

The Barrel & Bottle | Merchants | The North Market

Palmer's Beverage Center - Columbus, OH - Reviews - BeerAdvocate

Beer Please!
    Thanks Guys!

She already searched out a few of those places on your list Jamenstall. The Kopish - I figured Surley might be a pipe dream, but heck maybe she can ask real nice and find a guy who has something in his back room to sell. I was able to get a Brooklyn Black ops well out of season once just by talking to the guy and getting something from the back since we cannot get anything from Brooklyn in Socal (I was in NYC at the time).

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If popping through east central Iowa (both right off Interstate 80), might I recommend:
    Millstream Brewing
    Oldest brewery in Iowa. The Schild Brau and Back Road Stout are classics in this neighborhood, and for good reason

New kid on the block is:
    Backpocket Brewing

Their Wooden Nickel is easily the best brew that I've ever tried. Tastes like the earth!

Glad to see you have Three Floyds on the list

Have her look for the Three Floyds Arctic Panzer Wolf DIPA. I got this one on tap recently and it's a pretty righteous IPA. Don't know if they distribute to Cowlumbus, but have her look for Flat 12's Cucumber Kolsch, too. I had it on tap, but was told it's even better bottled. Haven't had a chance to look for it myself.

A bunch of my favorites are unfortunately only available on tap at the brewery, and they oftentimes don't even permit growler fills for the very limited release ones.

Beer Please!
    Thanks again guys, I had her pack a second duffle in her bag so she can load up her checked bag and take the left over junk carry on. Hopefully she brings me a few treasures.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you got yourself a keeper. I don't know if my wife would be down with this.

Beer Please!
    My wife also enjoys drinking beer too.

Beer Please!
    My wife hit up a Bottle Shop in Columbus last night and got to talking to the shop owner for a bit about higher ABV beers. She had initially asked him about a number of things on my list I sent her, including KBS from Founders. He told her she would have a hard time finding it...... Apparently there is some sort of import law against higher ABV beers in Ohio, so they cannot carry certain beers. She started talking to him about the Brew Dog beers that exceed 30%, and how we had ordered a Tactical Nuclear Penguin from them when it first came out.

After a while he went in the back and came out with a few special bottles since "if we were willing to order beer from Scotland, he should sell her some of the stuff in the back".

Here are two pics she sent to me of her haul so far:

I love my wife.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    I was going to recommend Jackie O's, Fat Heads, and Brew Kettle...but I see by the picture that she found some already.
    Have her look out for The Lavery, Thirsty Dog, Hopp'in Frog, and Mt Carmel as well.
    She'll probably be able to find some Bell's, Finch's, and Two Brothers as well.
    Three Floyd's is super limited to OH...but it's around.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    That house better be spotless with a nice bouquet on the dining room table when Mrs. Klurejr returns!

b a n n e d
    If its not too late, look for anything from Bell's. Brewed in Kalamazoo, Michigan and they make damn fine beers. Particularly their summer brew, Oberon, which is truly a fantastic beer. I hear this year its quite good . . . anything from them is good though.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Hi.
    Great Lakes is absolutely one of my favorite midwest brewers. Insanely good stuff - Rye of the Tiger IPA is a must-try.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    Great Lakes is absolutely one of my favorite midwest brewers. Insanely good stuff - Rye of the Tiger IPA is a must-try.
    Alchemy Hour is a great DIPA as well.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    revolution brewing in chicago,
    half acre brewing chicago
    kee wee naw brewing upper pen Mi.

Beer Please!
    Here is what came out of the suitcase last night.

well, two checked bags, one was right at the 50lb limit and the other was over 30lbs......

mtbr member
    She's a keeper! I also will concur with a previous poster, the Edmund Fitzgerald is a nice porter. Enjoy those brews!
    No fuss with the MUSS

b a n n e d
    Yup, good selection there indeed. The Edmund Fitz is quite good too.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    You're wife is awesome needless to say.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Looks like a great haul. You'll have to post a review of the Headhunter. Hope you and your wife enjoy.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Your wife must really love you (and beer!).
    How did she pack the bottles that she checked, if you don't mind me asking?
    My wife and I packed about 8 bottles of wine home from our trip to Italy a number of years ago and just used our clothes. It was a bit of a nail biter as we had to resort to using two cashmere sweaters for the last couple bottles. Luckily none of them were stained purple upon our arrival home.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
    Your wife must really love you (and beer!).
    How did she pack the bottles that she checked, if you don't mind me asking?
    My wife and I packed about 8 bottles of wine home from our trip to Italy a number of years ago and just used our clothes. It was a bit of a nail biter as we had to resort to using two cashmere sweaters for the last couple bottles. Luckily none of them were stained purple upon our arrival home.
    She was able to get some Bubble wrap from one of the Stores, and more from her trade show booth, she also used some cardboard from the six pack packaging to build some walled support in the duffle bag.

When I shipped home a bunch of beer from NY back in march I actually brought bubble wrap with me and wrapped up the rest in shirts and jeans.

The only danger when using clothes is I once had a t shirt get ripped from where the bottle cap snagged it in transit.

I have yet to have a bottle Break.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    That Backwards Bastard is heavy hitting stuff. My parentals lugged some out to CO from IN last year. Great looking haul! Definitely jealous we can't get some of the Founders, 3 Three Floyds, Bells, etc out here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast