mtbr member

Micro-distillery, craft spirit Passion?

Lots of love for craft brewing and microbreweries but I havent seen anything about craft spirits and microdistilleries.

Ones that I've enjoyed:
    Dogfish Head - awesome vodka and rum, decent whiskey IIRC

Rogue Distillery - good spirits as with their beers, really liked their spiced rum and spruce juniper gin aged in wine barrels

Corsair Distillery - awesome newish spirit outfit, amazing red Absinth, triple-smoke whiskey, and aged gin.

Horne Rum (distilled in SC, bottled in GA) - really rich vanilla flavor, so smooth

Feckin Whiskey - bought it as a joke, realized it was delicious
    Last edited by GTscoob; 08-29-2012 at 01:55 PM.

mtbr member
    When my wife and I were camping up in the Redwoods, we read about this place.It is small facillity and is in the middle of no where, but they make some good pear brandy. I am not much of hard liquor person, so really can't compare it to anything. To change the subject Ballast Point in San Diego makes Rum, Gin and a Magaritia mix, haven't had them but i am sure someone on this forum from San Diego has had them.

Brandy Peak Distillery - Distillation
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Micro-distillery, craft spirit Passion?-photo.jpg  

A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Ogden's Own has some good stuff (Ogden, UT). Remeber the Five Wives Vodka hooha in Idaho a bit back?

mtbr member
    Nobody loves good spirits?

Beer Me!
    Been a big fan of wiskey, and continuing to get more into it. This is a recent thing for me, and am not in to all spirits, but like good beer it seems the high end spirits are much more palatable than "entry level". We have many superb distillers in Colorado:

Leopold Brothers
    http://www.leopoldbros.com/
    Their Peach Whiskey is spectacular, and their navy strength Gin is bar none the best gin i have ever had.

Stranahan's, one of the first micro distilleries in the country.
    Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey

Pappy Van Winkle 20year is the best bourbon I have ever tried, though it will set you back quite a bit of $$$ and is very hard to get
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    ^^^^ Now we're talking. This is the perfect time of year for some bourbon cocktails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Micro Distilleries are really catching some momentum and have some really great product. The micro-distillery movement is in line to follow the micro brewery trend, just a "few" years behind, just like they followed the small winery movement.

If you try any, just make sure you don't compare them to the big brands, just like you don't compare a great microbrew with a Budweiser. It's not about mimicking JD or Beam or any of the others.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by medium pace View Post
    Micro Distilleries are really catching some momentum and have some really great product. The micro-distillery movement is in line to follow the micro brewery trend, just a "few" years behind, just like they followed the small winery movement.

If you try any, just make sure you don't compare them to the big brands, just like you don't compare a great microbrew with a Budweiser. It's not about mimicking JD or Beam or any of the others.
    So what are your favs? Agree completely on all points.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    So what are your favs? Agree completely on all points.
    Koval out of Chicago makes some really good single grain whiskeys - rye, wheat, oat, millet and spelt. Some very interesting stuff.

Woodinville Whiskey out in Woodinville (Seattle) is great.

The guys at Corsair in Nashville make a huge range of whiskey - a lot of experimental stuff that is way out there.

I could go on forever on this topic, but those are some of the better ones I have had that are also getting larger distribution.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Stranahan's, one of the first micro distilleries in the country.
    Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey
    Can't afford the Pappy Van Winkle -- but that Stranahan's is one of my favorites!

The liquor law in WA changed a few years ago to relax the restrictions on craft distilleries (thanks to Dry Fly!) so we are seeing a mini-renaissance of local producers. Personally, I'm waiting for my buddy's operation, Copperworks Distilling, to open later this year. As a Kentucky boy and the first brewer at Pike way back in the day, he knows a thing or three about making whiskey.

And for those cold, wet winter days building out in the PacNW woods, try some of this in a flask:

Clear Creek Douglas Fir Eaux de Vie

Afric Pepperbird
    Bend, Oregon's very own - and awesome - Bendistillery

Bendistillery | America's Most Award-winning Small Batch Distillery

Plays with tools
    Some friends of mine did a replication of George Washington's rey whisky recipe that turned out really good. We also have an actual distillery in Bend now called Oregon Spirit Distillers. Brand and the crew have been doing some pretty good stuff.

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Bend, Oregon's very own - and awesome - Bendistillery

Bendistillery | America's Most Award-winning Small Batch Distillery
    Except their not an actual distillery. Dirty little secrete they let people believe.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Except their not an actual distillery. Dirty little secrete they let people believe.
    It is now, according to this article.

Bendistillery soon to be… distilling | Hack Bend

Pretty funny operation - they'd take mass-produced wholesale spirits and spice them up. They're not the only ones; a lot of smaller companies don't actually distill their own spirits.

Afric Pepperbird
    Yes, thanks, jmartino; I had that specific article in mind when I posted my reply, yet I forgot to post a link to the article!

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post

Pretty funny operation - they'd take mass-produced wholesale spirits and spice them up. They're not the only ones; a lot of smaller companies don't actually distill their own spirits.
    The way I read that is they are going to do a limited batch of booze that's made from grain grown on their farm in Tumalo. That farm couldn't possibly grow enough grain to keep up with their demand. Last I heard all they had was a little pot still. Something you would use as a serious home distiller or for doing pilot batches. Not something that cold legitimately be used for production runs. The info might be out of date though. I'd also heard rumblings this summer that they were trying to purchase a commercial still second hand.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Just visited the Breckenridge Distillery last night. Tried a few of their new flavors and was mighty impressed. They have a new spiced rum with great vanilla notes and their standard burbon is heavy on the rye which makes for a great whiskey.

mtbr member
    I received a Woodinville Home Barrel Aging Kit last year for Christmas.
    The kit contained two bottles of White Dog clear whiskey and a small oak barrel.
    The White Dog whiskey was very smooth with buttery vanilla tones.
    I aged it for three months in the barrel. It came out dark tan. It is even smoother now. Best whiskey I have ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post

So I did a little asking around and it turns out the Brad and John at Oregon Spirit actually distilled that batch of booze for Bendstillery. So yeah, their still pretending to be a distillery.